SENATE BILL: Sex Work Act of 2013 (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:19:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Sex Work Act of 2013 (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Sex Work Act of 2013 (Law'd)  (Read 1895 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 28, 2013, 11:50:23 PM »
« edited: November 12, 2013, 12:44:24 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: TNF
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 11:51:12 PM »

Okay, what do we got here, Senator. 24 hours etc.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 02:54:22 AM »

Are we going to hire an army of undercover Client 9's to ensure that condoms are being used?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 06:29:07 AM »

Are we going to hire an army of undercover Client 9's to ensure that condoms are being used?

I figure the requirement for regular STI testing will solve that problem.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 07:09:23 PM »

I propose renaming this bill the 'Opebo Act of 2013'.   Wink

At the very least, the one person on this forum who has actual experience as the customer should have some measure of input. 
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 09:24:58 PM »

If by some miracle I am still in the senate when this undergoes a final vote, I will vote against it. I don't see any variant of this I could end up supporting.

I see Senator TNF has finally found one kind of work he isn't opposed to people doing Tongue
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 12:23:37 AM »

An amendment:

I am very open to potentially backing this bill with a couple changes. Clause 5 is completely unenforceable - I believe clause 3 is sufficient.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 01:10:18 AM »

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor Feedback: None Given
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 06:20:54 AM »

Friendly
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 06:53:26 AM »

Senators have 24 hours to object to the above amendment.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 12:56:27 AM »

The amendment has been adopted. What now?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 01:11:49 AM »

I will support this bill, as I believe tight regulations on prostitution is better than the status quo. I would like to see prostitution only limited to those 18+, though.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 03:10:19 AM »

I am definitely not comfortable with waiving the requirement to wear condoms. However, it's rather obvious that it would be unenforceable. Let's instead require all sex workers to carry a condom, available upon request.

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 06:39:11 AM »

Amendment is friendly.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 08:47:29 AM »

I suspect you will be offering that this afternoon in 58th Senate, correct "Governor" Tyrion? Wink
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 10:54:46 AM »

I tend to oppose a measure to force someone to carry condoms with them at all times. If someone wants to bang without it, great, and if that sex worker doesn't have one and the client wants to use one, his client simply doesn't have to have sex with them. Fining them for not carrying a condom, well, seems a bit much, right? It's all about freedom to raw dog it, my friends. Tongue
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 11:15:59 AM »
« Edited: November 01, 2013, 11:17:34 AM by Governor Tyrion »

I tend to oppose a measure to force someone to carry condoms with them at all times. If someone wants to bang without it, great, and if that sex worker doesn't have one and the client wants to use one, his client simply doesn't have to have sex with them. Fining them for not carrying a condom, well, seems a bit much, right? It's all about freedom to raw dog it, my friends. Tongue

It's akin to requiring people to have fresh food in a school lunch. It's entirely for the citizens' health, and it serves the dual purpose of reducing healthcare costs for the country (since we'll be footing the bill for whatever that unsheathed sausage does).

I suspect you will be offering that this afternoon in 58th Senate, correct "Governor" Tyrion? Wink

Yes Tongue
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 11:20:22 AM »

It's akin to requiring people to have fresh food in a school lunch. It's entirely for the citizens' health, and it serves the dual purpose of reducing healthcare costs for the country (since we'll be footing the bill for whatever that unsheathed sausage does).

Yes Tongue

Well, the poor boy in the school cafeteria has no choice but to eat the food being served, or he will go hungry. He has no choice.

Here, the client of the sex worker can chose not to have sex with the worker if they do not carry a condom. Sex is great, but it is not as essential as eating, understand? I don't want to see poor little Jimmy go hungry, but I don't care if Mike has to find another sex worker to fulfill his primal urges. No, I won't lose any sleep over that.

I will say this little provision isn't a deal breaker, I am just putting my two cents out there. Tongue
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, 11:31:36 AM »

Yes Tongue

Well, the poor boy in the school cafeteria has no choice but to eat the food being served, or he will go hungry. He has no choice.

Here, the client of the sex worker can chose not to have sex with the worker if they do not carry a condom. Sex is great, but it is not as essential as eating, understand? I don't want to see poor little Jimmy go hungry, but I don't care if Mike has to find another sex worker to fulfill his primal urges. No, I won't lose any sleep over that.

I will say this little provision isn't a deal breaker, I am just putting my two cents out there. Tongue

Well, I feel like the analogy still holds. Little Jimmy could easily eat whatever other unhealthy item he wants, as long as the cafeteria provides it; we can't really stop him, because it would be too difficult to enforce. Similarly, a client could easily choose not to use a condom under this law (the treat to unsheath!), but having that option is one step in the right direction. Of course, I would require condom usage if it was feasible, but the law as currently written wouldn't need it.

Plus, this is an issue of worker safety, really. It's probably more unlikely that a worker would have an STD than a random client, so we're essentially protecting the worker by requiring him/her to be carrying a condom. It's like a hard hat on a construction site. A hard-on hat.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 11:47:22 AM »

Lesbihonest, if you're a sex worker, you are assuming the risk of catching an STD. Wink

I just feel like it's an unnecessary regulation, but maybe it's just me. If a client wants to raw dog, they will regardless of whether this law is in place, and if they want to wrap it up, they will find someone who has a condom with them.

The point of legalizing things like this is to make it more accessible, and implementing such a requirement only hinders Mike from getting it in. It doesn't make anyone safer because condoms remain an option, not a requirement, and even if you made it a requirement, no one could feasibly enforce the law unless you reorganized the whole industry and forced it indoors, in regulated buildings with security everywhere, which would never fly here.

I don't want to drive perfectly good sex workers from the industry merely for forgetting to carry a condom! I want to keep The People employed, not slam them with fines. Look at it this way: how often do you forget condoms? I always do! It's a mistake. If the client wants a condom, they can say thanks, but no thanks, I will go elsewhere. Simple as that. Think about it. Think about how simply this solution is.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2013, 12:04:44 PM »

Lesbihonest, if you're a sex worker, you are assuming the risk of catching an STD. Wink

Yes, of course! But we as a government protect citizens from risky ventures all the time. There's a relatively large negative externality to this free market transaction, and we're trying to curb it.

That bolded statement doesn't ring true to me. Remember, we provide condoms for free, so the cost of carrying one is minimal. At the same time, for it not to make anyone safer, required condom carry would have to be 100% ineffective, and I don't see that happening.

I would rather penalize sex workers for not being safe than have to deal with the consequences once they aren't. I don't think it's as simple as saying a client can just go somewhere else. To get to a point where you know the sex worker doesn't have a condom, you would have already incurred a cost: agreeing to meet, finding a mutually acceptable location, and being there. It makes the transaction time a lot lengthier when you need to replace your sex worker for lack of a condom.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2013, 12:12:53 PM »

I officially offer the amendment now.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2013, 02:44:34 PM »

I object for reasons already discussed in debate.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2013, 11:13:37 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly
Status: Objection Filed by Senator Tmthforu94, a vote can be started in almost exactly thirteen hours.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2013, 11:48:33 AM »

Matt, you can start a vote on 58:02 in thirty minutes.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies