Should Homeschooling Be Banned?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:49:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should Homeschooling Be Banned?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Poll
Question: ?
Yes
No
No, but it should only be allowed in exceptional circumstances
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Should Homeschooling Be Banned?  (Read 12498 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 28, 2013, 09:59:41 PM »

This issue come up in other conversations from time to time so I thought it might as well have it's own thread. It's an interesting issue to examine since it involves differing cultures, but has relatively little of the racial connotations that affect similar discussions.

What do you think? Should homeschooling be banned?
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 10:01:21 PM »

No but there should be guidelines to ensure that it follows at least the same basic curriculum as public schools and ideally should be limited to kids who are disabled.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 10:02:21 PM »

No. I strongly oppose any attempts to ban homeschooling.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 10:13:42 PM »

Yes, the rich should not be allowed to segregate themselves from the unwashed masses.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 10:15:47 PM »

Yes. Have you ever met someone who was homeschooled?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 10:16:01 PM »

No.  It would be unconstitutional for one thing.  And, just generally, it's not the place of the government to dictate how people raise their kids. 

Yes, for most people homeschooling is a bad choice.  But, for some families, for example those who live in rural areas and families with special religious or family situations, it can be the best choice.  I've actually met a few home-schooled kids that are among the best educated people I've ever known. 
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 10:17:39 PM »
« Edited: October 28, 2013, 10:21:01 PM by realisticidealist »

Most, though not all, homeschooled people I've ever met are well-adjusted, quite intelligent, and generally successful.

One of my econ professors pulled their daughter out of public school to homeschool her because she wasn't being challenged enough. Should they have been banned from doing so?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 10:19:07 PM »

Yes, the rich should not be allowed to segregate themselves from the unwashed masses.

That's private schools TNF.

Homeschoolers tend to be a mix of religious conservatives, and special cases (bullied, gifted, disabled in some form etc.)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 10:22:22 PM »

Homeschoolers tend to be a mix of religious conservatives, and special cases (bullied, gifted, disabled in some form etc.)

TNF has probably never met an actual "rich". Homeschool is for nutters.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 10:26:43 PM »

My bad. Yeah, private schools should be banned too.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 10:27:37 PM »

"give us the child for 8 years and he will be a Bolshevik forever."  -Lenin
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 10:29:24 PM »

Just prohibiting them from charging tuition and doing selective admission does the trick too.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 10:34:49 PM »

Just prohibiting them from charging tuition and doing selective admission does the trick too.

Why not just have one set of schools and avoid all the redundancy?
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 10:42:09 PM »

In such a scenario the only real reason for private schools to exist would be to provide religious instruction.

And I see no reason to outright ban things when simply setting a few regulations would have essentially same effect.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 10:44:35 PM »
« Edited: October 28, 2013, 10:48:37 PM by Reluctant Republican »

I was homeschooled for one year and think it worked for me. The school I went to before was horrid, and I was harassed pretty much every day by a few students. It escalated in 7th grade into sexual harassment and assault. Even after all of this, the school was content on giving the kids slaps on the wrists with no real consequences. Since the bullying had been going on for years without relief, my family decided to withdraw me in the last year of middle school. And since the other options around me were either religious in nature, very expensive, or just in general not having a good reputation, we decided on homeschooling.

In most ways I found it seemed exactly like normal school. My mom worked with one of my old teachers on a lesson plan for me, and  so I feel like I received pretty much the same education I would have in a more traditional setting. And IIRC she was required to submit a copy of the lesson plan to the board of education, so everything was above board on that front.

I'd probably support anyone being homeschooled meeting with a local teacher a few times a year to test that they're performing at an adequate rate, but so long as measures are in place, I'm confident it can be an effective option for education. It's definitely not a good idea for everyone and has challenges of its own, but I don't find it to be an inherently bad idea.

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 10:49:38 PM »

In such a scenario the only real reason for private schools to exist would be to provide religious instruction.

And I see no reason to outright ban things when simply setting a few regulations would have essentially same effect.

You should not be allowed to have religious instruction in schools.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 10:59:30 PM »

Yes, and on average they have been more productive humans than non-homeschooled humans.

As for the OP, no, of course not.  People that want to ban things they don't like are selfish assholes.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 01:59:07 AM »

Homeschooling should be encouraged for military families who are always moving. For those of you who have ever been children, think about how hard it would be to constantly be the new kid at school. Once you make friends and finally feel comfortable, it's time to move again. What a child needs most is security. Plus, the less teachers unions can brainwash children the better. No one should be forced at gun point to send their kids somewhere everyday. Don't tell me it's not at gun point either because if you don't send your kids to school for long enough, the police will come to your house and if you refuse at that point it comes to being forced at gun point. It's absolutely awful what is happening to our families. Lastly, public education is the preferred method without extreme circumstances. Kids need to learn social skills too.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 02:01:03 AM »

One size fits all as if we're all identical? What are we robots?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 02:05:41 AM »

Personally, I'm against it, but I wouldn't go so far as to ban it.

Homeschooling should be encouraged for military families who are always moving. For those of you who have ever been children, think about how hard it would be to constantly be the new kid at school. Once you make friends and finally feel comfortable, it's time to move again. What a child needs most is security. Plus, the less teachers unions can brainwash children the better. No one should be forced at gun point to send their kids somewhere everyday. Don't tell me it's not at gun point either because if you don't send your kids to school for long enough, the police will come to your house and if you refuse at that point it comes to being forced at gun point. It's absolutely awful what is happening to our families. Lastly, public education is the preferred method without extreme circumstances. Kids need to learn social skills too.

Dude, you're sounding like krazen. I've gone to public schools for the majority of my academic career and my teachers weren't in unions.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 02:56:51 AM »

You're insane.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2013, 03:45:44 AM »

In general, homeschooling should not be allowed. Education is not merely about academic performance, but also about developing social skills.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2013, 03:52:46 AM »

Yes. She's a mathematics and chemistry double major with an English minor who's an artist and a fencer and knows more about Kant and Hegel than anybody else I've ever met. We're all a little in awe of her. She's had a cold for the past few days and I hope she feels better soon.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2013, 05:30:48 AM »

I am strongly against banning homeschooling, but I think it would be best for, what Mung said, to make sure those who are being homeschooled have the minimum requirements for public school.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2013, 05:45:50 AM »

In general, homeschooling should not be allowed. Education is not merely about academic performance, but also about developing social skills.

^ Basically this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies