Odds of an anti-SSM Democrat winning any primary? Odds of a pro-SSM Republican?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:54:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Odds of an anti-SSM Democrat winning any primary? Odds of a pro-SSM Republican?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Odds of an anti-SSM Democrat winning any primary? Odds of a pro-SSM Republican?  (Read 3244 times)
badgate
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2013, 01:31:03 AM »

Demorats: 20/80
Republicans: 1/100
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2013, 09:19:54 AM »

Surprised at all the 0% for Republicans -- Jon Huntsman could potentially win a state or two, as could John Bolton.  Not to mention that Christie is already on the path to being explicitly pro-SSM, and there's a non-0 chance he'll have fully come out by the 2016 primaries.

For Democrats, it's extremely unlikely, but if Hillary wraps it up after 4 or 5 states, maybe Randall Terry or someone like that will sink a bunch of money into one state. 
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2013, 10:45:19 AM »

I'd say 0% for Dems - I doubt any of the few left will run - and about 25% for Republicans. The polls are only going in one direction. I think there's a chance Christie "evolves" on the issue after he's been quiet about it for most of the primary season, and then reveals he's in favor as the primaries draw to a close once he's clinched the nod.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2013, 02:32:18 PM »

Surprised at all the 0% for Republicans -- Jon Huntsman could potentially win a state or two, as could John Bolton.  Not to mention that Christie is already on the path to being explicitly pro-SSM, and there's a non-0 chance he'll have fully come out by the 2016 primaries.

For Democrats, it's extremely unlikely, but if Hillary wraps it up after 4 or 5 states, maybe Randall Terry or someone like that will sink a bunch of money into one state. 

So am I.  I am very shocked.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2013, 03:08:45 PM »

Democrats: 0%, because anybody who was anti-gay marriage before running who wants to win at least one state is going to change their position.

Republicans: Almost certainly 100%.  Christie will run and likely be pro-SSM by then.  Hell, half of the presidential candidates could be pro-SSM by then.  I wouldn't be surprised if we see a candidate Portman running.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2013, 03:10:15 PM »

John Bolton has no chance. I know internet forums re-enforce these Washington Insider candidates like Tim Pawlenty, but nobody cares about John Bolton.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2013, 04:00:59 PM »

There are already about an even number of pro-SSM Republicans as there are anti-SSM.  It is no longer as taboo of a subject or a position even for the Republicans.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2013, 04:13:45 PM »

There are already about an even number of pro-SSM Republicans as there are anti-SSM.  It is no longer as taboo of a subject or a position even for the Republicans.

It really isn't and Republicans are much more accepting of gay marriage than the dinosaur media wants people to think. Also, it's not an issue they're really very passionate about compared to Democrats. Regardless of what my party thinks, I think we should help to legalize it just to take an issue off of the table for Democrats.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2013, 04:22:37 PM »

It really isn't and Republicans are much more accepting of gay marriage than the dinosaur media wants people to think. Also, it's not an issue they're really very passionate about compared to Democrats. Regardless of what my party thinks, I think we should help to legalize it just to take an issue off of the table for Democrats.

Very true.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2013, 05:16:17 PM »

I think 5% for the Dems, and 4% for the Reps.
Nichlemn

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2013, 06:08:39 PM »

I doubt Christie would be pro-SSM in 2016. He isn't now, even in a state where almost a majority of Republicans are pro-SSM. Yes, he dropped the suit against it, but that might be more of a pragmatic decision, and also reflect the imminent election in NJ. In 2016, the primary electorate will be much more conservative than the NJ general electorate.

I wouldn't put this past happening:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

But I don't think it really counts for the purposes of my exercise.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2013, 06:19:38 PM »

Pretty much zero.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2013, 07:35:02 PM »

I realize I misread the question. It's not what the odds are that an anti-SSM Democrat or pro-SSM Republican will become the nominee, but whether they'll win any state primary.

That changes things. Current Republican contenders can change their mind, and there are at least two potential candidates who support SSM who could have credible bids. In previous Republican primaries (which included a next in line frontrunner who doesn't exist in '16) three candidates won state primaries (with Ron Paul also winning the Virgin Islands in 2012.)

The strong showings by nobodies who ran against Obama in West Virginia and Tennessee primaries show potential opening for a conservative Democrat to win a few states. It won't be enough to win the election, but it could be an effective promotional tool  to raise a national profile (to help with a book tour, or to make someone an appealing choice for a cabinet post.) That said, the handful of Democrats opposed to SSM aren't listed as potential presidential contenders, so while the odds one will win at least one state are not non-existent, it's still pretty low.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2013, 08:06:10 PM »

Not surprised that someone like you would want to give people equal treatment under the law "just" to take the issue away from the other party... maybe you should learn to tolerate other people, you could start with deleting all of your posts calling minorities "racist."
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2013, 09:53:11 PM »

Republicans: Almost certainly 100%.  Christie will run and likely be pro-SSM by then.  Hell, half of the presidential candidates could be pro-SSM by then.

If this happens I'll video tape myself eating my cat's food. No way in hell does that happen. Although the religious right's power is waning quickly among all Americans, their influence within the GOP is still very strong.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2013, 09:15:09 AM »
« Edited: October 28, 2013, 12:42:03 PM by Stranger in a strange land »

There are already about an even number of pro-SSM Republicans as there are anti-SSM.  It is no longer as taboo of a subject or a position even for the Republicans.

Very true.
Sorry guys, but this is wishful thinking. The Republican Party will not nominate a pro-SSM candidate in 2016. Maybe they will in 2020, after Ted Cruz or someone like him leads them to disaster, but the Republican base, which is much older, more rural, and more religious than the country as a whole, is still implacably opposed to gay marriage.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2013, 02:00:11 PM »

The latter is more likely (but still unlikely); the GOP rank-and-file cares a lot more about abortion and could probably accept a pro-SSMer if they were sufficiently fascistic otherwise.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2013, 02:03:50 PM »

There are very few Anti-SSM Democrats, and the few that are will not run for president.

A Pro-SSM Republican is more common (slightly). A non-Homophobe could win, but not a supporter.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2013, 01:49:40 PM »

0% for the Dems. Manchin picking up support in Appalachia means nothing if he doesn't have the support of the liberal northeast, and I don't see the northeast or party elites supporting an anti-SSM candidate, both because of the issue being important to them and because said candidate would probably be too conservative on other issues as well (guns, etc.).

I'll go with 10% for the Republicans. The scenario I see would be Christie coming out in favor (I think he probably is deep down but has not yet for political reasons) and while that would deal him a huge hit in the polls, he could still possibly win. It's a slim chance, though.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2013, 01:54:32 PM »

There are already about an even number of pro-SSM Republicans as there are anti-SSM.  It is no longer as taboo of a subject or a position even for the Republicans.

Very true.
Sorry guys, but this is wishful thinking. The Republican Party will not nominate a pro-SSM candidate in 2016. Maybe they will in 2020, after Ted Cruz or someone like him leads them to disaster, but the Republican base, which is much older, more rural, and more religious than the country as a whole, is still implacably opposed to gay marriage.

Don't forget more white and more male than the country as a whole.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »

Very true.

I could see your scenario in the sense that the primaries are usually more partisan than the general election on both sides of the aisle.  However, I still think the Republicans have a good chance to see a pro-SSM winning a primary state.  Granted, it would have to be a state that currently allows SSM, such as Iowa or New Hampshire, or California, but the states that are still do not allow it or recognize it, especially those in the Bible Belt no way in hell would that happen.  Heck, that probably won't happen until 2048 or 2052.
Nichlemn

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2013, 06:55:42 PM »

Very true.

I could see your scenario in the sense that the primaries are usually more partisan than the general election on both sides of the aisle.  However, I still think the Republicans have a good chance to see a pro-SSM winning a primary state.  Granted, it would have to be a state that currently allows SSM, such as Iowa or New Hampshire, or California, but the states that are still do not allow it or recognize it, especially those in the Bible Belt no way in hell would that happen.  Heck, that probably won't happen until 2048 or 2052.

That seems too late. Nate Silver's projections are a useful guide. Though they don't go any further than 2020, he projects only six states to disapprove by that point, and extrapolating later we should majority approval in every state by 2032.

A relevant number for our exercise is he projects 54% support for SSM in a hypothetical nationwide referendum in 2016. So a clear majority, but not so overwhelming that Republicans will feel forced to give support in order to be electable in the general, and also indicative of a Republican primary that will still be largely in opposition.

Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2013, 10:23:57 PM »

Very true.

That seems too late. Nate Silver's projections are a useful guide. Though they don't go any further than 2020, he projects only six states to disapprove by that point, and extrapolating later we should majority approval in every state by 2032.

A relevant number for our exercise is he projects 54% support for SSM in a hypothetical nationwide referendum in 2016. So a clear majority, but not so overwhelming that Republicans will feel forced to give support in order to be electable in the general, and also indicative of a Republican primary that will still be largely in opposition.

I could see anywhere between 2028 and 2036.  I was exaggerating when I said 2048 or 2052, but I think anytime in the next 10-20 years.  There is a possibility it may happen by 2024, but I think 2028-2036 are the most likely cycles.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2013, 09:45:14 AM »

0% for the Dems. Manchin picking up support in Appalachia means nothing if he doesn't have the support of the liberal northeast, and I don't see the northeast or party elites supporting an anti-SSM candidate, both because of the issue being important to them and because said candidate would probably be too conservative on other issues as well (guns, etc.).

I'll go with 10% for the Republicans. The scenario I see would be Christie coming out in favor (I think he probably is deep down but has not yet for political reasons) and while that would deal him a huge hit in the polls, he could still possibly win. It's a slim chance, though.

I don't think he'll run again/have a chance, but I'd also bet Huntsman is that way too.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies