Should Homeschooling Be Banned?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:30:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should Homeschooling Be Banned?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Poll
Question: ?
Yes
No
No, but it should only be allowed in exceptional circumstances
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Should Homeschooling Be Banned?  (Read 12535 times)
Darth Plagueis
Kazakhstan

Political Matrix
E: 5.65, S: 1.45

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2013, 04:05:56 PM »

Public schools=Complete junk, run by corrupt thugs and corrupt unions. Have no intention of helping kids, nor do they plan to. Reward lazzyness, fighting, and thuggrey.

private/charter/homeschooling are the way to go people. Vouchers will make private schools avalible to all. In a free market economy, schools will be competing to educate your kids.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2013, 04:55:34 PM »

Wait, what? Is this supposed to imply something?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2013, 05:02:24 PM »

I think he's trying to imply that many blacks are poor and should have a choice of a more effective and cheaper education away from some of the terrible schools that they currently are in.
Darth Plagueis
Kazakhstan

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2013, 05:15:15 PM »

I think he's trying to imply that many blacks are poor and should have a choice of a more effective and cheaper education away from some of the terrible schools that they currently are in.

Exacley. Most Blacks support school choice and privatization. because the PUBLIC SCHOOLS they go to are COMPLETE CRAP. Obviously their shoul be school choice, no one with sanity supports the public schools.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2013, 05:36:31 PM »

Exacley. Most Blacks support school choice and privatization. because the PUBLIC SCHOOLS they go to are COMPLETE CRAP. Obviously their shoul be school choice, no one with sanity supports the public schools.

Not all public schools are bad, you know. The one I go to, for example, is ranked in at the top 10 schools in the State of Wisconsin (and no, my parents aren't "rich" or anything). Don't buy into republican propaganda, but obviously, many public schools throughout the country are horribly ineffective and there should be freedom of options.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2013, 05:39:08 PM »

So in other words you have no actual definition of 'rich'.

They must not exist then! What is your point, you tiresome idiot?
How are you not banned yet?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2013, 05:40:20 PM »

I suppose stipulations for homeschooling education standards make sense, but certainly not banning it. If kids are learning, how they do so is nobody else's business.
Darth Plagueis
Kazakhstan

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2013, 05:41:02 PM »

Not all public schools are bad, you know. The one I go to, for example, is ranked in at the top 10 schools in the State of Wisconsin (and no, my parents aren't "rich" or anything). Don't buy into republican propaganda, but obviously, many public schools throughout the country are horribly ineffective and there should be freedom of options.

Not all, but most as I know this from experience. I've been to both private and public schools. Public schools are usually more effective in small towns/rural areas, but failures in big cities.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2013, 05:41:15 PM »

Yes, obviously. But I think banning homeschooling without broader reforms would be treating only the symptoms of a disease of American education.

Firstly, Private and Charter schools would either become public or be shut down. Secondly, the US government would take over the education system for the entire country, and establish a National Teaching service. Teachers would be required to pass a fairly tough test to get their jobs, and then would be assigned to a school anywhere in the country. In schools that perform poorly on standardized tests, the very best scorers would get poured in. Otherwise, positions are assigned randomly. Most government funding would go to schools in poorly performing, poor areas. However, there would still be a net increase in funding to all schools.

Higher education would also be nationalized. Tuition, of course, would be abolished. Colleges would be prohibited from considering anything but College Entrance Exam Scores and GPA (race would optional, depending on the university's choice, but income-based affirmative action would be obligatory). Universities would have a great deal of freedom otherwise- there would be very few restrictions on academic freedom, for instance. There would not be an excessive emphasis on STEM stuff, it should be noted- all subjects are equally worthy of attention.

There would be a good deal of emphasis on erasing the stigma of not having a college degree.
Vocational colleges and Community Colleges would become increasingly important instead.

All teachers would belong to a union, and would have pretty high salaries- definitely enough to propel them into the top 10% of income earners.

All of this would be payed for by a fairly substantial hike in taxes.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2013, 05:42:26 PM »

To those who oppose homeschooling in all forms- where do the mentally or emotionally handicapped kids go? Perhaps we can invest more seriously in a variety of different special-education programs?

Curious here.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2013, 05:49:30 PM »

To those who oppose homeschooling in all forms- where do the mentally or emotionally handicapped kids go? Perhaps we can invest more seriously in a variety of different special-education programs?

Curious here.

There are exceptions to every rule, and special cases deserve individual consideration. Although preferably , there would be large investments in special education. "Home schooling" should be a last resort in extreme circumstances.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2013, 05:56:40 PM »

Curious here.

There are exceptions to every rule, and special cases deserve individual consideration. Although preferably , there would be large investments in special education. "Home schooling" should be a last resort in extreme circumstances.

Makes sense. Of course, there is a major class difference in how disabilities-whatever they may be-are treated. It's not that rich families don't have problems, it's that they can advocate for their children in ways that families of less means can't. Rich families have more options-in this and in so many other aspects of life.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2013, 06:02:34 PM »

So in other words you have no actual definition of 'rich'.

They must not exist then! What is your point, you tiresome idiot?
How are you not banned yet?

The same way you aren't when you do your "look, at these [pejorative] leftists, here, look" gimmick.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2013, 06:05:21 PM »

Education should be universal, just like health care.

It's hard for me to to be against home schooling, as I have family and know others who home school, but the fact of the matter is, children need to be taught outside the home as well as inside, so that they are not exposed to just the prejudices of their parents.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2013, 06:14:42 PM »

Why not just have one set of schools and avoid all the redundancy?
Why not just have one brand of gas stations and avoid all the redundancy? Do we really need both BP and Exxon?

Why not just have one type of peanut butter and avoid all the redundancy? Do we really need both creamy and crunchy?

Why not just have one baseball league and avoid all the redundancy? Do we really need both the AL and the NL?

I am completely in favor of having one gas company, actually.
Why not one political party, while we’re at it! And one wall to keep people from escaping capitalist pigs from infiltrating our workers paradise?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2013, 06:25:23 PM »

Yes, obviously. But I think banning homeschooling without broader reforms would be treating only the symptoms of a disease of American education.

Firstly, Private and Charter schools would either become public or be shut down. Secondly, the US government would take over the education system for the entire country, and establish a National Teaching service. Teachers would be required to pass a fairly tough test to get their jobs, and then would be assigned to a school anywhere in the country. In schools that perform poorly on standardized tests, the very best scorers would get poured in. Otherwise, positions are assigned randomly. Most government funding would go to schools in poorly performing, poor areas. However, there would still be a net increase in funding to all schools.

Higher education would also be nationalized. Tuition, of course, would be abolished. Colleges would be prohibited from considering anything but College Entrance Exam Scores and GPA (race would optional, depending on the university's choice, but income-based affirmative action would be obligatory). Universities would have a great deal of freedom otherwise- there would be very few restrictions on academic freedom, for instance. There would not be an excessive emphasis on STEM stuff, it should be noted- all subjects are equally worthy of attention.

There would be a good deal of emphasis on erasing the stigma of not having a college degree.
Vocational colleges and Community Colleges would become increasingly important instead.

All teachers would belong to a union, and would have pretty high salaries- definitely enough to propel them into the top 10% of income earners.

All of this would be payed for by a fairly substantial hike in taxes.

Shut down religious schools? Hitler shut down a lot of Jewish institutions. What are you really trying to say?
People would be perfectly free to maintain their religion. However, Schools should be secular- religious schools indoctrinate folks.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2013, 07:37:32 PM »

People would be perfectly free to maintain their religion. However, Schools should be secular- religious schools indoctrinate folks.

That particular argument makes very little sense as one of the - perfectly legitimate - purposes of schools is to indoctrinate.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2013, 07:50:31 PM »

That particular argument makes very little sense as one of the - perfectly legitimate - purposes of schools is to indoctrinate.

Religious schools indoctrinate folks with doctrines of which Sol disapproves, obviously. Totally different, you see.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2013, 08:13:43 PM »

absolutely not.

"If you want to plan for a year, plant rice
 If you want to plan for ten years, grow trees
 If you want to plan for a hundred years, educate your children."
           --confucius

"(and don't expect the state to do it for you)"
           --angus

It makes no sense to prevent those who have the most interest in the education of persons from educating those persons.  Obviously, home schooling is a serious endeavor, and it should be overseen (if the state has compulsory education laws) in order to ensure that it is undertaken seriously, but to prevent those who have the most interest would make no sense whatsoever.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2013, 08:24:36 PM »

Public schools=Complete junk, run by corrupt thugs and corrupt unions. Have no intention of helping kids, nor do they plan to. Reward lazzyness, fighting, and thuggrey.

private/charter/homeschooling are the way to go people. Vouchers will make private schools avalible to all. In a free market economy, schools will be competing to educate your kids.

I suppose my mother, who was a public school teacher for several years, is merely a lazy, corrupt union thug that never, ever, tried to help the kids in Pontiac where she taught.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2013, 09:12:09 PM »

Religious schools indoctrinate folks with doctrines of which Sol disapproves, obviously. Totally different, you see.
'Tis true, although perhaps not the way I'd've said it. Smiley

Really though, a certain degree of secularism is, I feel, is fairly desirable in a democracy. Thus, "indoctrinating" students with religion is not necessarily desirable if we want to maintain a separation of church and state.

Also, religious schools could serve as proxy for the wealthy to go into their own little private school bubble, which is what my plan is designed to avoid.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2013, 09:21:24 PM »

Banning private schools will only harm the lower to middle class students who attend them. Rich parents can just hire expensive tutors for their children.

As for homeschooling, if a parent believes that they are better qualified to be teach their child, then they should obviously be allowed to do so, provided they meet minimum standards.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2013, 09:29:06 PM »

As for homeschooling, if a parent believes that they are better qualified to be teach their child, then they should obviously be allowed to do so, provided they meet minimum standards.

For the posters who've said something to this effect; what sort of standards would you put in place?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2013, 09:29:58 PM »

'Tis true, although perhaps not the way I'd've said it. Smiley

Really though, a certain degree of secularism is, I feel, is fairly desirable in a democracy. Thus, "indoctrinating" students with religion is not necessarily desirable if we want to maintain a separation of church and state.

Also, religious schools could serve as proxy for the wealthy to go into their own little private school bubble, which is what my plan is designed to avoid.

Because without private schools, the rich would have nowhere such as say, certain areas or neighborhoods, to hide from the poor in.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2013, 09:37:04 PM »

For the posters who've said something to this effect; what sort of standards would you put in place?

I would imagine something along the lines of requiring them to pass standardized testing would work fairly well. You can set up a rule that any homeschooled child who fails the standardized testing two years in row cannot be homeschooled anymore.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies