Should hatred against poor people be considered morally equivalent to racism?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:39:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should hatred against poor people be considered morally equivalent to racism?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Should hatred against poor people be considered morally equivalent to racism?  (Read 3147 times)
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2013, 07:11:55 PM »

The last paragraph. That was certainly what I took from it. You called out the idea that many poors haven't had opportunities by being born into relative wealth and then screwing up.
I said "more than 1%".  I don't know how you get from there to "most".
You must be logged in to read this quote.
...and I'm not disagreeing with any of that.  I'm not sure why you think I am.

I have a tendency to read between the lines too much, I guess. I inferred from your post that "more than 1%" was a sarcastic way of saying "most." And I took "stupid choices" to mean that you think people who are poor are wholly responsible for their plight, if plight it is. I apologise for misunderstanding and becoming a tad incensed, though I still think my original interpretation of your post wasn't unreasonable.
Link
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2013, 08:42:45 PM »

It's revolting and stupid and unfair, but beyond not being racism, it is not quite a bad a racism, because as noted, it is not an immutable characteristic.

^This.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2013, 08:24:14 PM »

In all seriousness it should be equivalent only if someone is hated for the fact they're poor. This would be comparable to someone being hated simply because of their race. Otherwise I'd say no.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2013, 07:19:11 AM »

Yes. And it's no coincidence that the two almost always overlap.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2013, 08:53:25 PM »

Yes. And it's no coincidence that the two almost always overlap.

Very true and another very sad problem is that hatred of conservatives and hatred of Christians often overlap.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2013, 08:30:32 PM »

If you truly hate someone for no reason other than the fact that they're poor, then yes. Hatred of rich people for no reason other than the fact that they're rich should be equally unacceptable.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2013, 01:52:35 AM »

Two new fine examples of this!

If I ever invite krazen over for popcorn and a movie, remind me not to put in Aladdin.

If memory serves, Aladdin and the monkey guy took 1 apple and 1 canteloupe. They weren't fat tubs of lard with several carts of stolen goods.

Because, 'ya know, all people receiving government benefits are fat tubs of lard. It must be so luxurious to have a worldview as simple as krazen's.

Aladdin also stole a loaf of bread at the beginning, but gave it to two poor kids out of sympathy. Krazen doesn't have any sense of sympathy, so it makes sense for that part to slip his mind.

And then there's this bigotry:

This doesn't surprise me a lot. When we look at the Tea Party they aren't the most socially conservative. Limited government and the free market seem to be their primary focus.

Gallup found in 2010 that the tea partiers were wealthier and more college educated than the general populace.

The dropout factories produce Democrats.

Like it or not, we have to accept that voters with post-graduate degrees voted for Obama by wide margins.

Of course your statement has little to do with Gallup's findings.

But has much to do with your elitist statement about "dropout factories producing Democrats", which is obviously incorrect.

<Sigh> but it wouldn't be a Krazen post without proving you still don't understand the difference between being 'a conservative' vs 'an asshat'

On the contrary. The dropout factories are of course located in parasitic moocher cities like Washington DC that produce large hordes of high school dropouts to vote Democrat in the next election. Most of the natives fail to reach post graduate status.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2013, 12:43:32 PM »

The thing to note is that not all racism is on the same level of bad.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies