Thorough List of Employers Cutting Hours (and Jobs) Due to Obamacare
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 10:32:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Thorough List of Employers Cutting Hours (and Jobs) Due to Obamacare
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Thorough List of Employers Cutting Hours (and Jobs) Due to Obamacare  (Read 1710 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2013, 09:25:14 AM »

LA Times says that the data shows that this idea that Obamacare is resulting in more part-times works is a myth.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-obamacare-20131022,0,5237220.story

Whether or not Obamacare is resulting in a net-increase in part-time work isn't something I alleged (and it's hard to prove in an economy as fluid as the U.S.'s right now), but it's undisputed that there are employers cutting hours because of Obamacare.

Actually it is disputed, in that article by the LA Times and the article from the Wall Street Journal. Employers cutting hours because of Obamacare is a right wing talking point myth because we now have facts and data instead of just random anecdotes dug up by the likes of Sean Hannity.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, 10:54:59 AM »

How many employers are cutting hours because of climate change? Quite a few, I would think.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2013, 11:12:01 AM »

LA Times says that the data shows that this idea that Obamacare is resulting in more part-times works is a myth.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-obamacare-20131022,0,5237220.story

Whether or not Obamacare is resulting in a net-increase in part-time work isn't something I alleged (and it's hard to prove in an economy as fluid as the U.S.'s right now), but it's undisputed that there are employers cutting hours because of Obamacare.

Actually it is disputed, in that article by the LA Times and the article from the Wall Street Journal. Employers cutting hours because of Obamacare is a right wing talking point myth because we now have facts and data instead of just random anecdotes dug up by the likes of Sean Hannity.

My employer cut our hours for that reason.  It's not just some random anecdote.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2013, 11:39:29 AM »

Good thing the data shows that is being offset by more employers that are doing the opposite.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2013, 11:46:36 AM »

Good thing the data shows that is being offset by more employers that are doing the opposite.

Good unless you're one of the people who went from 36 hours a week to 28.  **Raises hand**
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2013, 12:05:51 PM »

You work for one of the 5% of large employers that doesn't provide health insurance?  And instead of providing it,  your employer is just going to cut everyone's hours? I'm sorry for you, but your employer sounds like a dick.

More importantly,  ytf is your employer cutting hours now to comply with a rule that doesn't go into effect for more than 14 months?  Sounds like your employer is cutting hours for his own profit and just blaming it on Obamacare.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2013, 12:07:32 PM »

You work for one of the 5% of large employers that doesn't provide health insurance?  And instead of providing it,  your employer is just going to cut everyone's hours? I'm sorry for you, but your employer sounds like a dick.

More importantly,  ytf is your employer cutting hours now to comply with a rule that doesn't go into effect for more than 14 months?  Sounds like your employer is cutting hours for his own profit and just blaming it on Obamacare.

Yeah, thiinking about it more it sounds like an excuse.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2013, 01:57:29 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2013, 11:52:04 AM by Laloo Prasad »

Fear of what'll come in a year might conceivably be another additional reason beyond the opposite obvious (little work at current due to failures of management) that you'd then highlight. These things happen. There's always additional reasons beyond your own fault which you see more clearly.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2013, 02:10:48 PM »

How can you say it is "undisputed"?  I have heard this disputed endlessly.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2013, 04:46:03 PM »

But overall hours worked haven't decreased.

How can you say it is "undisputed"?  I have heard this disputed endlessly.

I mean... you can dispute it, but I've given you an objective first-hand example.  If someone's going to dispute that, they're ignoring facts.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2013, 07:04:09 PM »

I mean... you can dispute it, but I've given you an objective first-hand example.  If someone's going to dispute that, they're ignoring facts.

Inks, we all understand that your employer is claiming that he's cutting hours because of Obamacare.  But you're the one who's ignoring the fact that the employer mandate doesn't go into effect until 2015, and Obamacare cannot be blamed for your hours being cut in 2013.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2013, 11:49:12 AM »

Honestly Inks, I think your employer is BSing you--or quite possibly themselves. Some businesspersons act on incorrect perceptions of market conditions, including misunderstanding legislation. It's entirely possible even large employers are misreading the law and responding (in)appropriately.

Or, I could be just hypothesizing out my backside......
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2013, 01:28:11 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2013, 03:56:27 PM by Stranger in a strange land »

My employer cut our hours for that reason.  It's not just some random anecdote.

You work for one of the 5% of large employers that doesn't provide health insurance?  And instead of providing it,  your employer is just going to cut everyone's hours? I'm sorry for you, but your employer sounds like a dick.

More importantly,  ytf is your employer cutting hours now to comply with a rule that doesn't go into effect for more than 14 months?  Sounds like your employer is cutting hours for his own profit and just blaming it on Obamacare.

But overall hours worked haven't decreased.

How can you say it is "undisputed"?  I have heard this disputed endlessly.

I mean... you can dispute it, but I've given you an objective first-hand example.  If someone's going to dispute that, they're ignoring facts.

Again, why is he cutting your hours now because of a law that won't even go into effect for 14 more months? You should really ask him.

And in any case, the employer mandate should have a relatively small impact because most employers were already providing healthcare, even if not required to by law.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies