22 Percent of Americans identify at libertarian (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:56:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  22 Percent of Americans identify at libertarian (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 22 Percent of Americans identify at libertarian  (Read 3273 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: October 29, 2013, 08:41:46 PM »
« edited: October 29, 2013, 09:17:57 PM by dead0man »

It's funny how much lefties care about this.  Oh noes, the libertarians are coming to take away our.....huh....right to....hmmmm.....
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 12:27:08 AM »

It's funny how much lefties care about this.  Oh noes, the libertarians are coming to take away our.....huh....right to....hmmmm.....

our right to
  • go out in public and not be subjected to poisonous, cancer-causing second-hand smoke
  • live in a world that tries to solve climate change
  • live without fear of the daily massacres usually committed by people who bought their guns legally
  • have the potential for universal affordable health coverage through Obamacare
  • not have our fate and fortunes be solely bound to the cruel invisible hand of capitalism
  • etc.

Granted, those are all overgeneralizations that don't apply to all libertarians, but let's not pretend like libertarians have some kind of monopoly on freedom-oriented ideas.
I never suggested they did, but thank you for shooting your points to death for me! Wink
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 11:19:50 PM »

Well, you know - little things like rights to income sufficient for one to survive,
How are libertarians going to do that?
You must be logged in to read this quote.
I could be wrong, but I don't think most libertarians are against public schools...I'm certainly not
libertarians are against free and fair elections?  cite?
same
libertarians are all for punishing people that hurt others, when you hurt the environment you hurt everybody....I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this.  Yes, of course, some libertarians are stupid when it comes to the topic, but so are some ___fill in the blank___
again, libertarians aren't against that
the hell?
something that should be left up to the employer/employee to decide...but I doubt most libertarians are against proper overtime compensation for anything over 40hrs/wk
how would libertarians stop this....plus, aren't most libertarian fear mongerers already under the assumption that there is no social mobility today?
the hell?
Do you really think a business would survive if it out and out banned black people or gays or whatever in 2013?
Well it wouldn't be the first time the "leftist perspective" was wrong and it won't be the last.

again, libertarian ≠ anarchist
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 12:05:24 AM »

@dead0man:

1. The lack of a basic income or comprehensive, universalistic welfare regime requiring a very significant amount of tax implies a livable income is a privilege each individual must successfully seek out and compete for, or otherwise do without - not a right each person has regardless of their diverse abilities or productive outputs. The economic primacy of property rights for classical liberals does not allow for such redistributive "theft" or "confiscation" from the individual.
I'm not 100% sure what you're going on about here, but I'll admit we/they are going to have to change this kind of attitude over the next half century or so.
Yeah, and like I said, most libertarians aren't against public schools, I'm certainly not.
Right, this isn't (just) a libertarian issue.
You're going to need to use smaller words for me Wink
Yes, and they should.  You can't dump your extra mercury into the stream that runs through your property, it negatively affects your neighbor when that stream runs into his property.  You can't pump arsenic into the air, it hurts everybody.  You can't hurt people without cause is a staple for all libertarians.  Yeah, some forget this for their own reasons, but certainly not all.
Isn't that how it is now?
Again, not all libertarians hate the environment.
libertarians don't have to be at loggerheads with unions.  I'm not anti-union.  Sure, I don't like what they do 90% of the time, but I certainly think they should exist, especially in skill based trades, much less so in the unskilled trades.
Right, this isn't (just) a libertarian issue.
Fair point and one I think that will become a bigger issue in the future as we need fewer and fewer workers.
yeah, that's how it is now and libertians had zilch to do with it.
Having a job isn't a right nor should it be.
Yep and funk 'em.  Did you see The Daily Show piece the other day where two actors playing gay dudes got engaged in a Waffle House in MS and then AL?  Everybody clapped.  I don't think the US is as racist/bigoted as some on your side of the aisle would like to believe.  Will some businesses exist in some hypothetical place where you can bar black dudes?  Sure.  Will they thrive, funk no.  Will people that go/work there be shamed, yeah, probably.  Even in the deep south.
I don't like the term libertarian much myself...for one, it's too long and threads like these are challenging enough, add in typing that word over and over again and it just becomes brutal Wink.  But it's all the baggage and stereotypes that follow the word that really get in my craw.  It's wrong to stereotype, everybody says that all the time, but when it comes to libertarians the left assumes everyone is exactly like the worst possible one.  It stifles debate.  I've mentioned it, nobody cares.  They just keep on using the same giant brush.  (not saying you are)
certainly not
probably not
I don't even know what that is.
probably
thank you and thank you for the calm debate on the subjects.  I'm not the best at this, I think PiT and Dibble do a much better job representing "my side" than I do, but they don't post enough.  I'm probably too aggressive and too quick to mock, but it's hard not to when what you usually get from the other side is "lol get back in the basement libertarian" as debate.

(and that's the first post I've ever tried to post that reached the character limit...I blame you Smiley )
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies