Italian Elections and Politics 2018: Yellow Tide
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:57:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Italian Elections and Politics 2018: Yellow Tide
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 84
Author Topic: Italian Elections and Politics 2018: Yellow Tide  (Read 293090 times)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: January 29, 2015, 12:53:40 PM »

How'd the first ballot go?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #501 on: January 29, 2015, 12:56:44 PM »

Provisional count says 536 blank votes, 120 for Imposimato (a judge who won the M5S' online primary), 49 for Feltri (right-wing journalist who was the Lega and FdI's candidate), 37 for Castellina (SEL candidate), 23 for Rodotà, and 174 others.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #502 on: January 29, 2015, 01:06:29 PM »
« Edited: January 29, 2015, 01:12:15 PM by sex-negative feminist prude »

Why is the right so against Mattarella? I was under the impression that he was strongly Catholic and more or less down-the-middle, and originally came from the center-left faction of DC. That seems like the profile of a basically conciliatory choice to me. Is the Berlusconist right simply not as friendly with the Catholic Church and Catholic politics as the Italian right traditionally has been? Because especially after the defection of NCD--which as I understand it includes the more Christian-democratic and social-conservative elements of the former PdL; is that accurate?--that wouldn't particularly surprise me. Does it have anything to do with the Vatican endorsing Monti in 2013? Or is it specific to Mattarella as a person?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #503 on: January 29, 2015, 01:19:43 PM »

Why is the right so against Mattarella? I was under the impression that he was strongly Catholic and more or less down-the-middle, and originally came from the center-left faction of DC. Is the Berlusconist right simply not as friendly with the Catholic Church and Catholic politics as the Italian right traditionally has been? Because especially after the defection of NCD--which as I understand it includes the more Christian-democratic and social-conservative elements of the former PdL; is that accurate?--that wouldn't particularly surprise me. Does it have anything to do with the Vatican endorsing Monti in 2013?

Mattarella actually has a bit of an history of clashes with Berlusconi. He resigned from the Andreotti government in 1990 when a law was passed which legalized the situation of Berlusconi's TV networks. He was also a big fan of Oscar Luigi Scalfaro, who regularly clashed with Berlusconi during his presidency. More secondarily, he drafted the famous "Mattarellum" electoral law, in place from 1994 to 2006, which Berlusconi's government repealed when it came to power.

The interesting aspect is that, historically, the left-wing of the DC where Mattarella comes from was probably one of the most anti-Berlusconi factions of the old First Republic (after the PCI/PDS wing). Berlusconi essentially aggregated the Craxi wing of the PSI (hence why he has good relationships with someone like Amato) and the DC's right. He's always seen the Catholic Left as a significant threat, as his hatred of someone like Prodi shows.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #504 on: January 29, 2015, 01:37:44 PM »

Looks like nobody will actually be voting for Mattarella on the first ballot. The showdown will only come on the 4th, when a simple majority is sufficient. Theoretically, Mattarella already has the unanimous support of the left coalition (which has nearly 50% of the seats) and could get additional support from former M5Sers and centrists.

LOL that old trick.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #505 on: January 29, 2015, 01:47:39 PM »

Why is the right so against Mattarella? I was under the impression that he was strongly Catholic and more or less down-the-middle, and originally came from the center-left faction of DC. Is the Berlusconist right simply not as friendly with the Catholic Church and Catholic politics as the Italian right traditionally has been? Because especially after the defection of NCD--which as I understand it includes the more Christian-democratic and social-conservative elements of the former PdL; is that accurate?--that wouldn't particularly surprise me. Does it have anything to do with the Vatican endorsing Monti in 2013?

Mattarella actually has a bit of an history of clashes with Berlusconi. He resigned from the Andreotti government in 1990 when a law was passed which legalized the situation of Berlusconi's TV networks. He was also a big fan of Oscar Luigi Scalfaro, who regularly clashed with Berlusconi during his presidency. More secondarily, he drafted the famous "Mattarellum" electoral law, in place from 1994 to 2006, which Berlusconi's government repealed when it came to power.

The interesting aspect is that, historically, the left-wing of the DC where Mattarella comes from was probably one of the most anti-Berlusconi factions of the old First Republic (after the PCI/PDS wing). Berlusconi essentially aggregated the Craxi wing of the PSI (hence why he has good relationships with someone like Amato) and the DC's right. He's always seen the Catholic Left as a significant threat, as his hatred of someone like Prodi shows.

That's...completely unsurprising, really.

I'm still curious about my question regarding NCD.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #506 on: January 29, 2015, 01:52:51 PM »

NCD opposes Mattarella just as much as Berlusconi, actually. Alfano was reportedly quite pissed off by this choice. So I don't think that was really at play. It's not like NCD is an especially Catholic party as compared to FI, the fault lines have become very different over the last few years. Although it is allied with Casini's very-Catholic UDC, and Casini himself was rumored as a potential candidate, so he might have felt "if it's a Catholic, it has to be me".
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #507 on: January 29, 2015, 03:30:52 PM »

Here's a more detailed tally.

Ferdinando Imposimato   120
Vittorio Feltri   49
Luciana Castellina   37
Emma Bonino   25
Stefano Rodotà   23
Gabriele Albertini   14
Claudio Sabelli Fioretti   11
Romano Prodi   9
Mauro Morelli   9
Massimo Caleo   8
Marcello Gualdani   6
Pier Luigi Bersani   5
Sergio Mattarella   5
Others  83
Blank  538
Invalid  33
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #508 on: January 29, 2015, 03:38:12 PM »

Obligatory
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #509 on: January 29, 2015, 04:40:42 PM »

Ironically, Mattarella's profile is as similar to Scalfaro's as it could get. Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #510 on: January 29, 2015, 05:18:50 PM »

Francesco Totti received five votes. They're invalid because he's 38 years old. The President must be at least 50 years old. Tongue
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #511 on: January 29, 2015, 06:03:53 PM »

50 years old ? Wow, is that the most senile age floor for a political function out there ? I can't say I know of a later one.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #512 on: January 29, 2015, 06:18:03 PM »

50 years old ? Wow, is that the most senile age floor for a political function out there ? I can't say I know of a later one.

Yeah, I was thinking earlier today how Italian Presidents are usually very old but didn't know of that threshold until I read about the Totti votes.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #513 on: January 30, 2015, 07:30:01 AM »
« Edited: January 30, 2015, 07:33:04 AM by Antonio V »

Second ballot is basically the same as the first: 531 blank, 123 Imposimato, 51 Feltri, 34 Castellina, 23 Bonino, 22 Rodotà, 14 Sabelli Fioretti, 10 Gualdani, and various others.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #514 on: January 30, 2015, 10:35:52 AM »

It's impressive how committed to gerontocracy Italy is.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #515 on: January 30, 2015, 10:41:56 AM »

Can someone please give a rundown of all the candidates and who is backing them?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #516 on: January 30, 2015, 11:50:03 AM »

Can someone please give a rundown of all the candidates and who is backing them?

There are only two real candidates: Mattarella, who is Renzi's candidate and has the support of SEL, the centrists, and possibly NCD and even the M5S dissidents; and Imposimato, the M5S candidate. Everything else is purely symbolic.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #517 on: January 30, 2015, 12:29:32 PM »

Tomorrow morning we'll have President Mattarella.
Nice.
Amazing work by Renzi,as usual.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #518 on: January 30, 2015, 01:03:06 PM »

Third ballot (and last of the joke ballots): 513 blank, 126 Imposimato, 56 Feltri, 33 Castellina, 23 Bonino, 22 Rodotà, loads and loads of small candidates.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #519 on: January 30, 2015, 01:36:11 PM »

If you don't love Italy there's something fundamentally wrong with you.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #520 on: January 30, 2015, 02:57:42 PM »

NCD will support Mattarella, so it's almost a done deal.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #521 on: January 30, 2015, 04:42:46 PM »

I realize Libya, Somalia, and Eritrea all have major problems, but there's no fundamental wrong in the people from there not loving Italy.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #522 on: January 30, 2015, 05:07:14 PM »

I realize Libya, Somalia, and Eritrea all have major problems, but there's no fundamental wrong in the people from there not loving Italy.

Is that actually the case anymore? I have never met a Somali that had a grudge against Italy.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #523 on: January 31, 2015, 05:09:53 AM »

Voting is now ongoing for the 4th ballot. Theoretically, Mattarella should get at least 643 votes (government majority+SEL). There will certainly be a few losses, but they could be compensated by additional votes coming from M5S dissidents and FI renegades. 505 votes are needed.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #524 on: January 31, 2015, 05:42:59 AM »

Some NCD parliamentarians broke out with the party and said they weren't voting Mattarella. So I'm gonna hazard a prediction and say he'll probably finish with around 600 votes.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 84  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies