Study: Lesbian Couples Twice as Likely to Divorce as Gay Couples
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:13:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Study: Lesbian Couples Twice as Likely to Divorce as Gay Couples
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Study: Lesbian Couples Twice as Likely to Divorce as Gay Couples  (Read 6527 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2013, 08:40:10 AM »

Forgive me for not believing boasts of sexual and romantic success from a guy who's method of getting sex is paying foreign prostitutes.

Uh, he did say "I'm basing my analysis on looking at society, not my own anecdotal experience."
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2013, 11:12:31 AM »

Forgive me for not believing boasts of sexual and romantic success from a guy who's method of getting sex is paying foreign prostitutes.

Uh, he did say "I'm basing my analysis on looking at society, not my own anecdotal experience."

Sure he did. But nobody who has had mutually fun, positive, reciprocal sexual relationships with women seriously believes this whole "women are asexual b*tches who just use sex to steal guys' money" bs Roll Eyes
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2013, 11:18:02 AM »

I never said they mightn't 'do it well' (a subjective and ephemeral concept anway).  What I was pointing out is the motivations for engaging in the relationship at all are sorely lacking.  In a m-f relationship the male gets a bit of sex and the woman gets all she trades for the sex... in a m-m relationship they both get sex... and in a f-f relationship what do they get?

sex
If good sex is your only reason for marriage... We should be surprised your divorce rate is still below 100%. It's not as if better sex isn't available elsewhere. Cheesy
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2013, 11:31:31 AM »
« Edited: October 22, 2013, 11:35:04 AM by opebo »

Sure he did. But nobody who has had mutually fun, positive, reciprocal sexual relationships with women seriously believes this whole "women are asexual b*tches who just use sex to steal guys' money" bs Roll Eyes

Sure one would, girlfriend.  I never said 'bitches' - I never use pejorative terms about the ladies.  But just because I had some sexual fun with girls I liked back in my 20s and 30s doesn't mean that there isn't a bigger picture out there.  You need to look beyond your own anecdotes, man.

Quite frankly it seems bizarre to me that anyone would call having normal relationships during ones youth through very early middle age, and participating in a normal 'sexual life' something to 'boast' about.  To think that this sort of bland normality is boastworthy sounds to me like the supposition of a nerd or geek virgin.

In any case as one gets old all that is behind one.  With what sexually attractive woman could an old man such as myself have intercourse now, sans prostitution, drj?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2013, 01:53:39 PM »

I thought marriage was based on love and commitment, not a desire for sex? If it's the latter I'd think you would expect promiscuity and high divorce rates. Having sex with the same person over and over again must become tiring.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2013, 01:56:36 PM »

I thought marriage was based on love and commitment, not a desire for sex? If it's the latter I'd think you would expect promiscuity and high divorce rates.

You do realize both exist at record high numbers, right?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2013, 01:58:45 PM »

I thought marriage was based on love and commitment, not a desire for sex? If it's the latter I'd think you would expect promiscuity and high divorce rates.

Among gay men and women? 3 percent and 6 percent don't seem very high to me, granted we haven't a full generation yet to measure.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2013, 02:02:00 PM »

Among gay men and women? 3 percent and 6 percent don't seem very high to me, granted we haven't a full generation yet to measure.

Ok, I thought you meant marriage to include all marriages......hetero and gay.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2013, 02:03:07 PM »

Hetero divorce rates are about 35 years away from a record.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2013, 03:06:57 PM »

Hetero divorce rates are about 35 years away from a record.

Promiscuity, too, alas. Cry
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2013, 03:12:37 PM »

Quite frankly it seems bizarre to me that anyone would call having normal relationships during ones youth through very early middle age, and participating in a normal 'sexual life' something to 'boast' about.  To think that this sort of bland normality is boastworthy sounds to me like the supposition of a nerd or geek virgin.

For most people I wouldn't consider maintaining normal human relationships anything special, but given that we're talking about you here it is indeed quite surprising.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2013, 04:03:00 PM »

For most people I wouldn't consider maintaining normal human relationships anything special, but given that we're talking about you here it is indeed quite surprising.

Just because I'm accessing the easy option of professionals in my decrepitude doesn't mean I always did so.  You do realize that life is entirely different for a fellow in his middle forties than one in his middle twenties?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2013, 05:00:31 PM »

I thought marriage was based on love and commitment, not a desire for sex? If it's the latter I'd think you would expect promiscuity and high divorce rates. Having sex with the same person over and over again must become tiring.

No offense, but as a self-identified asexual you may not be the best judge of this, to be honest. Sex can be varied in a lot of different ways and variety is not always what one values the most anyway.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2013, 05:23:05 PM »

No offense, but as a self-identified asexual you may not be the best judge of this, to be honest. Sex can be varied in a lot of different ways and variety is not always what one values the most anyway.

Well it can be 'tiring'. But not in the way he thinks Wink
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2013, 07:07:44 PM »

Oh sure Gustaf. Dont worry about stepping on my toes on this, I know I don't know. Smiley Anyway, happy to be corrected.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2013, 03:38:15 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2013, 03:40:19 PM by Antonio V »

Of course, the discussion just had to devolve on sex. This is the Atlas Forum, after all.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2013, 04:05:19 PM »

There's virtually no motivation to stay together when neither party wants sex and only wants to take advantage of the other.

lol
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2013, 04:30:21 PM »

Well it can be 'tiring'. But not in the way he thinks Wink

Haha, that is a very true point. I have both experienced and caused sexual OD and it's not as fun as one would imagine. Tongue
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2013, 07:41:41 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2013, 04:27:58 PM by Beet »

First of all, is this not a copyright violation? Second, the second bullet is demonstrably false.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2013, 07:48:28 PM »

It's not that surprising if you consider that in heterosexual marriages, the woman files for divorce about 2/3rds of the time.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2013, 08:01:32 PM »

Just like it is dumb for Opebo to insinuate that this "bs" is always the case... it is mighty shortsighted of you to say it never happens.

Women use sex as a weapon or bargaining chip all the time.  Like Republicans who twist in circles to prove they're not racist... I don't buy it when women twist in circles to prove they're not catty, either.

But that's because nearly every woman I know uses sex as a weapon to get what they want.

As a faygut... most of my friends are women.  And as a faygut, they seem to think I wanna hear about what they do with their vajayjays (which, just no)
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies