MA: Mideast Comprehensive Sex Education Act (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:33:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Mideast Comprehensive Sex Education Act (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: MA: Mideast Comprehensive Sex Education Act (Debating)  (Read 3137 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 24, 2013, 07:38:03 PM »
« edited: November 17, 2013, 05:12:52 PM by Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sponsor: Siren
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 07:46:28 PM »

Is the $15M guaranteed?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 08:04:51 PM »

This has my support.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 08:06:40 PM »

I pretty much wrote up this act to take advantage of funds made available by a bill that just passed the Senate yesterday:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=180875.0

In the Senate bill, it says $45 million is made available to the regions.  I'm assuming that means total for everyone.  Dividing 45 by 5 would make 9 million for each region...  But I'm assuming not all regions will pass bills to take advantage of it, so I thought we could try to take advantage of some more funding for the Mideast. Smiley  It would to be approved by the DoIA of course.  Also, I interpreted the Senate bill as meaning the regions were responsible for writing their own plans - which is why I fleshed out our bill to be more specific.

OK - I guess we'll have to see how much the GM says this will cost.  If we don't get to it this session, we'll get there next session.  I want to get all of our bills done, but y'all keep proposing things that involve money! Tongue
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 08:56:25 PM »

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 10:01:31 AM »

If this amendment is adopted, we wouldn't be eligible for the federal funding anymore.  It's quite clear about not permitting abstinence-only education models.  And for good reason.  If everyone practiced abstinence, there wouldn't be any more human race.  Tongue

Basically I'm telling Nyman that they don't have the right to forbid abstinence-only models or extort the regions by taking away funds.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 11:22:42 AM »

If this amendment is adopted, we wouldn't be eligible for the federal funding anymore.  It's quite clear about not permitting abstinence-only education models.  And for good reason.  If everyone practiced abstinence, there wouldn't be any more human race.  Tongue

Basically I'm telling Nyman that they don't have the right to forbid abstinence-only models or extort the regions by taking away funds.

The federal Comprehensive Sex Education Act does not "take away" funds. It merely offers an additional incentive for implementing sex education programs according to a defined set of guidelines.

Exactly, you don't get the extra money if you want to do primitive abstinence-only education.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 12:05:34 AM »

Can you put this amendment in bold/strikethrough format, please?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 05:04:01 PM »

Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 05:21:39 PM »

I support JCL's amendment.  Let the schools decide how their sex education curriculum is taught.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 05:15:29 PM »

I support JCL's amendment.  Let the schools decide how their sex education curriculum is taught.

I'd rather parents be the ones explaining the birds and the bees to their kids but my amendment was a compromise for those who's folks won't do that..
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 01:18:10 AM »

JCL, that amendment would mean no federal funding.  If we're going to do that, further amendments to this bill need to be made.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 06:46:46 PM »

JCL, that amendment would mean no federal funding.  If we're going to do that, further amendments to this bill need to be made.

The question is why should we always look to Nyman to mandate how we handle delicate matters such as these. What I'm noticing is Nyman has too much power on such a sensitive issue that they should have little to none of. Yes my stances as a conservative on social issues has soured many towards me but the greater problem is the concentration of federal power, often overly in the favor of the left to the point that the Atlasian right has abdicated fighting for those things that they believe in with regards to social and cultural issues. When I proposed the Nefarious Act, I sought to bring folks together on a social issue that was swept under the rug for the sake of the two big ones. When I made my play on returning a law to the region to a more pro-life state I did so partly to stand up to the rampant national bias against those of us who think in a more traditional sense. Should the left win on some social issues? Maybe. However it shouldn't be at the expense of regions who don't think it wise to do so. Life and marriage are such issues.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 06:59:32 PM »

The question is why should we always look to Nyman to mandate how we handle delicate matters such as these. What I'm noticing is Nyman has too much power on such a sensitive issue that they should have little to none of. Yes my stances as a conservative on social issues has soured many towards me but the greater problem is the concentration of federal power, often overly in the favor of the left to the point that the Atlasian right has abdicated fighting for those things that they believe in with regards to social and cultural issues. When I proposed the Nefarious Act, I sought to bring folks together on a social issue that was swept under the rug for the sake of the two big ones. When I made my play on returning a law to the region to a more pro-life state I did so partly to stand up to the rampant national bias against those of us who think in a more traditional sense. Should the left win on some social issues? Maybe. However it shouldn't be at the expense of regions who don't think it wise to do so. Life and marriage are such issues.

So is what you're saying that you'd oppose a federal ban on abortion or gay marriage?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 07:38:57 PM »

OK.... I'm not arguing with the merits of your amendment; I'm just saying we can't have stuff like, "In order to comply with the Atlasian Comprehensive Sex Education Bill 2013" when the whole purpose of your amendment is to give districts the freedom not to comply with it.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 10:06:50 PM »

So is what you're saying that you'd oppose a federal ban on abortion or gay marriage?

The idea is if I were in the senate, I'd propose a bill that would take the federal government out of the debate on these issues entirely.  Meaning they could not interfere with a regions decision under any circumstances. 
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2013, 02:29:40 AM »

JCL, are you going to rewrite the amendment, or do you want it voted on as-is?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2013, 02:58:17 PM »

JCL, are you going to rewrite the amendment, or do you want it voted on as-is?

As it is.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2013, 03:36:26 PM »

Alright, we'll take JCL's amendment to a vote. Members will vote AYE, NAY, or ABSTAIN. This will be a 24-hour vote.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2013, 03:41:38 PM »

NAY

I cannot support an amendment that would lead to a confusing bill that has contradicting language.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2013, 05:11:13 PM »

Nay
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2013, 06:14:28 PM »

I am generally fine with sex education but I want to see the introductory statement removed from the text of the bill; I consider it superfluous and unnecessarily ideological. Thus, I propose the following amendment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2013, 06:52:23 PM »

It is, in my view, debatable whether mere sex education is the "best" way to reduce sexually transmitted infections and unwanted pregnancies. I agree that sex education helps to achieve these goals, but it's not the only way. I know it's not a popular thing to say but promoting abstinence (as an alternative, not as the only option) can be helpful in certain circles, too. Additionally, since the term "progressive" is often used in a political context to denote "left-wing" or "liberal", I believe the word has too much of a one-sided connotation.

Anyway, what matters here is the content of the bill and not the introductory statement. I will feel more comfortable when I can sign this bill without that sentence at the beginning.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2013, 12:01:30 AM »

Hang on - we still need to finish this amendment vote up first.  As to passage of the bill, I'd really like to hold off on a final vote until we have a GM analysis on it.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2013, 05:12:39 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2013, 03:29:42 AM by Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC »

Voting is now closed.  The AYEs are 0, and the NAYs are 3, with 2 not voting.  The NAYs have it, and the amendment is not agreed to.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies