Reparations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:39:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Reparations
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Reparations  (Read 1091 times)
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 26, 2013, 03:02:57 PM »

Reparations:

Acknowledge the fundamental injustice of the enslavement of those of African ancestry prior to the Civil War.

Apologize on behalf of the people of the United States for the enslavement of those of African ancestry prior to the Civil War.

Provide a public education fund to inform our country about slavery.

Financially provide $20,000 of reparations for direct descendants of slaves within the next two years.

Set an example of the United States as honoring human rights.

Other Agendas:

Prohibit sexual identity discrimination at schools.
No need to add sexual orientation to hate crimes.
Leave gay marriage up to the states.
Don't make the Patriot Act Permanent.
Protect Pledge of Allegiance in public schools.
Continue and advocate affirmative action programs in colleges, but not the workforce.
Recognize and celebrate the historical anniversary of ending slavery.
Constitutional Amendment for equal women's rights.
Constitutional Amendment banning flag desecration.
Enforce against wage discrimination based on gender.
Honor 100th anniversary of NAACP.
Allow for gay adoptions.
Support principles embodied in equal rights amendment.
Loosen restrictions on cell phone wiretapping.
Provide special funding for minority and women owned businesses.
Keep Rosa Parks stamp.
Darth Plagueis
Kazakhstan

Political Matrix
E: 5.65, S: 1.45

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 03:32:57 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2013, 04:17:33 PM by Herman Cain 2016 »

Reparations:

Acknowledge the fundamental injustice of the enslavement of those of African ancestry prior to the Civil War. - Agree

Apologize on behalf of the people of the United States for the enslavement of those of African ancestry prior to the Civil War. - Agree (there already was a official apology, but still)

Provide a public education fund to inform our country about slavery. Disagree

Financially provide $20,000 of reparations for direct descendants of slaves within the next two years. - Disagree

Set an example of the United States as honoring human rights. - Agree

Other Agendas:

Prohibit sexual identity discrimination at schools. - Disagree
No need to add sexual orientation to hate crimes. - Agree (abolish hate crime laws)
Leave gay marriage up to the states. - Agree
Don't make the Patriot Act Permanent. Agree
Protect Pledge of Allegiance in public schools. Agree
Continue and advocate affirmative action programs in colleges, but not the workforce. Disagree
Recognize and celebrate the historical anniversary of ending slavery. Agree
Constitutional Amendment for equal women's rights. Disagree
Constitutional Amendment banning flag desecration. Disagree
Enforce against wage discrimination based on gender. Disagree
Honor 100th anniversary of NAACP. Agree
Allow for gay adoptions. - Agree
Loosen restrictions on cell phone wiretapping. Agree
Provide special funding for minority and women owned businesses. Disagree
Keep Rosa Parks stamp. Agree
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 03:53:06 PM »

Please excuse me, I just need to go and vomit.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 04:13:47 PM »

I don't know what the hell this is supposed to be but anyway.

Acknowledge the fundamental injustice of the enslavement of those of African ancestry prior to the Civil War. Sure.

Apologize on behalf of the people of the United States for the enslavement of those of African ancestry prior to the Civil War. Sure.

Provide a public education fund to inform our country about slavery. Sure.

Financially provide $20,000 of reparations for direct descendants of slaves within the next two years. Sure.

Set an example of the United States as honoring human rights.

Other Agendas:

Prohibit sexual identity discrimination at schools. I don't know what this would mean.

No need to add sexual orientation to hate crimes. Why not?
Leave gay marriage up to the states.  No.
Don't make the Patriot Act Permanent. I have no problem with and don't care about the PATRIOT Act.
Protect Pledge of Allegiance in public schools. No.
Continue and advocate affirmative action programs in colleges, but not the workforce. No given the latter part.
Recognize and celebrate the historical anniversary of ending slavery. Sure.
Constitutional Amendment for equal women's rights. Sure.
Constitutional Amendment banning flag desecration. No.
Enforce against wage discrimination based on gender. Sure.
Honor 100th anniversary of NAACP. Sure.
Allow for gay adoptions. Sure.
Support principles embodied in equal rights amendment. Sure.
Loosen restrictions on cell phone wiretapping. Sure.
Provide special funding for minority and women owned businesses. Sure.
Keep Rosa Parks stamp. Sure.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 06:25:52 PM »

Please excuse me, I just need to go and vomit.

What don't you like about it?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 06:42:18 PM »

barfy did you just advocate banning of flag burning? Yuck!
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 06:49:55 PM »

barfy did you just advocate banning of flag burning? Yuck!

No I did the exact opposite. What do you think of these ideas?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 06:52:14 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2013, 06:57:22 PM by Frodo »

Reparations:

Acknowledge the fundamental injustice of the enslavement of those of African ancestry prior to the Civil War.  Agree

Apologize on behalf of the people of the United States for the enslavement of those of African ancestry prior to the Civil War.   Agree

Provide a public education fund to inform our country about slavery.  Provided it also includes Jim Crow and its pernicious after-effects in the curriculum, agree.

Financially provide $20,000 of reparations for direct descendants of slaves within the next two years.  Disagree, though the 'Forty Acres and a Mule' proposal would have made better sense immediately after the Civil War.  This isn't to say I only support symbolic measures like those above.  I just think the money can be better spent.  For instance, generally improving public education, health care, beefing up our social safety net, and (eventually) making home-ownership more accessible to lower-income minorities would go much further than seemingly blindly throwing money at black households.  

Set an example of the United States as honoring human rights.  Agree

Other Agendas:

Prohibit sexual identity discrimination at schools.  Agree
No need to add sexual orientation to hate crimes. Disagree
Leave gay marriage up to the states. Agree
Don't make the Patriot Act Permanent.  Undecided
Protect Pledge of Allegiance in public schools.  Agree
Continue and advocate affirmative action programs in colleges, but not the workforce.  Agree, provided those programs put more emphasis on economic circumstance as opposed to race/ethnicity.
Recognize and celebrate the historical anniversary of ending slavery.  Agree
Constitutional Amendment for equal women's rights.   Agree
Constitutional Amendment banning flag desecration.  Disagree
Enforce against wage discrimination based on gender.  Agree
Honor 100th anniversary of NAACP.  Agree
Allow for gay adoptions.  Agree
Support principles embodied in equal rights amendment.   Agree
Loosen restrictions on cell phone wiretapping. ?
Provide special funding for minority and women owned businesses.  Agree
Keep Rosa Parks stamp.  Agree
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 07:04:33 PM »

Frodo

As for the reparations, you would have to have documented proof tha you are a descendant of a slave. It could be used for Black scholarships and schools.

By loosening wiretap restrictions I meant I don't think it's hurting anything right now.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 09:17:32 PM »

Reparations:

Acknowledge the fundamental injustice of the enslavement of those of African ancestry prior to the Civil War. Sure.

Apologize on behalf of the people of the United States for the enslavement of those of African ancestry prior to the Civil War. Definitely. This is long overdue.

Provide a public education fund to inform our country about slavery. So long as it goes beyond simply slavery and fully addresses the host of injustices suffered by working people in this country at the hands of the American elite, absolutely.

Financially provide $20,000 of reparations for direct descendants of slaves within the next two years. Give all Americans $25-30K per year as part of a universal basic income policy.

Set an example of the United States as honoring human rights. Once we make a hell of a lot of changes, this might be possible.

Other Agendas:

Prohibit sexual identity discrimination at schools. Yes.
No need to add sexual orientation to hate crimes. Make it impossible to fire someone unless there is 'just cause' to do so.
Leave gay marriage up to the states. No, abolish marriage and tax the state out of it altogether.
Don't make the Patriot Act Permanent. Repeal it now.
Protect Pledge of Allegiance in public schools. Ban the forced recital of the pledge.
Continue and advocate affirmative action programs in colleges, but not the workforce. If you're going to have affirmative action, make it socioeconomic based, rather than race or sex based.
Constitutional Amendment banning flag desecration. No. Never.
Enforce against wage discrimination based on gender. Yes.
Honor 100th anniversary of NAACP. Sure?
Allow for gay adoptions. Definitely.
Support principles embodied in equal rights amendment. Yes.
Loosen restrictions on cell phone wiretapping. No.
Provide special funding for minority and women owned businesses. No. End all special funds for business operations. Use the money save to invest in labor-saving devices.
Keep Rosa Parks stamp. yes.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 09:21:20 PM »

Reparations:

Apologize on behalf of the people of the United States for the enslavement of those of African ancestry prior to the Civil War. Definitely. This is long overdue.

Provide a public education fund to inform our country about slavery. So long as it goes beyond simply slavery and fully addresses the host of injustices suffered by working people in this country at the hands of the American elite, absolutely.

Financially provide $20,000 of reparations for direct descendants of slaves within the next two years. Give all Americans $25-30K per year as part of a universal basic income policy.

Set an example of the United States as honoring human rights. Once we make a hell of a lot of changes, this might be possible.

Other Agendas:

Prohibit sexual identity discrimination at schools. Yes.
No need to add sexual orientation to hate crimes. Make it impossible to fire someone unless there is 'just cause' to do so.
Leave gay marriage up to the states. No, abolish marriage and tax the state out of it altogether.
Don't make the Patriot Act Permanent. Repeal it now.
Protect Pledge of Allegiance in public schools. Ban the forced recital of the pledge.
Continue and advocate affirmative action programs in colleges, but not the workforce. If you're going to have affirmative action, make it socioeconomic based, rather than race or sex based.
Constitutional Amendment banning flag desecration. No. Never.
Enforce against wage discrimination based on gender. Yes.
Honor 100th anniversary of NAACP. Sure?
Allow for gay adoptions. Definitely.
Support principles embodied in equal rights amendment. Yes.
Loosen restrictions on cell phone wiretapping. No.
Provide special funding for minority and women owned businesses. No. End all special funds for business operations. Use the money save to invest in labor-saving devices.
Keep Rosa Parks stamp. yes.

So we should be dependent on politicians to give us money each year?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 09:37:02 PM »

While, we're at it, I'd like some compensation from the English for oppressing the Scots. Angry
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 01:52:37 AM »

While, we're at it, I'd like some compensation from the English for oppressing the Scots. Angry

Never!!!

But, as to why I don't like these policies, there are a couple of good things here and there like protecting the pledge of allegiance and banning flag burning (I would also have thrown in mandatory school prayers as well). But, aside from a lot of these points just being fairly standard socially liberal malarkey, some of your points, such as 'apologising' are ridiculous to me. How can you apologise on behalf of people who will never have been involved with slavery. Sorry to invoke Godwins Law, but its rather like asking the present day German people to apologise for the Holocaust (except the latter probably has a more solid foundation, given its relative recency). Providing 20,000 of reparations? Get out of it.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 12:06:37 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2013, 12:29:16 PM by Redalgo »

Reparations:

Acknowledge the fundamental injustice of the enslavement of those of African ancestry prior to the Civil War. (Agree)

Apologize on behalf of the people of the United States for the enslavement of those of African ancestry prior to the Civil War. (Agree)

Provide a public education fund to inform our country about slavery. (Disagree)

Financially provide $20,000 of reparations for direct descendants of slaves within the next two years. (Strongly Disagree)

Set an example of the United States as honoring human rights. (Strongly Agree)

Slavery is already discussed in public education curricula so far as I'm aware; reparation payments generations removed from the severest injustices sought to be rectified provides us an example of how liberal welfare policies draw attention to social statuses by extending preferential treatment to one group while harming others - generating some degree of resentment and making it harder to maintain solidarity; and all Americans should receive a tax-free, basic livable income. The U.S. should be exemplary in honoring human rights but, in my opinion, is not doing so very well these days relative to what it could be doing.

Other Agendas:

Prohibit sexual identity discrimination at schools. (Strongly Agree)
No need to add sexual orientation to hate crimes. (Disagree)
Leave gay marriage up to the states. (Strongly Disagree)
Don't make the Patriot Act Permanent. (Strongly Agree)
Protect Pledge of Allegiance in public schools. (Strongly Disagree)
Continue and advocate affirmative action programs in colleges, but not the workforce. (Disagree)
Recognize and celebrate the historical anniversary of ending slavery. (Disagree)
Constitutional Amendment for equal women's rights. (Disagree)
Constitutional Amendment banning flag desecration. (Strongly Disagree)
Enforce against wage discrimination based on gender. (Agree)
Honor 100th anniversary of NAACP. (Disagree)
Allow for gay adoptions. (Strongly Agree)
Support principles embodied in equal rights amendment. (Strongly Agree)
Loosen restrictions on cell phone wiretapping. (Strongly Disagree)
Provide special funding for minority and women owned businesses. (Disagree)
Keep Rosa Parks stamp. (Indifferent)

I am on the fence when it comes to whether "hate crimes" should be aggressively pursued, consider gender identity pertinent to the ongoing movement to achieve better civil rights; I consider the Pledge of Allegiance a horrible ritual, care more about civil liberties than whether the U.S. is attacked by terrorists, think affirmative action is okay on the whole but not exactly the best policy for us in the long run, and I do not believe the state should intervene in the economy to give money - whether available to anyone or a particular group - for starting up businesses. The stamp matter is trivial to me, honestly, and in regards to the NAACP I fell like we already have too many Congressionally rubber-stamped holiday and recognition ideas for recognizing and/or pandering to various segments of the population as it is. Flag desecration is completely fine, though a bit distasteful, and I don't want constitutional amendments; I want a new constitution altogether.
Link
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 10:18:37 AM »

Financially provide $20,000 of reparations for direct descendants of slaves within the next two years.

A terrible idea.  It would make more sense to spend that money on education, job training, healthcare, and enforcement of civil rights laws.  And $20,000 for generations of unpaid labor followed by Jim Crow is a slap in the face.

The fact of the matter is the current state of the African American community in the United States is a direct result of slavery.  The objective should be to fix the African American community.  Not just cut on small check.  Besides fixing the African American community is an investment in America.  If the African American community gets fix (at least relative to it's current state) then everybody saves money in the long run.
Darth Plagueis
Kazakhstan

Political Matrix
E: 5.65, S: 1.45

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 10:13:02 PM »

I think slave owners should pay direct reparations to slaves.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 09:15:12 PM »

Reparations:

Acknowledge the fundamental injustice of the enslavement of those of African ancestry prior to the Civil War. Agree.

Apologize on behalf of the people of the United States for the enslavement of those of African ancestry prior to the Civil War. Agree.

Provide a public education fund to inform our country about slavery.Disagree.

Financially provide $20,000 of reparations for direct descendants of slaves within the next two years.Disagree.

Set an example of the United States as honoring human rights.Agree.

Other Agendas:

Prohibit sexual identity discrimination at schools. Disagree.
No need to add sexual orientation to hate crimes. Agree. Get rid of Hate Crimes.
Leave gay marriage up to the states. Agree.
Don't make the Patriot Act Permanent.Agree.
Protect Pledge of Allegiance in public schools.Agree.
Continue and advocate affirmative action programs in colleges, but not the workforce.Disagree.
Recognize and celebrate the historical anniversary of ending slavery.Agree.
Constitutional Amendment for equal women's rights. Disagree.
Constitutional Amendment banning flag desecration. Disagree.
Enforce against wage discrimination based on gender.Disagree.
Honor 100th anniversary of NAACP.Disagree.
Support principles embodied in equal rights amendment. Disagree.
Loosen restrictions on cell phone wiretapping.Disagree.
Provide special funding for minority and women owned businesses.Disagree.
Keep Rosa Parks stamp.Disagree.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies