HHS in 2010: 40-67% of those with individual insurance won't be able to keep it
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:09:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  HHS in 2010: 40-67% of those with individual insurance won't be able to keep it
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Author Topic: HHS in 2010: 40-67% of those with individual insurance won't be able to keep it  (Read 7451 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: November 20, 2013, 04:57:46 PM »

Who here gets $125/month worth of "gifts" from their parents?

If I was making $100K I would not get a $350K mortgage.  My parents made a heck of a lot more than $100K and their mortgage was not even half that size.  Live within your means.

The food stamp moochers get more than that per month gifted to them, tax free, because they don't want to live within their means. How amusing!
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #151 on: November 20, 2013, 05:50:10 PM »

I think what is missing the most from the budget I provided is child care.  The women in question seems to have a child that needs medical care so I am not sure about the age of the child but baby sitters can be very espensive and she has to work to make the $60K.  So I think her budget can be very tight if her housing is expensive (this is Washington State so I can see that), if her real estate taxes are high (my impression is that Washington State is not that bad), and if her child care expense are high (I suspect this is the one which makes it hard for her to pay more for health insurance.)
Link
« Reply #152 on: November 20, 2013, 06:00:14 PM »

That is the most ridiculous budget most of us have ever seen.  If these people want to live in a half million dollar home on a $100K salary they deserve any @$$ reaming that comes their way.

Look man this isn't theoretical.  I had a roommate last year and our combine income was comfortably over $100K.  We did not live in a house.  We rented a basic two bedroom apartment.  We didn't have a $125/month "gift" budget.  And neither of us was married or had children.  You can choose to have a child.  You can choose to hand out $125 worth of gifts a month and you can choose to have an excessive cable bill.  We are all just wondering what in the world that has to do with the president?  The man is busy.  You mean to say you can't sort that situation out yourself?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #153 on: November 20, 2013, 09:37:12 PM »

That is the most ridiculous budget most of us have ever seen.  If these people want to live in a half million dollar home on a $100K salary they deserve any @$$ reaming that comes their way.

Look man this isn't theoretical.  I had a roommate last year and our combine income was comfortably over $100K.  We did not live in a house.  We rented a basic two bedroom apartment.  We didn't have a $125/month "gift" budget.  And neither of us was married or had children.  You can choose to have a child.  You can choose to hand out $125 worth of gifts a month and you can choose to have an excessive cable bill.  We are all just wondering what in the world that has to do with the president?  The man is busy.  You mean to say you can't sort that situation out yourself?

QFT.

One car, a cheaper house, and spending less than $625/month on entertainment and gifts makes the problem go away pretty quick.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #154 on: November 20, 2013, 10:37:29 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2013, 08:28:29 AM by jaichind »

The same blog has a $46K budget

http://www.mybudget360.com/the-perfect-46000-budget-learning-to-live-in-california-for-under-50000/

Again this is in a high price area and is for a single person.  This has no health insurance and no child care costs.  So in that sense it is an underestimate.  On the other hand an extra dependent would mean less taxes although not enough to make up for the child care costs.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #155 on: November 20, 2013, 10:50:14 PM »

Yeah that does seem more reasonable. The rent appears high, but I'm not familiar with suburban California rents
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #156 on: November 21, 2013, 10:37:22 AM »

What now?  Houses cost a lot in places where high incomes are available.  $100,000/year is an unusually high income, and not redily available in cheap places like Missouri, where the houses cost less.  In economically vibrant states $500,000 is a cheap house.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #157 on: November 21, 2013, 11:40:49 AM »

A large percentage of these people who have the low premium plans are going to be too poor to qualify for subsidies. Many will go on Medicare, unlikely to be better than what they have now, and won't help at all with making prices more competitive.

?

Medicaid (not Medicare) is going to be a lot better than some awful $10,000 deductible plan with high copays, not to mention it should have a bigger network.

Even better, those are the exact people who need to be OFF of $10,000 deductible plans.  I personally wouldn't have a problem with a rich person having a $10,000 deductible, but no one should be allowed to have a deductible they can't potentially afford.

Exactly. Selling such a plan should be illegal.
Link
« Reply #158 on: November 21, 2013, 12:00:59 PM »

What now?  Houses cost a lot in places where high incomes are available.  $100,000/year is an unusually high income, and not redily available in cheap places like Missouri, where the houses cost less.  In economically vibrant states $500,000 is a cheap house.

There are plenty of doctors, lawyers, computer programers, accountants, etc who live in dual income households and make $100,000.

The reason Texas is so hot is there is plenty of cheap land and oil.  If you have an education you can easily make $100,000 in Texas.  Heck it is easier in Texas than NYC because NYC is full of professionals all competing.  You can get a sweet 3 bedroom 3.5 bath 2 car garage close to downtown Houston for around $300K.  If you drop $500K you are living a totally pimped out lifestyle.  If you are willing to do the park and ride thing in those Texas cities you can live in the 'burbs and get a nice place for around $200K.

I've lived in high cost places and low cost places.  My pay went up for certain jobs in high cost places but by and large having a solid job in a low cost place is the way to go.  A lot of people could move and get a better budget but they want to live a certain lifestyle.  Well fine.  But the government shouldn't have to make allowances for that.  That's why when people say I left California because it was too expensive I say good.  That's what is supposed to happen.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #159 on: November 21, 2013, 03:44:04 PM »

Yeah.  There's the catch.  Always the catch.  Median income is very low, Link.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #160 on: November 22, 2013, 10:43:11 PM »

Who here gets $125/month worth of "gifts" from their parents?

If I was making $100K I would not get a $350K mortgage.  My parents made a heck of a lot more than $100K and their mortgage was not even half that size.  Live within your means.

The food stamp moochers get more than that per month gifted to them, tax free, because they don't want to live within their means. How amusing!

It appears you have a decided lack of knowledge of what "their means" are.

Why do you insist on calling the many fully employed people on food stamps "lazy"?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies