Pacific Council: Ratification of the Deregistration Amendment (Failed in Pac)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:37:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Pacific Council: Ratification of the Deregistration Amendment (Failed in Pac)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pacific Council: Ratification of the Deregistration Amendment (Failed in Pac)  (Read 819 times)
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 08, 2013, 10:18:28 AM »
« edited: November 16, 2013, 06:45:15 PM by Acting Governor PJ »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]

Discuss.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 03:10:27 PM »

My thoughts:

It makes absolutely no sense to include referendums in the list of elections counted towards deregistration if you miss them. Deregistration is for citizens that are too inactive to vote. Counting referendums in inconsistent as whether or not they occur depends on whether or not initiatives gather enough signatures. Meanwhile, scheduled elections are a given consistency. Therefore, I will oppose this amendment because it complicates deregistration for no real purpose.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 05:00:31 PM »

This doesn't complicate deregistration at all. In fact, it de-complicates it by automatically removing a voter from the rolls after they miss three consecutive elections, which seems perfectly reasonable to me.

If a citizen is too inactive to vote, they won't vote in a referendum. A referendum is a federal election, where every voter in Atlasia is eligible to vote. Normally, if you fail to show up three times in a row, it's a sign you're disinterested in voting and should be removed from the rolls. Plus, if you change your mind and decide you want to stay involved after all, you can go ahead and re-register. Simple as that.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 05:14:53 PM »

This doesn't complicate deregistration at all. In fact, it de-complicates it by automatically removing a voter from the rolls after they miss three consecutive elections, which seems perfectly reasonable to me.

If a citizen is too inactive to vote, they won't vote in a referendum. A referendum is a federal election, where every voter in Atlasia is eligible to vote. Normally, if you fail to show up three times in a row, it's a sign you're disinterested in voting and should be removed from the rolls. Plus, if you change your mind and decide you want to stay involved after all, you can go ahead and re-register. Simple as that.
Thanks for the explanation! Your argument is convincing, but my main concern is that this is going to make deregistration inconsistent. Before referendums, voters were deregistered after missing three scheduled elections, which was over a time period of six months.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 06:30:59 PM »

While I understand why you believe the method proposed might be inconsistent, I think if a person misses three consecutive elections, it's generally a clear indication they do not wish to participate in the game anymore. For example, we used to have 192 citizens, but only about 120 voting in each election. In the most recent election, we had about the same number of voters, but with Homely's double de-registration (the referendum+the federal election), the number of citizens dropped to a much more sustainable and realistic 146 or so, effectively eliminating the majority of inactive voters. Why keep people on the rolls for months and months if it's evident they do not have interest far earlier?
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 08:38:01 PM »

While I understand why you believe the method proposed might be inconsistent, I think if a person misses three consecutive elections, it's generally a clear indication they do not wish to participate in the game anymore. For example, we used to have 192 citizens, but only about 120 voting in each election. In the most recent election, we had about the same number of voters, but with Homely's double de-registration (the referendum+the federal election), the number of citizens dropped to a much more sustainable and realistic 146 or so, effectively eliminating the majority of inactive voters. Why keep people on the rolls for months and months if it's evident they do not have interest far earlier?
Well, you have swayed me. But I'm not even sure whether or not my vote will matter depending on the election results. Tongue
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 04:46:44 PM »

Bump for everyone else
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 07:16:55 PM »

I'm for it, it helps clear everything up and shows us the inactive voters and makes everything easier for homely.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 07:17:47 PM »

I'm for it, it helps clear everything up and shows us the inactive voters and makes everything easier for homely Fritz.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 08:43:08 PM »

I'm for it, it helps clear everything up and shows us the inactive voters and makes everything easier for homely Fritz.

The problem with this argument is that Fritz, our new RG, opposes this amendment. 
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 08:57:36 PM »

The problem with this argument is that Fritz, our new RG, opposes this amendment. 
I don't really understand that; this shortens the Census list.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2013, 09:13:55 PM »

Why?
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 09:18:59 PM »

This thread should shed some light on Fritz's position.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 09:39:55 PM »

It says federal elections in the amendment, so I'm not sure why Fritz thinks regional elections would be counted. The registration time does worry me though, which is something I hadn't thought of before. I don't think I could support this unless we eliminate the registration time requirements.

Sorry for playing the moderate hero role.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 09:52:38 AM »

Any more discussion?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 01:14:52 PM »

It says federal elections in the amendment, so I'm not sure why Fritz thinks regional elections would be counted. The registration time does worry me though, which is something I hadn't thought of before. I don't think I could support this unless we eliminate the registration time requirements.

Sorry for playing the moderate hero role.

Why not contact Fritz and have him opine directly about the matter. Since he is leading the opposition, I would assume he would be more then happy to do so.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 08:44:40 PM »

I am set in my decision. Are we ready for a final vote?
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 09:31:40 PM »

There are no objections, so I move for a final vote.

Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 09:32:31 PM »

Nay
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2013, 09:34:19 PM »

I'm gonna have to go with Fritz, since he is now the controller of all voting.

Nay
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2013, 04:11:08 PM »
« Edited: November 15, 2013, 04:14:09 PM by Fmr. V.P. DemPGH »

I tend to favor this, but I respect the opinions of those who are primarily impacted by it, so I shall Abstain.

I just think that we don't have these elections that often, and since the federal stuff is all posted usually well in advance, missing three means you're not active in voting. Still, I can understand someone coming back and not knowing and etc. as well as that it might create more work for the R.G., and I'm ultimately sympathetic to that.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2013, 06:44:50 PM »

This amendment fails to be ratified in the Pacific Region.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies