Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:15:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 57
Author Topic: Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring  (Read 128945 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1175 on: August 24, 2014, 02:20:25 PM »

I'd like to emphasize that my intention was to describe his personality more than his physical appearance, since I apparently hadn't made that clear already.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1176 on: August 24, 2014, 02:32:04 PM »

Just throwing this out there, but I'd never be able to have a roommate. Even if he was a decent guy and not one of the 100 kinds of assholes that you find in college, I probably wouldn't be able to cohabit with a complete stranger in such a small space. I really need my privacy.

Aren't you still in college?  Do they let you opt out of having a roommate or something?

Like most French universities, Sciences Po doesn't have dorms. I still live in my parent's house. And in SF, I expressly asked for a single room and got it.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1177 on: August 24, 2014, 02:39:45 PM »

You go to Sciences Po?! I did not know that!
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1178 on: August 24, 2014, 02:43:38 PM »

The whole idea of moving away to live in a dorm for college seems to be largely an American phenomenon, yes (Canada too?).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1179 on: August 24, 2014, 02:53:06 PM »

You go to Sciences Po?! I did not know that!

Really? I think I mentioned it quite a few times throughout the past few years.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1180 on: August 24, 2014, 03:04:27 PM »

The whole idea of moving away to live in a dorm for college seems to be largely an American phenomenon, yes (Canada too?).

I guess it's because we basically had no universities apart from those in the northeast up until the mid/late 18th century. Land was cheap and abundant out in rural areas, which made that an attractive alternative to locating a university in a major city. And a lot of our state universities were established to train farmers and do agricultural research, so they would obviously be located in small towns or rural areas.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1181 on: August 24, 2014, 03:18:25 PM »

How else would you do it, unless you happen to live near a decent school that suits you?

You generally buy an apartment in the city where the university is located. Or you accept to have a 1-hour commute time, as I did. Wink
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1182 on: August 24, 2014, 03:22:58 PM »

My friend studied abroad in Copenhagen and he lived in a dorm with Danish students. They had a bar in the basement.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1183 on: August 24, 2014, 03:58:18 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2014, 04:00:55 PM by Хahar »

Oh yes, and I fully expect the 'racist' accusations to pop up any minute now.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic at all here, but if your roommate is black, please say it directly. There's nothing wrong with pointing it out; black people and white people are different culturally. On the other hand, it is wrong to use racially coded language to imply that he's black ("gangsta", "hood"), so don't do that. If he's not black, then it just sounds odd to use those words.

I take issue with your statement that "black people and white people are different culturally."  That's a broad generalization.  Yes, he happens to be black.  Yes, he happens to enjoy rap and hip hop.  We'd be just as different from each other if he were white or I were black.  And for the record, I would've used the same language despite his race -- it doesn't sound odd to me if used in that context, personally.

No, you would not ever describe a white neighborhood as a "hood". Don't lie. I made an effort to assume good faith, but it's clear that you don't even understand what the problem is.

None of us are perfect in the language that we use, but thoughtful people pay attention when they use offensive language and agree not to use offensive language in the future. Don't pretend that what you said wasn't racist. You clearly anticipated the fact that people would call you out on it:

Maybe instead of being preemptively defensive about the racist things you said, you could try not saying racist things. If for whatever reason you can't understand why it's not okay to describe black people or their communities with the terms "gangsta" or "hood", then don't worry about it. You don't need to understand if it's too difficult. Just don't use those words.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1184 on: August 24, 2014, 03:58:49 PM »

How else would you do it, unless you happen to live near a decent school that suits you?

You generally buy an apartment in the city where the university is located. Or you accept to have a 1-hour commute time, as I did. Wink

That's what I had assumed. But, Christ, an hour? I thought didn't tolerate that nonsense over there.

I had a pretty hard time getting used to it, but I eventually did. Over a week, this actually adds up to about 8-10 more hours lost, which is a lot considering that the typical academic class-time is of about 20 hours. On the other hands, having parents around saves me countless more hours (think cooking, etc.). Wink
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1185 on: August 24, 2014, 04:23:07 PM »

Black people and white people are different culturally.

This is a silly generalisation. Black people and white people are not homogenous groups; I know you know there may be white people who are "culturally" closer to blacks than other whites and vice versa.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1186 on: August 24, 2014, 04:27:55 PM »

Sorry to change the subject, but I appreciate everyone's support in here. I know she was just a cat, but it's tough. Thanks guys. Smiley
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1187 on: August 24, 2014, 04:50:07 PM »

I lost my cat in May of last year. I know how tough this is. I'm sorry for your loss.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1188 on: August 24, 2014, 05:28:07 PM »

This is a silly generalisation. Black people and white people are not homogenous groups; I know you know there may be white people who are "culturally" closer to blacks than other whites and vice versa.

Yeah, obviously I agree that Scott's words were silly and full of pretty awful implications, these kind of generalizations are VERY problematic themselves. Generally one should avoid sentences like "[insert racial group] are X".
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1189 on: August 24, 2014, 06:07:32 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2014, 06:10:30 PM by Emperor Scott »

I'm not trying to be antagonistic at all here, but if your roommate is black, please say it directly. There's nothing wrong with pointing it out; black people and white people are different culturally. On the other hand, it is wrong to use racially coded language to imply that he's black ("gangsta", "hood"), so don't do that. If he's not black, then it just sounds odd to use those words.

I take issue with your statement that "black people and white people are different culturally."  That's a broad generalization.  Yes, he happens to be black.  Yes, he happens to enjoy rap and hip hop.  We'd be just as different from each other if he were white or I were black.  And for the record, I would've used the same language despite his race -- it doesn't sound odd to me if used in that context, personally.

No, you would not ever describe a white neighborhood as a "hood". Don't lie. I made an effort to assume good faith, but it's clear that you don't even understand what the problem is.

None of us are perfect in the language that we use, but thoughtful people pay attention when they use offensive language and agree not to use offensive language in the future. Don't pretend that what you said wasn't racist. You clearly anticipated the fact that people would call you out on it:

Maybe instead of being preemptively defensive about the racist things you said, you could try not saying racist things. If for whatever reason you can't understand why it's not okay to describe black people or their communities with the terms "gangsta" or "hood", then don't worry about it. You don't need to understand if it's too difficult. Just don't use those words.

And here you continue to operate under the assumption that the objective of my comments was to illustrate my dorm mate's race rather than his own personality and individual sense of style.  What's truly racist is that you apparently like to project this standard for "white neighborhoods" versus "black neighborhoods" even though nothing in my post inferred anything about that.  Remember, it is you who specifically expressed that "black people and white people are different culturally."  You choose to view society through that set of lens.  I don't.

I would ask you to just stop interjecting race into the conversation in what I see as a pathetic attempt to veil your own racism, but then that would defeat the point of your accusations entirely.  So I'll leave you to wallow in your own delusions and think what ever you want about me until you come to realize the irony in your words.  Sound good?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1190 on: August 24, 2014, 06:30:07 PM »

It may be a generalization, but it's not necessarily silly.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1191 on: August 24, 2014, 06:34:00 PM »

Scott's wording was poor, but his point was ignored and twisted in order to make it appear that he is a racist. Yes, you could argue that Scott was being “insensitive”, but honestly, who the hell cares at this point? If minor errors in the wording of a sentence is now institutionalized racism in the mind of a certain poster, than he is either hypersensitive or flat out off the reservation.

This form of Social Justice Warriorism (stupid way to phrase it, but I couldn’t think of anything better) needs to stop.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1192 on: August 24, 2014, 07:25:29 PM »

Xahar is correct. Scott's feigning of ignorance and then outrage when he was called out about it (complete with "no you're the real racist" nonsense) is pretty gross.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1193 on: August 24, 2014, 07:35:25 PM »

Scott's wording was poor, but his point was ignored and twisted in order to make it appear that he is a racist. Yes, you could argue that Scott was being “insensitive”, but honestly, who the hell cares at this point? If minor errors in the wording of a sentence is now institutionalized racism in the mind of a certain poster, than he is either hypersensitive or flat out off the reservation.

This form of Social Justice Warriorism (stupid way to phrase it, but I couldn’t think of anything better) needs to stop.

Why can we reliably count on you to always defend this sort of thing?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #1194 on: August 24, 2014, 07:42:04 PM »

Scott's wording was poor, but his point was ignored and twisted in order to make it appear that he is a racist. Yes, you could argue that Scott was being “insensitive”, but honestly, who the hell cares at this point?

Nobody accused Scott of being racist, only of making a racist statement. I was operating under the assumption that Scott was being offensive by accident and so I was explaining the issue with what he said. If he had acknowledged this and moved on, nobody would have held it against him. That he has doubled down and accused me of being the real racist was entirely his own choice.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1195 on: August 24, 2014, 08:10:51 PM »

I do so enjoy it when a black Republican accuses people of being racist.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #1196 on: August 24, 2014, 08:18:52 PM »

Speaking of racism, I need to find some new friends who are not racist. I'm so terrible at making new friends though.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1197 on: August 24, 2014, 08:23:01 PM »

Speaking of racism, I need to find some new friends who are not racist. I'm so terrible at making new friends though.

Well, election maps won't help you make new friends.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1198 on: August 24, 2014, 10:14:41 PM »

How many pictures of Jesus are we talking about here? Do you have an icon corner? No worries about graven images?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #1199 on: August 25, 2014, 12:21:04 AM »

I've already told a few people this privately but I've hesitated to tell the forum at large. I'm finally going the distance and going through a gender-presentation transition. (I'd use a less queer-theory-ese term for this but as it turns out none are really accurate.)

I understand if some of the more socon posters with whom I'm friendly aren't entirely comfortable with or accepting of this but I'd like to ask that they do the courtesy of not giving me grief over it. If anybody else gives me grief over it, I'll treat it as personal attack and use the report function accordingly.

Sounds like you are dealing with a lot of change in your life with this and starting grad school at the same time.  Hope it goes well for you.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 57  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies