Should the Washington Redskins change their name?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 01:00:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should the Washington Redskins change their name?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Poll
Question: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?
Yes
No
No Opinion
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?  (Read 23558 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: June 02, 2014, 04:57:02 PM »

Have you paid attention lately at all? The Redskins say the name isn't offensive and they won't change. The NFL says the name isn't offensive and they won't change.

If/when the Redskins finally do change their name one day, it will either be because some kind of government forced them to (pretty unlikely) or that the financials simply left them no choice -- it's very obvious from all of the team/league's comments over the last few days/weeks/month/years/decades that they absolutely do not want to and won't do it unless forced.

Obviously companies make poor decisions all the time. (Did you seriously think I was arguing they don't?) But the odds of the Redskins willingly changing their name without being forced to by the market are virtually nil.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #126 on: June 03, 2014, 06:01:22 PM »

Warriors would be pretty good actually. That was what the local high school on the Reservation where I initially grew up called their sports teams.

I didn't know you grew up on a rez. Are you part Native Am?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #127 on: June 03, 2014, 06:06:15 PM »

Warriors would be pretty good actually. That was what the local high school on the Reservation where I initially grew up called their sports teams.

I didn't know you grew up on a rez. Are you part Native Am?

No. My dad worked there as a teacher.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #128 on: June 18, 2014, 06:44:58 PM »

News breaking today from our friends at the trademark office.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-patent-office-finds-redskins-name-offensive-210214936--finance.html?.tsrc=o2de
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #129 on: June 19, 2014, 05:49:20 AM »

This will be overturned like it was last time.  It also guarantees Snyder will never change it.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #130 on: June 19, 2014, 09:40:55 AM »

Regardless of whether they should or should not change it, yes, the decision should be overturned. It overreaches, and to me, there is too fine a line here. To me, the Cleveland Indians and their logo is worse, but I can't separate "Fighting Irish" and their logo, Yankees, WVU Mountaineers, and the Seminoles and their spear logo concept - as well as others - from this. I don't think the Patent Office took into consideration the NFL's argument (that it's not being used offensively), and I don't think the Patent Office should be arbitrarily making decisions like this.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #131 on: June 19, 2014, 10:54:50 AM »

Denying a trademark registration on the basis of it being "derogatory" seems like a potential infringement on freedom of speech.  At the very least, the onus on those seeking to have the registration cancelled needs to be to show that the harm caused by it goes beyond hurt feelings.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #132 on: June 19, 2014, 11:02:26 AM »

This will be overturned like it was last time.  It also guarantees Snyder will never change it.

I suspect you're right on the former point, George, but question the latter. Maybe, just maybe, this'll be the fig leaf needed for the team to just start moving to change the name "to avoid legal fees and uncertainty" or the like?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #133 on: June 19, 2014, 11:06:32 AM »

I suspect you're right on the former point, George, but question the latter. Maybe, just maybe, this'll be the fig leaf needed for the team to just start moving to change the name "to avoid legal fees and uncertainty" or the like?

Probably not. While the loss of registration will make going after those who infringe upon it more difficult as they'll only be subject to civil rather than criminal penalties, it can still be done.  Plus if they make certain that all of their licensed products also have the NFL logo on them somewhere, those criminal penalties would still apply to any otherwise indistinguishable knockoffs.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #134 on: June 19, 2014, 11:14:04 AM »

Probably not. While the loss of registration will make going after those who infringe upon it more difficult as they'll only be subject to civil rather than criminal penalties, it can still be done.  Plus if they make certain that all of their licensed products also have the NFL logo on them somewhere, those criminal penalties would still apply to any otherwise indistinguishable knockoffs.

But wouldn't any knockoff that simply avoids also using the NFL logo thus escape criminal prosecution (asks the prosecutor who can barely spell "patent law")?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #135 on: June 19, 2014, 11:35:17 AM »

But wouldn't any knockoff that simply avoids also using the NFL logo thus escape criminal prosecution (asks the prosecutor who can barely spell "patent law")?

Perhaps, but Badg, Snyder will spew his own money now on legal fees just to make a point, and I don't think he cares how much it costs to make his point.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #136 on: June 19, 2014, 11:46:21 AM »

Perhaps, but Badg, Snyder will spew his own money now on legal fees just to make a point, and I don't think he cares how much it costs to make his point.

You know Snyder's MO better than I. If so, that's disappointing.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #137 on: June 19, 2014, 01:40:42 PM »
« Edited: June 19, 2014, 01:48:06 PM by traininthedistance »

Regardless of whether they should or should not change it, yes, the decision should be overturned. It overreaches, and to me, there is too fine a line here. To me, the Cleveland Indians and their logo is worse, but I can't separate "Fighting Irish" and their logo, Yankees, WVU Mountaineers, and the Seminoles and their spear logo concept - as well as others - from this. I don't think the Patent Office took into consideration the NFL's argument (that it's not being used offensively), and I don't think the Patent Office should be arbitrarily making decisions like this.

It continually surprises me how someone as smart as you really can't (or doesn't want to) see the MASSIVE difference in scale and offensiveness between "R**skins" and all those other examples.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #138 on: June 19, 2014, 01:44:07 PM »

Yes, tho they still would be subject to civil prosecution.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #139 on: June 19, 2014, 01:45:44 PM »

To keep with this weeks theme, why not the Washington Foreskins?
NHLiberal

« Reply #140 on: June 19, 2014, 04:03:33 PM »

You could care less? So you care then?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #141 on: June 19, 2014, 04:18:45 PM »

How long until the SJW's start demanding we change the capitals name since the name Washington is also offensive to minorities.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #142 on: June 19, 2014, 05:14:47 PM »

I certainly don't want to offend anyone, and I don't support bigotry against Native Americans or anyone else, but I see no need to change the name.  The Redskins are such an iconic team that changing the name now would be pointless.

Plus, the Cleveland Indians have a logo that's a thousand times more offensive than the Redskins'.  Instead of just depicting a Native American, it actually makes them look stupid.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #143 on: June 19, 2014, 06:03:25 PM »

How long until the SJW's start demanding we change the capitals name since the name Washington is also offensive to minorities.

United Empire Loyalists are unfortunately neglected by SJWs.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #144 on: June 19, 2014, 06:47:00 PM »

How so?
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #145 on: June 19, 2014, 06:49:02 PM »

If anything it's the DC part that's offensive to minorities. Colombia. The capital is named after Christopher Columbus, a far more offensive name.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #146 on: June 19, 2014, 06:52:01 PM »

To keep with this weeks theme, why not the Washington Foreskins?

If there's anything WASPs hate more than Redskins...
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #147 on: June 19, 2014, 08:44:01 PM »

If Native Americans want the name changed, then why not change it? Why be a dick about it? Can someone here who doesn't support the name change explain why.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #148 on: June 19, 2014, 10:19:13 PM »

To me, the Cleveland Indians and their logo is worse, but I can't separate "Fighting Irish" and their logo, Yankees, WVU Mountaineers, and the Seminoles and their spear logo concept - as well as others - from this.

I think you can, though, because "redskin" is an actual racist word.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #149 on: June 19, 2014, 10:49:54 PM »

If anything it's the DC part that's offensive to minorities. Colombia. The capital is named after Christopher Columbus, a far more offensive name.

actually the name of Colombia's capital district is of Muisca derivation. Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies