Senate Dems now unanimous on ENDA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:57:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senate Dems now unanimous on ENDA
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Senate Dems now unanimous on ENDA  (Read 3121 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2013, 08:23:34 PM »

This is good to hear and I commend the Republican senators who are taking a brave vote, but does anybody know if this bill applies to only the private sector or also the public sector?

Yes, this would make it illegal to discriminate in hiring gay people in the private sector like it already is in a number of more "modern" states.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2013, 03:17:45 AM »

Hopefully this doesn't make it to the floor, no need to make Democrats in conservative states make a tough vote.

Most Democrats in conservative states support this.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2013, 10:34:13 AM »

Holy *bleep* even Pat Toomey's for it.  http://blogs.philadelphiaweekly.com/phillynow/2013/11/05/pat-toomey-helps-lgbt-workplace-nondiscrimination-clear-hurdle/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=pat-toomey-helps-lgbt-workplace-nondiscrimination-clear-hurdle
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2013, 11:28:30 AM »

Hopefully this doesn't make it to the floor, no need to make Democrats in conservative states make a tough vote.

Again, this isn't a tough vote in 2013. Maybe in 2003 or even 2009, but not in 2013. Social attitudes have changed hugely in the last 5-10 years.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2013, 11:38:30 AM »

Again, this isn't a tough vote in 2013. Maybe in 2003 or even 2009, but not in 2013. Social attitudes have changed hugely in the last 5-10 years.

Worth pointing out that a flat-out majority of Americans think that something like ENDA is already the law of the land.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2013, 11:40:56 AM »

Worth pointing out that a flat-out majority of Americans think that something like ENDA is already the law of the land.

Probably because so many workplaces already have rules for this stuff in place.
Marnetmar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -8.24

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2013, 09:54:45 PM »

Hatch's support definitely comes as a surprise to me.

Not really, he backed civil union this year!

I've always liked Hatch, I disagree with him on most issues but he's a genuinely principled guy.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2013, 04:31:31 PM »

It passed, 64-32.
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=113&session=1&vote=00232

I was a little surprised by McCain's vote for it only because of some comments he made last week, but those may have been taken out of context.  Toomey and Flake were surprising as well even though they both supported ending DADT - Burr on the other hand voted against.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2013, 04:41:32 PM »

It passed, 64-32.
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=113&session=1&vote=00232

I was a little surprised by McCain's vote for it only because of some comments he made last week, but those may have been taken out of context.  Toomey and Flake were surprising as well even though they both supported ending DADT - Burr on the other hand voted against.

I wonder why Casey was absent?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2013, 05:41:46 PM »

I wonder what insincere, lawyerly excuse Torie will raise to this example of Republican evildoing.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2013, 05:47:03 PM »

It passed, 64-32.

Casey is a co-sponsor. He issued statement in support. His wife was having surgery.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2013, 06:58:46 PM »

It passed, 64-32.

Casey is a co-sponsor. He issued statement in support. His wife was having surgery.

Ok thanks. Clearly their whip count was perfect or they might have had to wait for him.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2013, 10:56:12 PM »

Proud of the Republicans in both my states for supporting this. Good to see they'll be on the right side of history.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2013, 11:36:18 PM »

I wonder what insincere, lawyerly excuse Torie will raise to this example of Republican evildoing.

Lawmakers being lawyerly?!  What in the world is happening?!
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2013, 06:16:41 PM »

Polis says that enough House Republicans privately support it that it would pass the House.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies