IDS1: Dignity of the Flag Act (DEBATING)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:19:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  IDS1: Dignity of the Flag Act (DEBATING)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: IDS1: Dignity of the Flag Act (DEBATING)  (Read 3619 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 23, 2013, 08:06:50 PM »

Debate away kids (and draw up flags I guess)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 09:52:13 PM »

I... wasn't aware there were regulations we had to go by to submit flag designs.  Regardless, I'll post both my proposals.  Also, I think there's a typo in this bill, as that law is from 2004, though I think we should consider whether we need those regulations.

Flag:

Coat of Arms:
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 01:38:22 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2013, 01:41:50 PM by Rep. Scott »

I was actually thinking about designing a new flag that meets the standards of our flag regulations law, but I can't understand those standards at all.  I am offering an amendment:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 10:39:02 AM »

Bump.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 11:24:36 AM »

I was actually thinking about designing a new flag that meets the standards of our flag regulations law, but I can't understand those standards at all.  I am offering an amendment:

You don't like golden fringe on our flags? Tongue

I don't really have a preference for which design is used; practically anything is better than the current one.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 11:51:07 AM »

You don't like golden fringe on our flags? Tongue

I don't really have a preference for which design is used; practically anything is better than the current one.

I suppose I don't have a problem with golden fringe, but those design instructions are extremely specific.  Would you be okay with nixing the design requirements and keeping the fringe?
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 04:27:06 PM »

Well, I didn't think it was a priority before, but since you mention it maybe the amendment should be something like this:

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 04:50:51 PM »

Alright.  In that case, I'll withdraw my amendment.

What do the Emperor and my fellow Reps think of the flag designs?  Are there any other proposals we should consider?
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 04:56:31 PM »

Griffin had a suggestion which was this:

and Enderman described one which was this:

Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 05:46:25 PM »

sorry about the mental-picture only guys... My paint sucks. :s
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 11:56:18 AM »

bump
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 04:12:41 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2013, 04:14:17 PM by Rep. Scott »

I think Adam did a nice job with the flag and all; my only objections are the unnecessary orbs surrounding the emblem, and the fact that the emblem itself only represents the state of Georgia.  I still prefer my own flag, but I don't want to force it into the bill.  Perhaps a vote of some sort should be in order?

As for Enderman's proposal, I really can't visualize what's in the text.  Perhaps he'd be willing to draw a rough concept design in Paint and let Adam or myself remake it?
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 04:23:06 PM »

I think Adam did a nice job with the flag and all; my only objections are the unnecessary orbs surrounding the emblem, and the fact that the emblem itself only represents the state of Georgia.  I still prefer my own flag, but I don't want to force it into the bill.  Perhaps a vote of some sort should be in order?

As for Enderman's proposal, I really can't visualize what's in the text.  Perhaps he'd be willing to draw a rough concept design in Paint and let Adam or myself remake it?

You should make it, or lets go on to my Mibbit office and we could discuss it...
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 08:01:27 PM »

You should make it, or lets go on to my Mibbit office and we could discuss it...

You don't understand.  I can't simply draw what someone tells me to draw.  I guarantee you it will come out completely different from what you'd like it to be.  A few shapes made in MS Paint will at least give me a layout to work with.  You don't even have to draw freehand; just use the shape tools and neatly label everything.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 09:38:51 PM »

You don't understand.  I can't simply draw what someone tells me to draw.  I guarantee you it will come out completely different from what you'd like it to be.  A few shapes made in MS Paint will at least give me a layout to work with.  You don't even have to draw freehand; just use the shape tools and neatly label everything.

oh okay...
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2013, 04:22:20 PM »

Reality-check, folks: The seal of Georgia has already been stolen by a rather distinct entity in Atlasia. It is basically the logo of the Labor Party (see here: https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/images/b/b5/LaborLogo.png).

I can't support putting partisan symbols into our regional flag.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2013, 07:17:52 PM »

In a little while, I'm going to move to amend the bill so that it includes my flag and coat of arms if we don't get any new proposals.  I also can't support partisan symbols in our flags.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2013, 07:37:01 PM »

I'm extremely busy so I haven't had the time to propose something of my own, but Scott's flag is way too busy/messy and having writing on flags is in almost every case terrible from a vexillological standpoint. The coat of arms is nice but the Southern Cross obviously needs to go, we're not in the Southern Hemisphere; the general design also looks a bit too Christian (it reminds me of the logo of the DC).

Somebody should go on Wikipedia and look at some of the flags of subnational entities in places like Russia, Spain, Brazil etc for ideas.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2013, 10:26:17 PM »

Sorry if the quality on that last one is a little bad.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 03:57:36 AM »

Reality-check, folks: The seal of Georgia has already been stolen by a rather distinct entity in Atlasia. It is basically the logo of the Labor Party (see here: https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/images/b/b5/LaborLogo.png).

I can't support putting partisan symbols into our regional flag.

Well there's Hagrid, being a party-pooper again. Sad The symbol is, as Scott pointed out, a symbol of Georgia. Georgia, the most populous state in our glorious region, the rightful heir of the Southern Capital and the birthplace of the recent Southern Renaissance of activity. Certainly the Labor Party is blessed to have such a logo, but it is a different color, you see?

FYI, I thought the "bling" on my flag was a bit much, too. Here's another experiment (Cheesy):

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2013, 10:55:08 AM »

I'd like that if it didn't have the white stripe in next to the cross (sorry if my Godless Lieborite Northern opinions are intruding on y'all's discussion).
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 11:45:58 AM »

Hmm.  Is it wise to include the new map on our flag when we're not sure if it's going to be accepted yet?
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2013, 11:53:19 AM »

Of course not. At this point, we're legislating for the IDS as it is now and shouldn't think any other way.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2013, 12:20:37 PM »
« Edited: October 28, 2013, 07:01:51 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

To be honest though, I'm not sure it's great to have the map on the flag with or without regional dismemberment. If that thing is blowing in the wind, it's going to look like a blurry blob. That was a big concern with proposed designs for the Canadian flag while it was being debated in the '60s. It's part of the reason why we settled on a very simplified maple leaf.

How many flags in real life have maps on them?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2013, 01:18:21 AM »

Hmm.  Is it wise to include the new map on our flag when we're not sure if it's going to be accepted yet?

Of course not. At this point, we're legislating for the IDS as it is now and shouldn't think any other way.

I was just being facetious. Tongue I figure that there'll be many more suggestions, so no need to be exact in the current submissions. It was for more than anything to play around with the broader theme/scheme, which:

To be honest though, I'm not sure it's great to have the map on the flag with or without regional dismemberment. If that thing is blowing in the wind, it's going to look like a blurry blob. That was a big concern with proposed designs for the Canadian flag while it was being debated in the '60s. It's part of the reason why we settled on a very simplified maple leaf.

How many flags in real life have maps on them?

Perhaps you're right. I believe I actually drew the inspiration on this one way back when from the Northeast flag, but it may make more sense now than ever to not include a map on such a new creation. This also, however, makes me worry about other symbols (stars) indicating the number of states and the like.

So here's another one - for some reason I am really fond of this wacky design. It's really just a CSA flag rotated, inverted and with two stars removed (11 states). Because it was jacked off of the internet/rotated and not built from scratch, it has a slight irregularity in which the stars and bars cannot both be positioned in a perfect cardinal fashion (also, apparently my transparent bg didn't do as well as I thought and there are some pixels out of place; I'll fix all of that if this is a desirable design for anyone). I for one enjoy the optical illusion.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies