Would/do you support the War In Iraq?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:00:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Would/do you support the War In Iraq?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: Iraq War
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 109

Author Topic: Would/do you support the War In Iraq?  (Read 8352 times)
Mordecai
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2014, 11:18:08 AM »

Yeah, but with major caveats.

Obviously it was prosecuted incompetently and I don't think the Bush administration did a good job with planning for the occupation. They shouldn't have overstated their case to invade and depose Saddam, and they should have been more forthcoming with the potential consequences of the intervention. They also made a serious strategic error in diverting resources from Afghanistan to Iraq that could have been used to apprehend bin Laden before he escaped over the border into Pakistan.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2014, 07:44:15 PM »

Terrible conflict.

The worst thing John Howard did was support the Iraq War.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2014, 12:35:39 PM »

Would?  Are we planning a third invasion of Iraq?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2014, 03:19:32 PM »

Absolutely not
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2014, 08:54:44 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2014, 08:57:31 PM »

There is literally no rational reason to support the Iraq War.
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2014, 10:59:39 PM »

Over throwing Arab Hitler is not one?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2014, 11:05:26 PM »

Nope. I honestly couldn't care less if the people of Iraq are free or not. It wasn't our problem to begin with, and the people would have given Saddam the Qaddaffi treatment (albeit after a brutal response that, as Ernest noted, makes the Syrian and Libyan responses to the Arab Spring look like childs play) by 2013ish anyway.

Also, are you willing to join the military? Are you willing to go over there and fight? Almost every hawk I have ever met has never served our nation.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2014, 10:58:02 AM »

From today's Spectator, the new Iraq war will be much more devastating that the last one.  Neither the US nor the UK seem to want any part of it.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/the-week/leading-article/9230601/the-new-iraq-war/
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2014, 11:26:15 AM »

Probably would have at the time, but I'm not so sure with hindsight.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2014, 12:16:44 PM »

You would have to be literally retarded to vote Yes at this point, knowing all we know now. (Not that it justifies supporting it in the first place, given that even in 2003 you didn't have to be a f**king genius to realize that Saddam Hussein had absolutely f**king nothing to do with 9/11)
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2014, 12:30:24 PM »

There is literally no rational reason to support the Iraq any war.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2014, 12:32:05 PM »

Yes there are. This is patent nonsense. War is at times necessary to bring forth desired social changes: the Civil War and the American Revolution both stand out fairly explicitly in that regard.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2014, 12:35:49 PM »

Yes there are. This is patent nonsense. War is at times necessary to bring forth desired social changes: the Civil War and the American Revolution both stand out fairly explicitly in that regard.

Wrong! There is just as much reason for me to challenge you to a duel to the death, but that would be illegal. I am not saying that dueling is ok, just proving you wrong. Killing people to solve a problem is insane, insane, insane. Not only that it is insane. War, as the song says is good for nothing, absolutely nothing. Right to life? That means nothing?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2014, 12:40:25 PM »

I tend to think that it's okay to kill people who hold other people as slaves, or exercise absolute tyrannical authority over people, but that's just me, and I think that's a fairly sane position.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2014, 12:41:49 PM »

Sorry, I got a little too militant there for a minute, haha...
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2014, 12:44:06 PM »

I tend to think that it's okay to kill people who hold other people as slaves, or exercise absolute tyrannical authority over people, but that's just me, and I think that's a fairly sane position.

To fight and to kill are two different things, there are ways to oppose tyranny without killing anyone.
If people have a right to life, then killing them is wrong.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2014, 12:46:05 PM »

It is interesting to note that 86% of us think the war was wrong, yet it was supported by both Democrats and Republicans, which is why I am reluctant to vote for anyone of either party.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2014, 12:50:22 PM »

No worries. Look, I'm almost absolutely on page with you about war (I can't think of one the U.S. has engaged in since the Civil War I can say that I would support), I just take a more nuanced attitude toward the use of violence and the making of war, I'd say. Violence can be tactically advantageous in a given situation, but it should only be used (a) to free someone or a group of persons from an outside oppressive and controlling force and (b) when you're sure you can use it to win.

To fight and to kill are two different things, there are ways to oppose tyranny without killing anyone.

No, there really aren't ways to oppose tyranny without removing the source of said tyranny. You would never be successful in kindly, gently asking the slaveowners to free their slaves. They had to be exterminated or rendered incapable of exercising their power to purchase and hold slaves.

I do not intrinsically hold that all life has value or that life should be placed upon a pedestal or any of that, either. I think that doing so is a mistake and causes a lot of undue suffering in the world, precisely because such thinking leads to the kind of thing you are arguing here.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2014, 01:15:50 PM »

No worries. Look, I'm almost absolutely on page with you about war (I can't think of one the U.S. has engaged in since the Civil War I can say that I would support), I just take a more nuanced attitude toward the use of violence and the making of war, I'd say. Violence can be tactically advantageous in a given situation, but it should only be used (a) to free someone or a group of persons from an outside oppressive and controlling force and (b) when you're sure you can use it to win.

No, there really aren't ways to oppose tyranny without removing the source of said tyranny. You would never be successful in kindly, gently asking the slaveowners to free their slaves. They had to be exterminated or rendered incapable of exercising their power to purchase and hold slaves.

I do not intrinsically hold that all life has value or that life should be placed upon a pedestal or any of that, either. I think that doing so is a mistake and causes a lot of undue suffering in the world, precisely because such thinking leads to the kind of thing you are arguing here.
Violence and killing are two differtent things. I am not opposed to the use of force in self defense, because it doesn't always involve death. Basically we are in agreement. Waging war is bad, but I don't want to use up too much energy in quiblling over whether there are exceptions.
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2014, 01:47:51 PM »

Nope. I honestly couldn't care less if the people of Iraq are free or not. It wasn't our problem to begin with, and the people would have given Saddam the Qaddaffi treatment (albeit after a brutal response that, as Ernest noted, makes the Syrian and Libyan responses to the Arab Spring look like childs play) by 2013ish anyway.

Also, are you willing to join the military? Are you willing to go over there and fight? Almost every hawk I have ever met has never served our nation.
I wouldn't join, but there are tons of poor people who would be willing to fight in my stead so it is good.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2014, 09:09:52 AM »

It is interesting to note that 86% of us think the war was wrong, yet it was supported by both Democrats and Republicans, which is why I am reluctant to vote for anyone of either party.

That's not entirely accurate. In the Senate, it is indeed regrettably true that a majority of both parties voted for the war. However, a majority of House Democrats voted against the war.
Bozo the Clown
Rookie
United States

« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2014, 03:08:04 AM »

Also how do we know Obama's reasons are just? This could just be an attempt at getting oil for our country. No War for Oil!
WorkingClassBro
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -4.61

« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2014, 10:51:18 PM »

Under the circumstances it happened, definitely not.
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2014, 06:58:49 PM »

Only if a Democrat is in charge, they call it "humanitarian," further privatize the endeavor, and hide behind "cultural" "issues." I courageously oppose it if a pious cowboy does the same thing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies