Italian Elections and Politics 2018: Yellow Tide
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:44:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Italian Elections and Politics 2018: Yellow Tide
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 84
Author Topic: Italian Elections and Politics 2018: Yellow Tide  (Read 291656 times)
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #800 on: October 17, 2016, 03:24:34 AM »

So, whats the likely political fallout if the "no" side prevails?

Hard to say, but Renzi will be in serious trouble - possibly close to a lame duck. He said he wouldn't resign, but Renzi isn't exactly known for keeping his word.

That said, without a voting system that guarantees a clear winner, I doubt many will want to go to the polls.
Well, the "Italicum" electoral law is already in place, and its fate is independent from that of the Constitutional Reform, at least formally.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #801 on: October 17, 2016, 06:31:32 PM »

So, whats the likely political fallout if the "no" side prevails?

Hard to say, but Renzi will be in serious trouble - possibly close to a lame duck. He said he wouldn't resign, but Renzi isn't exactly known for keeping his word.

That said, without a voting system that guarantees a clear winner, I doubt many will want to go to the polls.
Well, the "Italicum" electoral law is already in place, and its fate is independent from that of the Constitutional Reform, at least formally.

The Italicum isn't worth much if the Senate, elected under the old system, still needs to give the government confidence.

Also, title edited to reflect the current campaign.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #802 on: October 26, 2016, 02:33:32 PM »

If anyone is wondering, current polls have No around 3-5 points ahead of Yes, with about a quarter of the voters still undecided.

Still hoping Renzi can turn this around.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #803 on: October 26, 2016, 03:14:38 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2016, 03:16:20 PM by Comrade David »

On the basis of a sample of one person, I can now project that Italian Jews are safe "yes" and safe D.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #804 on: October 26, 2016, 03:26:12 PM »

On the basis of a sample of one person, I can now project that Italian Jews are safe "yes" and safe D.

Wait, you're Italian? Huh
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #805 on: October 26, 2016, 09:02:47 PM »

No (though I'd obviously also be safe D, the only sane choice, and therefore safe yes), but a guy I hung out with on Yom Kippur was Smiley Couldn't resist the urge to discuss politics with him...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #806 on: October 27, 2016, 07:52:48 PM »

No (though I'd obviously also be safe D, the only sane choice, and therefore safe yes), but a guy I hung out with on Yom Kippur was Smiley Couldn't resist the urge to discuss politics with him...

FF!

(FTR, being safe D doesn't always translate into safe Yes, depressingly Sad)
Iannis
Rookie
Italy

« Reply #807 on: October 29, 2016, 08:24:06 AM »

I am slightly in favour of the reforms, but the indirect consequence wil be an electoral system in which one single party, even with 30%, can have the majority of seats, after a second round, so also Five Star Movement, and it would be a tragedy.
That's why I prefer that one chamber, the Senate, will remain as now, proportional, so that no crazy leader can have all the power
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #808 on: October 29, 2016, 01:19:39 PM »

I am slightly in favour of the reforms, but the indirect consequence wil be an electoral system in which one single party, even with 30%, can have the majority of seats, after a second round, so also Five Star Movement, and it would be a tragedy.
That's why I prefer that one chamber, the Senate, will remain as now, proportional, so that no crazy leader can have all the power

No. With 30%, there will be a runoff between the top 2, meaning that the winning party will have won a majority.

I don't think the Italicum is perfect, far from it, but this talking point needs to die.
Iannis
Rookie
Italy

« Reply #809 on: October 29, 2016, 06:38:11 PM »

No. With 30%, there will be a runoff between the top 2, meaning that the winning party will have won a majority.

I don't think the Italicum is perfect, far from it, but this talking point needs to die.
I know how it works.
I can't in any case tolerate that a party like M5s can have absolute majority
Keeping the Senate this nightmare is impossible
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #810 on: November 03, 2016, 10:09:56 AM »

I know how it works.
I can't in any case tolerate that a party like M5s can have absolute majority
Keeping the Senate this nightmare is impossible

You can't design electoral laws just in order to prevent a party from taking power.
If the M5S will win the next elections, it will be due to the ignorance of the electorate and the inability of the Italian political class.
That's the sad truth.

A more efficient government and Parliament, which are the main goals of the constitutional reform, are what is needed in order to fight populisms such as the M5S.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #811 on: November 03, 2016, 10:43:18 AM »

If Renzi wins the referendum, will he call a new election to try and get a friendly senate ASAP and gain a "mandate"?
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #812 on: November 03, 2016, 10:57:10 AM »

If Renzi wins the referendum, will he call a new election to try and get a friendly senate ASAP and gain a "mandate"?
Elections in the spring would be a real possibility.

But that's a pretty big if, since "No" is currently leading in all polls.
The consensus is that the race is at 48% vs 52%, with 15/20% still undecided.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #813 on: November 04, 2016, 10:48:26 AM »

http://www.politico.eu/article/silvio-berlusconi-could-help-matteo-renzi-in-referendum-italy-no/

nooooooooooo
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #814 on: November 04, 2016, 10:49:53 AM »

Doesn't a ''No'' trigger an election too, given Renzi's resignation.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #815 on: November 05, 2016, 09:01:42 PM »

Is there any actual argument for 'No'? At all? Sincere question.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #816 on: November 05, 2016, 09:02:11 PM »

No is a leap in the dark. No one knows what Renzi will really do, and no one knows what happens if he resigns.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #817 on: November 05, 2016, 09:03:43 PM »

No is a leap in the dark. No one knows what Renzi will really do, and no one knows what happens if he resigns.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #818 on: November 05, 2016, 09:05:36 PM »

There certainly are. There is a legitimate worry that, not the constitutional reform itself, but the reform combined with the current electoral law, essentially means giving whichever party wins full control over policy. And considering what parties could win the next elections, it is something to be scared about.

My only counter-argument is that I'm willing to take the risk, if the alternative is to keep having these dysfunctional "grand coalition" governments forever.
Axel Foley
Rookie

« Reply #819 on: November 14, 2016, 06:54:42 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2016, 07:12:22 PM by Axel Foley »

As an Italian leftist without a representation in the actual political spectrum of my native country, I will vote NO. I think it's the only way to prevent in the next general election a take-over by the dangerous Five Star Movement or by the Right( whose actual leader Salvini is an alt-right way worse even than Silvio Berlusconi).
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #820 on: November 14, 2016, 07:11:35 PM »

I'm trying to understand this reform, but it seems to me very weird and confusing. So, the senate will be reduced, and the election for congress will have a second round between the two most voted parties in the first round, right?
Axel Foley
Rookie

« Reply #821 on: November 14, 2016, 07:18:03 PM »

I'm trying to understand this reform, but it seems to me very weird and confusing. So, the senate will be reduced, and the election for congress will have a second round between the two most voted parties in the first round, right?

You're right. But the way to indirectly elect the new, pretty unuseful, Senate is yet to be announced and the electoral law for the Lower House is in my opionion pretty insane...and it is the only law that could bring to power the clownish Five Star Movement or the alt-Right leaded by Matteo Salvini( trust me, with Grillo or Salvini in power even Silvio Berlusconi would resemble a Winston Churchill-type leader).
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #822 on: November 14, 2016, 07:35:48 PM »

You're right. But the way to indirectly elect the new, pretty unuseful, Senate is yet to be announced and the electoral law for the Lower House is in my opionion pretty insane...and it is the only law that could bring to power the clownish Five Star Movement or the alt-Right leaded by Matteo Salvini( trust me, with Grillo or Salvini in power even Silvio Berlusconi would resemble a Winston Churchill-type leader).

Hmm... Yikes! Honestly, if i was Italian i wouldn't know how to vote. If the No wins, Renzi resigns and political caos is back, and if Yes wins you guys get this weird, WTF electoral system. It's a lose lose situation unfortunately. Sad
Axel Foley
Rookie

« Reply #823 on: November 14, 2016, 08:01:18 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2016, 08:03:15 PM by Axel Foley »

Yeah, the sad thing is that I am going to vote on 12/04 choosing for the lesser evil, as I always did.

Meanwhile, postcards from Florence, Sunday 13th of November...it remembers me about something...

SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #824 on: November 15, 2016, 08:36:56 AM »

The Senate will be reduced in terms of Senators and, more importantly, of powers.
It will not be able to kick out the government anymore, and will focus exclusively on local matters, concerning the regions.

Right now, instead, the House and the Senate both discuss the exact same topics, can both give votes of confidence to the government. The only thing differentiating them is the electorate (only those 25 or older can vote for the Senate).
Oh, and also, right now any law has to be approved by both chambers. If even a comma is changed in either chamber, the other one has to approve it from scratch. This really affects the legislative process.

As for the electoral law, yes, the current law has a second round between the two top parties. But a recent agreement between Renzi and part of PD's minority included changes to that.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 84  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies