I think I found the worst place in America.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:35:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  I think I found the worst place in America.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Did I?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: I think I found the worst place in America.  (Read 3495 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 11:21:40 AM »

The fact that there's an Apple Store there, but not in Brooklyn is still quite perplexing.

Why is that surprising? Although it is surprising that Brooklyn doesn't have one, it is not surprising that a rich city would have one. Everyone there probably has an iPhone.

Rich people usually don't shop in their own cities, but the middle class suburbs nearby. Those are the type of places where malls tend to be after all.

It just depends where the mall is located and Southlake has an upscale shopping center. And it seems like the city is more upper middle class/rich as opposed to exclusively rich.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2013, 11:49:18 AM »
« Edited: October 31, 2013, 11:55:37 AM by Torie »

LA (Homby Hills, Bel Air, parts of Beverly Hills, Brentwood and Pacific Palisades, some of Sunset Park above Sunset Blvd above West Hollywood, Hancock Park, San Marino, parts of Pasadena and La Canada-Flintridge) has quite a huge swath of these kinds of hoods (excluding beach houses, which while hideously expensive, are less grandiose), but they have the mitigating element of the patina of age and history, and the presentations in general tend to be more tasteful (but going downhill now, as mansions are torn down to build something even more ostentatious). The AC bills in those homes in Texas must be horrific I might note.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 12:03:57 PM »

That's a reasonable set of points, but I think the issue is slightly different: why is it that a country can have somewhere like that ghastly mansion district in every major metropolitan area, but still also have real slums?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2013, 12:05:29 PM »

Nouveau riche people are horrible and have no taste whatsoever. Those houses being case in point.

Old money has no - or at least very little - taste either.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2013, 12:07:03 PM »

The house architecture is actually decent...

On the contrary. Architecturally they are disasters.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2013, 12:15:53 PM »

What a mess. It's like a Garden City on steroids.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2013, 12:23:55 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2013, 03:52:03 PM by SLValleyMan »

No. Centralia, PA and Niagara Falls, NY are far worse, just to name a couple. When you live in a country that contains places as neglected as this:

...you can't be surprised that so many people aspire to live in places like Southlake, TX

To that list, add Camden, New Jersey, which has been in a continuous state of decay for decades:

And Picher, Oklahoma (virtually abandoned due to the town's mining operation contaminating the area.)

Both objectively worse places to live than some McMansion subdivision.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »

How would you compare somewhere like Southlake to Scarsdale? It seems on here that Scarsdale wouldn't yield the horrors that Southlake does.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2013, 05:14:31 PM »

LA (Homby Hills, Bel Air, parts of Beverly Hills, Brentwood and Pacific Palisades, some of Sunset Park above Sunset Blvd above West Hollywood, Hancock Park, San Marino, parts of Pasadena and La Canada-Flintridge) has quite a huge swath of these kinds of hoods (excluding beach houses, which while hideously expensive, are less grandiose), but they have the mitigating element of the patina of age and history, and the presentations in general tend to be more tasteful (but going downhill now, as mansions are torn down to build something even more ostentatious). The AC bills in those homes in Texas must be horrific I might note.

They are. My parents' house runs up electricity bills that have reached $1,000 a month in the summer at times.

Part of the problem is that people in Houston want to forget that they live in such an oppressively hot place by building houses with steeply pitched roofs and dark brick exteriors that look like something more appropriate to New England or the Upper Midwest. The result is a lot of heat being attracted to the house and rising up into the attics.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2013, 11:21:12 AM »

The worst place in America is obviously Colorado City, AZ.  I mean, duh.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2013, 12:07:48 PM »

Southlake, Texas is notable only insofar as it contains Carroll Senior High School, home of the most important high school football team in the country.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2013, 03:41:59 PM »

I would never live there, but the liberal disdain for people who are successful is fascinating.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2013, 05:43:44 PM »

liberal disdain for people who are successful

What does this even mean?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2013, 11:07:21 PM »

disdain pretty much means lack of respect or not worth respect.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2013, 04:56:01 PM »

I would never live there, but the liberal disdain for people who are successful is fascinating.

When I was growing up, I went to school with a girl whose mother did interior decorating and home staging for the high end homes in the part of town where we lived. She once told us that one of the repeated requests she had was for fake books for libraries and studies. As in, she would special order what essentially amounted to cardboard boxes with what looked like the spines of leatherbound books glued on one side. She would place these on the shelves and arrange them so that it looked like the shelves were full of books. Every now and then someone would demand more authenticity and she would buy actual leatherbound books from used bookstores (no one ever cared what kind of books they were as long as the size and color was aesthetically pleasing).

From her account, it was rare for there to be very many books in these houses; the only ones she ever saw were "beach trash" of the sort written by Danielle Steele (read by the wife), Bibles and related Christian motivational books, or some really useless business book of the sort you buy at Franklin Covey. In other words, people who actually have the time and the resources to obtain and acquire knowledge and culture make a conscious decision not to do so. We've gone from the historical norm when the wealthy were not merely expected but, to a certain extent, heavily obliged to consume or even produce literature, art and science, to one where people would rather spend $5,000 on a flat-screen TV to hang above their fireplace rather than some sort of artwork and where they spend their vacations sitting on beaches doing absolutely nothing rather than visiting museums and historical sites in Europe and Asia.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies