Should the Washington Redskins change their name?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:25:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should the Washington Redskins change their name?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9
Poll
Question: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?
Yes
No
No Opinion
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?  (Read 23469 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: June 20, 2014, 08:18:32 AM »

What about the Minnesota Vikings?  Their name and logo could be construed as offensive to Scandinavians.

EDIT: What about the Kansas City Chiefs, for that matter?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #151 on: June 20, 2014, 08:39:48 AM »

What about the Minnesota Vikings?  Their name and logo could be construed as offensive to Scandinavians.

The difference between the Vikings and the Celtics on the one hand, and the Redskins on the other, is that the Vikings and Celtics are home teams of large Scandinavian and Irish communities, so were chosen to represent those communities with pride.

In the case of the Redskins, it was plucking a completely different nation's identity, choosing an offensive term, and using it as a mascot.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's problematic as well.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #152 on: June 20, 2014, 09:19:11 AM »

Ok, you people keep bringing up random ethnically named team names but none are an actual slur. Braves or Indians (though that logo is even more racist than the name redskins) is not a racist slur. Fighting Irish is not an ethnic slur. Vikings especially is not an ethnic slur.

So perhaps the real question is, do you guys not think "redskins" is a racist slur on par with calling an Asian person "yellow" or even the N word? That is what separates this name from the others.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #153 on: June 20, 2014, 10:00:33 AM »

Sbane, I agree there's a difference between an ethnic slur and terms like Braves and Chiefs, and Redskins is undoubtedly worse, but there's still something creepy and inconsiderate about commandeering Native American identity for sports teams given the history of the country. It reminds me a lot of that creepy Amsterdam football team whose fans call them the Jews, and whose opponents pick it up and make hissing sounds to suggest gassing the Jews. It's similar because 80% of the Jews in the Netherlands were killed in WWII, so all you have left is a crude mascot/stereotype, the real people are gone.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #154 on: June 20, 2014, 10:08:10 AM »

So perhaps the real question is, do you guys not think "redskins" is a racist slur on par with calling an Asian person "yellow" or even the N word? That is what separates this name from the others.

No. I think it's been the name of a football team since 1932, and a team who has seen some of the finest in the game pass through their facilities thoughout the years,  nothing more.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #155 on: June 20, 2014, 10:18:33 AM »

Oh noes. I shouldn't use the r-word. What a great injustice to me. Rabble rabble. Haaaaaaaarrrrrummmph.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #156 on: June 20, 2014, 11:44:06 AM »
« Edited: June 20, 2014, 11:49:25 AM by Paul Kemp »

I really couldn't care less if they change the name or not but it's pretty silly not to see why some may be offended by the term and what the reasoning is behind wanting the name changed. Not that I think something being offensive is grounds to change that something but it's important to look at it in context. Trying to compare other teams names to the term "redskins" is pretty silly because there is no other name off the top of my head that is comparable. Certainly not "chiefs" or "vikings."

Also, media outlet or personalities refusing to call the team by its name while it is still the name of the team is self-righteous nonsense.

I guess I'm kinda Moderate Hero on this issue.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #157 on: June 20, 2014, 12:17:57 PM »

No. I think it's been the name of a football team since 1932, and a team who has seen some of the finest in the game pass through their facilities thoughout the years,  nothing more.

Their football tradition won't end by a long-overdue name change. If anything, the name taints that tradition.

If they'd been founded in 32 as the Washington N*****s (or some other equally racist ethnic slur), their 80+ years of many great players wouldn't warrant keeping the name a day longer.

The only difference is there are relatively few Native Americans in DC or nationally who can bring sufficient political or economic clout to bare.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #158 on: June 20, 2014, 12:32:14 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2014, 12:34:58 PM by Sbane »

I am not saying that the organization itself is using it as a slur, or even used it to offend Native Americans in 1932 (many wouldn't have found the n-word offensive back then either). Still, you don't deny that this is a slur that was used against Native Americans in the past, do you?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #159 on: June 20, 2014, 01:03:32 PM »

I am not saying that the organization itself is using it as a slur, or even used it to offend Native Americans in 1932 (many wouldn't have found the n-word offensive back then either). Still, you don't deny that this is a slur that was used against Native Americans in the past, do you?

I can stipulate to that, but I don't see it as being on the same scale of "n" like some have stated.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #160 on: June 20, 2014, 01:13:21 PM »

I can stipulate to that, but I don't see it as being on the same scale of "n" like some have stated.
On that we firmly disagree.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #161 on: June 20, 2014, 01:15:50 PM »

I think of Redskins as roughly the equivalent of "darkies", which of course would be a no-go.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #162 on: June 20, 2014, 06:41:10 PM »

Their football tradition won't end by a long-overdue name change. If anything, the name taints that tradition.

If they'd been founded in 32 as the Washington N*****s (or some other equally racist ethnic slur), their 80+ years of many great players wouldn't warrant keeping the name a day longer.

The only difference is there are relatively few Native Americans in DC or nationally who can bring sufficient political or economic clout to bare.

Here are some other suggestions:

The Dallas Dagoes
The Denver Kikes
The Mighty Micks of Minneapolis

How'd you like them apples, whitey?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #163 on: June 20, 2014, 07:28:01 PM »

Here are some other suggestions:

The Dallas Dagoes
The Denver Kikes
The Mighty Micks of Minneapolis

How'd you like them apples, whitey?

CountryClassSF

« Reply #164 on: June 21, 2014, 02:12:14 AM »

Why the leftist outrage on steroids over this all of a sudden? The team has been around for ages.

We can change the team name to the "Washington Tea Party."
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #165 on: June 21, 2014, 02:28:55 AM »

Why the leftist outrage on steroids over this all of a sudden? The team has been around for ages.

My understanding is that American Indians have been unhappy about it for a while now, and leftists and liberals of other races are just now starting to notice. That, and there's been some recent legal goings-on about whether it's possible to keep trademarked.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

But that makes no sense. That would make sense if the team were in Boston.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #166 on: June 21, 2014, 02:43:25 AM »

Perhaps the team could move back to Boston.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #167 on: June 21, 2014, 11:48:55 AM »
« Edited: June 21, 2014, 11:50:42 AM by Reaganfan »

Because it never stops for them. 10 years from now they'll be called conservatives backwards for not wanting public nudity.

These people need to be stopped because if they go too far, they'll begin hurting our country and those who hurt our country get punished.

I don't take these people seriously because they're cowards. They spew hatred even more than the worst on the right, and yet what would they fight with? Granola? They're harmless but their rhetoric is dangerous.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #168 on: June 21, 2014, 11:51:12 AM »

Because it never stops for them. 10 years from now they'll be called conservatives backwards for not wanting public nudity.

These people need to be stopped because if they go too far, they'll begin hurting our country and those who hurt our country get punished.

I don't take these people seriously because they're cowards. They spew hatred even more than the worst on the right, and yet what would they fight with? Granola? They're harmless but their rhetoric is dangerous.
LOL! Good old Reaganfan the gift that keeps on giving.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #169 on: June 21, 2014, 11:53:52 AM »

LOL! Good old Reaganfan the gift that keeps on giving.

I'm tired of liberals wanting to punish many to please a select few.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #170 on: June 21, 2014, 11:56:27 AM »

How does it punish you to rename a football team?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #171 on: June 21, 2014, 11:58:36 AM »

Because it would be giving into the politically correct lovers.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #172 on: June 21, 2014, 12:00:27 PM »

So if Donald Sterling tried to change the name of the Clippers to the N*ggers that would be o.k. because it's anti pc. gotcha.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #173 on: June 21, 2014, 12:05:00 PM »

So if Donald Sterling tried to change the name of the Clippers to the N*ggers that would be o.k. because it's anti pc. gotcha.

I think there's the line you don't cross, obviously. Redskins isn't nearly as offensive as the 'N' word.

I think once you begin crossing the line though, you do more harm than good. I don't want a child to grow up 20 years from now in a world reading about how the most free country in the world is just like Europe because we changed what made us unique to please a select few.

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #174 on: June 21, 2014, 12:06:24 PM »

I think there's the line you don't cross, obviously. Redskins isn't nearly as offensive as the 'N' word.

I think once you begin crossing the line though, you do more harm than good. I don't want a child to grow up 20 years from now in a world reading about how the most free country in the world is just like Europe because we changed what made us unique to please a select few.

What's wrong with Europe? Most of the Western European/Scandinavian countries have higher standards of living and higher levels of happiness than we do.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies