Blacks Increasingly Receptive to the Republican Party
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:21:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Blacks Increasingly Receptive to the Republican Party
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Blacks Increasingly Receptive to the Republican Party  (Read 2537 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2005, 07:29:26 PM »

Whose the quintessential RINO candidate out of Scranton and Piccola?

Scranton

I'd say it's a race between Scranton and Swann. While I don't believe you have to be a big name to win, with two more well known people in the race against a little known State Senator, you have to narrow the race down to those two.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2005, 03:36:23 AM »
« Edited: March 09, 2005, 03:40:58 AM by Frodo »

what especially intrigues me about the black vote is how it could change if immigration patterns shift in this coming century from Latin America and Asia to Africa, bringing an influx of immigrants from sub-Saharan Africa.  technically, they would be counted as African Americans as far as looks are concerned.  we already know that native-born African Americans are undergoing a generational change in which younger blacks are less tied to the Democratic Party than their parents or grandparents and more open to other alternatives (difference in life-experiences not least of the causes). 

would this process of decreasing loyalty to the Democratic Party be arrested or accelerated in the event of a major shift in immigration patterns to sub-Saharan Africa?  what do you all think would happen?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2005, 01:28:20 PM »

what especially intrigues me about the black vote is how it could change if immigration patterns shift in this coming century from Latin America and Asia to Africa, bringing an influx of immigrants from sub-Saharan Africa.  technically, they would be counted as African Americans as far as looks are concerned.  we already know that native-born African Americans are undergoing a generational change in which younger blacks are less tied to the Democratic Party than their parents or grandparents and more open to other alternatives (difference in life-experiences not least of the causes). 

would this process of decreasing loyalty to the Democratic Party be arrested or accelerated in the event of a major shift in immigration patterns to sub-Saharan Africa?  what do you all think would happen?

That's a very interesting question.  At this point, immigrants from Africa tend to be well-educated and tend to look with disdain on American blacks.  There is definitely a gulf between the two.

The same can be said, to a lesser extent, about immigrants from Caribbean coutries, yet that hasn't caused a political split.  I have a friend (black) who said that another person we know (Caribbean black, or a cocoanut in the lingo) told her flat out that her parents were lazy because they're American-born blacks (and this was an incorrect assumption in this case).  Yet both Caribbean blacks and American blacks seem to vote overwhelmingly Democratic.

I guess the answer is I don't know.  I am dubious about this supposed trend toward Republicanism among blacks.  I think it will take a very very long time.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2005, 01:31:23 PM »

We might get two black Republican Governors in 2006. Ken Blackwell, the Republican Sec. of State in Ohio, will be running for Governor and Lynn Swann, chair of the President's Fitness Council, will be running for Governor in PA.

Lynn Swann wont win, the 97' Kerry Donation will be brought up.

And then the President (Swann's boss) will come to PA and campaign for him. Nice try.

and we all know how popular Bush is in Pennsylvania, that's why he won the state. Oh wait...
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2005, 02:39:54 PM »

Bush is popular with Republicans, which was the topic, genius.

I don't know that we'll ever have a massive influx of native Africans. At least I hope not, but in any case they can't walk here and the number of professionals isn't overly high. Perhaps if not for AIDS, but that's not going away.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2005, 04:07:15 PM »

We might get two black Republican Governors in 2006. Ken Blackwell, the Republican Sec. of State in Ohio, will be running for Governor and Lynn Swann, chair of the President's Fitness Council, will be running for Governor in PA.

Lynn Swann wont win, the 97' Kerry Donation will be brought up.

And then the President (Swann's boss) will come to PA and campaign for him. Nice try.

and we all know how popular Bush is in Pennsylvania, that's why he won the state. Oh wait...

We were discussing the primary. You did know that Bush has a lot of influence with Republicans, right...?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies