Would/do you support the War In Iraq?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:59:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Would/do you support the War In Iraq?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Iraq War
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 109

Author Topic: Would/do you support the War In Iraq?  (Read 8362 times)
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2013, 05:34:33 PM »

So then would it be morally objectionable for me to kill someone who lunged at me with a knife?

I said "avoided at all costs." Obviously self defense is the major loophole, and if i were to ever kill someone in self defense, i'd feel absolutely HORRIBLE. It'd be cruel of me to say "just try and run away!" So loopholes are the big killer.

How is it NOT taking a human life? It prevents a human from being born and kills it. Please explain and inform me because I don't understand.

Is exfoliating taking a human life? Answer that question before I continue.

A fetus is a person. It has a heart that beats and it has human DNA.* I am not a huge supporter of total bans on abortion, but from a moral standpoint, it should be counted as a human life, regardless if the abortion was necessary or not.

* = after a certain amount of weeks, generally some time after abortions usually take place
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2013, 06:50:17 PM »

Generally we are attacked because we maintain a military presence in roughly every country in the world.

And because of religious beliefs where some believe by attacking non-believers of Islam they'll get 72 virgins in heaven.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2013, 06:58:53 PM »

Generally we are attacked because we maintain a military presence in roughly every country in the world.

And because of religious beliefs where some believe by attacking non-believers of Islam they'll get 72 virgins in heaven.

Extremism has always existed. Islamic extremism is advanced by the fact that we're swinging a proverbial stick at a proverbial bees nest.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2013, 08:47:52 PM »

No. It remains the most incredibly stupid thing our nation has done in my lifetime, by far. If you supported it, you were an idiot and I hope it haunts you for the rest of your life.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2013, 09:32:24 PM »

Extremism has always existed. Islamic extremism is advanced by the fact that we're swinging a proverbial stick at a proverbial bees nest.

Yes that's very true. Putting U.S. troops on Muslim holy land sure doesn't help. Iraq made us less safe in the short run too by attracting terrorists from around the Middle East. We should be finishing up in Afghanistan slowly but surely, place sanctions on countries who harbor terrorists including enemies who have nukes, and focus on fighting terror at home through homeland security. I know it can be a pain once in a while with long lines at airports, but if it saves lives it's worth it.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2013, 11:03:59 AM »

No. See what bgwah said.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2013, 01:16:58 PM »

Initially, I did and in the future will probably a little more skeptical, but I can see myself supporting another situation like Iraq. Subsequently, no. When the military exceeded the original scope of its mission, it essentially started a new war which I opposed. However, the end result of the Iraq war was mixed. Iraq is no longer a dictatorship with the ability to compromise our interests, but it is still moderately authoritarian and hostile to American Interests but no longer is capable of harming our interests. On the whole, I think I am very close to the median voter on foreign policy.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2013, 03:24:48 PM »

Initially, I did and in the future will probably a little more skeptical, but I can see myself supporting another situation like Iraq. Subsequently, no. When the military exceeded the original scope of its mission, it essentially started a new war which I opposed. However, the end result of the Iraq war was mixed. Iraq is no longer a dictatorship with the ability to compromise our interests, but it is still moderately authoritarian and hostile to American Interests but no longer is capable of harming our interests. On the whole, I think I am very close to the median voter on foreign policy.

I couldn't have said it any better.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2013, 03:41:49 PM »

"I'm not against all wars, I'm against dumb wars"

That's still the best thing that has been said on this issue.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2013, 09:35:28 AM »

No (normal)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2013, 06:29:35 AM »

Iraq wasn't really a direct threat to anyone, so I can't support it.
Saddam did murder many hundreds of thousands of his people and was doing so right up until invasion time.

I'm not saying the invasion was right or wrong, it was certainly HANDLED very poorly, but to say that Iraq wasn't a threat to anyone (or Og forbid ALL war is wrong) is just wrong.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2013, 02:59:32 PM »

A fetus is a person. It has a heart that beats and it has human DNA.* I am not a huge supporter of total bans on abortion, but from a moral standpoint, it should be counted as a human life, regardless if the abortion was necessary or not.

* = after a certain amount of weeks, generally some time after abortions usually take place

Human DNA is obtained at fertilization.  Heartbeats occur less than five weeks later.  Abortions always happen after the former by definition, and very often (perhaps a majority of the time) after the latter.

I can respect pacifism when it is actually opposed to all forms of violence, though I myself do not hold that position.  As to the question, no, the invasion of Iraq in 2003 was a bad idea.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2013, 06:41:46 AM »

I opposed the war before it began. I was on the opposition side when our 10th grade history class debated it in February 2003. From what I remember, the class was split three ways (support/oppose/undecided), but our side did win over the undecideds.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2013, 06:44:49 AM »

No. I stand with my country, even if I'm slightly a neocon on these issues Tongue.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2014, 07:12:07 AM »

No, but had I been old enough I would have served.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2014, 03:51:48 PM »

I support it as a nation-building throwback to the Marshall Plan, but the Iraq War has morphed into a strange social experiment with occasional counter-terror ops. The US can't build nations when we're running huge deficits.
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2014, 07:00:20 PM »

I support it as a nation-building throwback to the Marshall Plan, but the Iraq War has morphed into a strange social experiment with occasional counter-terror ops. The US can't build nations when we're running huge deficits.
Except the Marshall Plan wasn't building nations up from scratch; it was giving money to nations who already had the human capital and simply needed money to bring they economies back. It is very rare that outside nations successfully build up human capital in an occupied territory that they are not planning on annexing.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2014, 07:13:37 PM »

Except the Marshall Plan wasn't building nations up from scratch; it was giving money to nations who already had the human capital and simply needed money to bring they economies back. It is very rare that outside nations successfully build up human capital in an occupied territory that they are not planning on annexing.

Which is exactly why Iraq should be incorporated into the United States in some  capacity.
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2014, 07:24:44 PM »

Which is exactly why Iraq should be incorporated into the United States in some  capacity.
Why? They don't want to be American and, at risk of sounding racist, we don't want them.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2014, 07:25:17 PM »

No, I'm a borderline isolationist.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2014, 07:25:59 PM »

I don't support war under any circumstances.

That's just stupid.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2014, 07:51:48 PM »

Why? They don't want to be American and, at risk of sounding racist, we don't want them.

Hawaii didn't want to be incorporated into the United States either, but it all worked out for the best.

Iraqi oil deposits should be reason enough...
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2014, 11:03:18 PM »

I don't support war under any circumstances.

That's just stupid.

You are attempting to argue with someone who hasn't been on this forum for the past six months. Just so you know.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2014, 11:19:34 PM »

I have family members who still shun me because i opposed Bush's Iraq adventure from the beginning.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2014, 09:55:07 AM »

Absolutely not.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies