NY-4 Is the third time the charm for Frank Scuturro?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:48:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-4 Is the third time the charm for Frank Scuturro?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NY-4 Is the third time the charm for Frank Scuturro?  (Read 2846 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 27, 2013, 12:48:35 PM »

http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/frank-scaturro-plans-third-run-at-carolyn-mccarthy-1.6296545
hopper
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 12:58:23 PM »

Its hard for the Republican to win a district like this even if it is trending Republican. The only success that the R's have had on the Island is Peter King of recent history. The R's couldn't take Isreal(2nd District)or Bishop(1st District) out in the 2010 Republican Wave Year and those districts are a little more Republican than the 4th. The R's came very very close to taking Bishop out in the 2010 Republican Wave Year though.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 01:34:02 PM »

Maybe if McCarthy retires, but Bishop is the only Long Island Democrat who's got a chance at losing.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 01:44:48 PM »

Very unlikely.  Even John Kerry won this seat.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 03:48:36 PM »

Even if McCarthy dies in office, I'd still give Dems the edge. Especially against a guy who's failed twice before.

free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 12:45:50 PM »

And McCarthy's retiring.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 01:20:52 PM »

Yep. I wonder if DA Kathleen Rice will end up running; she's clearly ambitious.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 02:13:04 PM »

Yep. I wonder if DA Kathleen Rice will end up running; she's clearly ambitious.

Without knowing any of the candidates I would rate this as likely Dem at this point, if Rice runs probably safe Dem.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 02:18:02 PM »

I'm guessing Nassau County Legislator Dave Denenberg (if he doesn't run to replace Fuschillo), NIFA chair and former North Hempstead town supervisor Jon Kaiman (though I, Believe he lives in Meeks's district) and Kathleen Rice would be the stronger candidates...

As for the Republicans Scturro is still in it... but I doubt he gets a clear field now...

Other Possibilities are, Former State Assemblywoman and Town of Hempstead Supervisor Kate Murray, Nassau County Comptroller George Maragos, State Assemblyman David McDonough, State Assemblyman Ed Ra and State Senator Dean Skelos

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 02:30:04 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2014, 04:26:56 PM by Smash255 »

I'm guessing Nassau County Legislator Dave Denenberg (if he doesn't run to replace Fuschillo), NIFA chair and former North Hempstead town supervisor Jon Kaiman (though I, Believe he lives in Meeks's district) and Kathleen Rice would be the stronger candidates...

As for the Republicans Scturro is still in it... but I doubt he gets a clear field now...

Other Possibilities are, Former State Assemblywoman and Town of Hempstead Supervisor Kate Murray, Nassau County Comptroller George Maragos, State Assemblyman David McDonough, State Assemblyman Ed Ra and State Senator Dean Skelos

Kaiman was in the old 5th district (Ackerman's old district) but is in the 4th now  3rd now with Steve Israel (I'm pretty sure he lives in Great Neck).  The only part of Meeks's district in Nassau is the SW corner (Inwood area).

I think Kevan Abrahams is also a potential candidate for the Dems (Nassau Legislature Minority Leader) could be a crowded Primary, but the field likely clears if Rice jumps in.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 03:15:32 AM »

Probably no. And McCarthy's district is NOT so Democratic (about D+5), and with many ambitious Republicans AND usual midterm turnout dropoff can easily go that way. Leans D for me for now.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 11:09:18 AM »

D+5 is pretty steep for a Republican. The only Republican to hold such a high Democratic PVI district is Gary Miller and he didn't even have an Democratic opponent. NY-4 actually got more Democratic in 2012, so that helps make it more Likely Democratic than anything.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 11:37:56 AM »

D+5 is pretty steep for a Republican. The only Republican to hold such a high Democratic PVI district is Gary Miller and he didn't even have an Democratic opponent. NY-4 actually got more Democratic in 2012, so that helps make it more Likely Democratic than anything.

Just as R+5 is for Democrats now (it seems to me that after 2014 there will be no more then couple of Democrats from redder districts). Would not it be a Long Island it would be Likely D for me, but on Long Island Republican candidates frequently overperform (look at state Senators from this area), while Democratic - underperform.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 12:31:11 PM »

Just as R+5 is for Democrats now (it seems to me that after 2014 there will be no more then couple of Democrats from redder districts). Would not it be a Long Island it would be Likely D for me, but on Long Island Republican candidates frequently overperform (look at state Senators from this area), while Democratic - underperform.

The State Senate is a totally different ball game than Congressional seats.. Long Island is considerably more Republicam in races for local races than it is for national offices. The only State Senate district on LI that is more Democratic from an enrollment perspective than the 4th CD is the 9th SD, and Skelos is very well entrenched (that SD likely goes Dem, once Skelos retires).  Not to mention Rice would be by far the strongest candidate on either side if she jumps in.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 12:36:48 PM »

I doubt McDonough runs considering he is 76 or 77.  Skelos is 65 as well, so he might choose to simply staty in the State Senate, especially considering he is still fairly powerful there.  Kate Murry and Ra are possibilites, Murray wouldd certainly have the better name recognition of the two of them. 
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 01:21:28 PM »

The State Senate is a totally different ball game than Congressional seats.. Long Island is considerably more Republicam in races for local races than it is for national offices. The only State Senate district on LI that is more Democratic from an enrollment perspective than the 4th CD is the 9th SD, and Skelos is very well entrenched (that SD likely goes Dem, once Skelos retires).  Not to mention Rice would be by far the strongest candidate on either side if she jumps in.

We shall see. After all - most candidates for national office are local officeholders
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 01:31:55 PM »

D+5 is no more easy for Republican to win than an R+5 is for a Democrat. With that said, the state senate is drawn to favor a Republican majority was pretty much drawn by Republicans. I'm not even sure if any Republican held Senate districts go as high as D+5. Federally, Republicans haven't been able to break through, not even in the more Republican NY-1.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 01:41:25 PM »

D+5 is no more easy for Republican to win than an R+5 is for a Democrat. With that said, the state senate is drawn to favor a Republican majority was pretty much drawn by Republicans. I'm not even sure if any Republican held Senate districts go as high as D+5. Federally, Republicans haven't been able to break through, not even in the more Republican NY-1.

Depends on too many things - political climate in November, midterm Democratic vote dropoff (with almost 18% of population being Hispanic it may be substantial) and so on. I prefer to be "too catious" unless proven otherwise.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 02:04:17 PM »

We shall see. After all - most candidates for national office are local officeholders

Just because they vote for someone for a local office, doesn't mean they will vote for the same person for a national office.  Different issues, different dynamics.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 02:07:32 PM »

Skelos's district is the only one that is in that range.  He is also a long term Incumbent (in office since 1982)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 10:48:32 PM »

Rice is seriously considering a run and heading to Washington to meet with members of Congress

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/nassau-da-kathleen-rice-seriously-considering-congress-run-1.6775276

(Newsday's site is behind a paywall)
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 10:56:12 PM »

With Cuomo performing strongly at the top of the ticket it should be no problem holding this seat with someone like Rice. I'd expect Cuomo to campaign with her as well.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 08:40:51 PM »

Cuomo's landslide could cut the other way as well. He is a sure to win candidate, who doesn't exactly please the base so low turnout could be possible as well considering there are no Senate races either.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 09:24:22 PM »

Nassau DA Kathleen Rice is in

Safe D

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/kathleen-rice-to-seek-carolyn-mccarthy-seat-in-congress-1.6905396
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 09:41:27 PM »

Yep. Race over. Nothing to see here, move on.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies