Opinion of the U.S. Constitution
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:38:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the U.S. Constitution
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Well?
Freedom Document

Horrible Document

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Opinion of the U.S. Constitution  (Read 2483 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2013, 01:30:57 PM »

Also I love the whole THOSE OLD GUYS WERE RACIST epidemic, pretending as if today's standards existed then.

Ummm... they did? There was already strong opposition to slavery back then.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2013, 01:37:20 PM »

'How is it that we hear the loudest yelps for liberty among the drivers of negroes?'

Samuel Johnson
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2013, 01:40:26 PM »

Also I love the whole THOSE OLD GUYS WERE RACIST epidemic, pretending as if today's standards existed then.

Ummm... they did? There was already strong opposition to slavery back then.

Yeah, but the standard in many areas was "I think Negroes should be free but, it's not like they should have the vote or anything." Tongue The difference is immaterial in deciding whether one would be considered racist by modern standards.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2013, 03:58:02 PM »

There's a lot of discussion about how outdated the document is, but I think it unfair to consider it as a document today without its amendments. That's the whole point of amendments, to keep to document current to the changing needs of the people. So any discussion about slavery and the lack of suffrage seems moot to me. They aren't relevant to the constitution today.

Other concerns are often about the gridlock and lack of of progressive policy. However, I would hold up the EU as an appropriate parallel to the USA. Both are associations of states for common economic policy, and the US goes further in defense and foreign policy through its constitution. How should the European states structure their sovereignty compared to the EU? That question is just as appropriate in the US. The idea that the US should be viewed in parallel to any individual European state makes no sense to me.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2013, 04:52:09 PM »

There's a lot of discussion about how outdated the document is, but I think it unfair to consider it as a document today without its amendments. That's the whole point of amendments, to keep to document current to the changing needs of the people. So any discussion about slavery and the lack of suffrage seems moot to me. They aren't relevant to the constitution today.

I completely agree with this, yet my concerns about the Constitution being outdated were already factoring in the amendments made to the document.

Gridlock is not a serious problem today, in my humble opinion, and the lack of progressive policy would not be either if not for the Constitution itself institutionalizing an out-of-date variation on liberalist ideology - something which will not change for a few generations at the very soonest.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2013, 06:25:56 PM »

Freedom Document, of course.  I get that it was a product of its time, but upon closer examination, it was rather progressive even then.  It shouldn't be worshipped the way a lot of conservatives (and even some liberals) do, though.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2013, 07:13:57 PM »

Silly HP gooses, this is why we have things called "Amendments" to change the Constitution.

As for the Constitution itself. . .  .. tl;dr.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2013, 07:31:01 PM »

On balance a "horrible document", though it has a number of positives. Unfortunately the amendment process is not one of them.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2013, 07:42:52 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2013, 09:10:05 PM »

It was good when it was written.  Nowadays, we could definitely use something better.

That being said... the thought of Eric Cantor, Charlie Rangel, Mitch McConnell, and Harry Reid writing my new constitution is kind of horrifying.

So yeah... I'll just keep the one we have.
Yeah this kid has brought up a really good point.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2013, 12:03:35 AM »

Freedom document. It may have some flaws, but that's why it's been allowed to change with time (both with the amendment process and through new interpretations).

It was good when it was written.  Nowadays, we could definitely use something better.

That being said... the thought of Eric Cantor, Charlie Rangel, Mitch McConnell, and Harry Reid writing my new constitution is kind of horrifying.

So yeah... I'll just keep the one we have.

This, too.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2013, 04:48:05 AM »

Freedom Document. Among other things, it has heavily influenced the first Swiss Constitution of 1848. Like all Constitutions, however, it should be carefully but gradually adapted to the changing political realities.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2013, 10:10:24 AM »

So is it okay to excuse the guillotining of political opponents in the past simply because we no longer do that?

This, however, is the best point made in this thread.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2013, 10:17:26 AM »
« Edited: October 20, 2013, 10:23:23 AM by Frodo »

Like any document written by mortals it has its flaws, but overall it is a freedom document to this very day.  Apart from a couple of new amendments (Equal Rights and Voting Rights), I like it just the way it is.  
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2013, 11:05:43 AM »

Mixed, lean Horrible Document because of Constitunional fundamentalism.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies