Should the Washington Redskins change their name?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:23:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should the Washington Redskins change their name?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9
Poll
Question: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?
Yes
No
No Opinion
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?  (Read 23464 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: June 21, 2014, 12:08:30 PM »

Why the leftist outrage on steroids over this all of a sudden? The team has been around for ages.

We can change the team name to the "Washington Tea Party."

Because it never stops for them. 10 years from now they'll be called conservatives backwards for not wanting public nudity.

These people need to be stopped because if they go too far, they'll begin hurting our country and those who hurt our country get punished.

I don't take these people seriously because they're cowards. They spew hatred even more than the worst on the right, and yet what would they fight with? Granola? They're harmless but their rhetoric is dangerous.
LOL! Good old Reaganfan the gift that keeps on giving.

I'm tired of liberals wanting to punish many to please a select few.

As usual, Naso, your posts makes one want to wish you well in recovering from your traumatic head injury, and that you'll soon be on the road to speach without drooling and eating with a knife and fork.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #176 on: June 21, 2014, 12:09:58 PM »

How does it punish you to rename a football team?

Because it would be giving into the politically correct lovers.

Show me on the doll where political correctness touched you.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #177 on: June 21, 2014, 12:10:18 PM »

So if Donald Sterling tried to change the name of the Clippers to the N*ggers that would be o.k. because it's anti pc. gotcha.

I think there's the line you don't cross, obviously. Redskins isn't nearly as offensive as the 'N' word.

I think once you begin crossing the line though, you do more harm than good. I don't want a child to grow up 20 years from now in a world reading about how the most free country in the world is just like Europe because we changed what made us unique to please a select few.

But the term redskin IS as offensive to the targets of the slur as the term n*gger is.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #178 on: June 21, 2014, 12:11:28 PM »

"Politically correct" here of course means "not being a dick"
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #179 on: June 21, 2014, 12:12:58 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2014, 12:24:31 PM by Emperor Scott »

Why the leftist outrage on steroids over this all of a sudden? The team has been around for ages.

Because it never stops for them. 10 years from now they'll be called conservatives backwards for not wanting public nudity.

These people need to be stopped because if they go too far, they'll begin hurting our country and those who hurt our country get punished.

I don't take these people seriously because they're cowards. They spew hatred even more than the worst on the right, and yet what would they fight with? Granola? They're harmless but their rhetoric is dangerous.

And just how exactly are you being "punished?"  Having to spend all that money on new souvenirs?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #180 on: June 21, 2014, 12:14:28 PM »

And just how exactly are you being "punished?"  Having to spend all that money on new souvenir?
That's not being punished, that's being rewarded. If the redskins change their name, all of your old redskins souvenirs would suddenly become valuable collectables
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #181 on: June 21, 2014, 12:17:54 PM »

So if Donald Sterling tried to change the name of the Clippers to the N*ggers that would be o.k. because it's anti pc. gotcha.

I think there's the line you don't cross, obviously. Redskins isn't nearly as offensive as the 'N' word.

I think once you begin crossing the line though, you do more harm than good. I don't want a child to grow up 20 years from now in a world reading about how the most free country in the world is just like Europe because we changed what made us unique to please a select few.

What's wrong with Europe? Most of the Western European/Scandinavian countries have higher standards of living and higher levels of happiness than we do.

Harry I know about the whole standards of living, but it comes at the cost of freedom. See maybe our differing political views just don't jive with our views on what we consider freedom.

I believe in majority rules, in free trade, free enterprise, freedom of speech. What always made the United States a great country was that we were the opposite of the rest of the world.

While Hitler banned smoking and created vast totalitarian order in Europe, Americans were smoking cigarettes and drinkin' Tennessee whiskey.

While the Japanese and Germans had brutal concentration or death camps, the camp we had for Japanese Americans didn't include sick torture, abuse or extermination.

An Axis war leader once said, "I'd never want to invade the United States, because there would be a gun in the back of every soldier." The Jews didn't have weapons. Resistance groups failed. America was FOUNDED on a resistance victory against Britain.

We got rid of Europe here a long time ago for the specific purpose of not being Europe. Dare I say, that most Americans, even our leaders in the 1940s, thought more like ME than like you. By thinking like me, we won.

What if our WWII leaders thought like you? I don't believe victory could have been assured. That is why I'm such a pain in the butt about being against liberalism. I think it threatens us.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #182 on: June 21, 2014, 12:18:19 PM »

And just how exactly are you being "punished?"  Having to spend all that money on new souvenir?
That's not being punished, that's being rewarded. If the redskins change their name, all of your old redskins souvenirs would suddenly become valuable collectables
Also, the new merchandise would sell quickly, because hats, jackets, jerseys, etc need to be changed. That being said, in a free market, no company should be told what their name can and cannot be. There is no copyright on the term "Redskin", only SJW pearl clutching.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #183 on: June 21, 2014, 12:21:29 PM »

While the Japanese and Germans had brutal concentration or death camps, the camp we had for Japanese Americans didn't include sick torture, abuse or extermination.

Yeah, I can see the tourism brochure now.

"Come to America!  Our camps are better than Germany's!"
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #184 on: June 21, 2014, 12:42:11 PM »

Yeah, I can see the tourism brochure now.

"Come to America!  Our camps are better than Germany's!"
I am sure all of those Japanese Americans were very grateful to be herded into those camps, must have been like a holiday.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #185 on: June 21, 2014, 01:00:51 PM »

I admit there’s something about these team names/mascots/traditions that appeals to my sense of understanding what shaped Americans.  I mean Braves fans do a fing tomahawk chant right in the heart of what used to be Cherokee nation.  Is there a more visceral expression of our imperial character than stuff like that?  Yes, maybe it’s ugly, definitely offensive, but it’s a part of who we were/are.  That said maybe it’s time to move on.  

Atleast an opinion I could respect. Thank you Aruca.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #186 on: June 21, 2014, 01:05:56 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2014, 01:11:18 PM by Beet »

They should change it because it's ugly, not because it's offensive (although that, too). I mean "Red skins"? Seriously? At least the Braves was the name for a warrior and the Cherokee was an actual tribe. Red skins doesn't mean anything other than a literal skin color. And "Burgundy and gold" are pretty words, but the colors are hideous. It doesn't look good in fashion, it wouldn't look good in a house or a car, it just doesn't look good, period. The logo as well. If they change the name I hope they get rid of the colors as well.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #187 on: June 21, 2014, 01:40:36 PM »

Naso succinctly points out that he has no reason to care and his interest is literally entirely based in spite. I wish everyone could be honest like him.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #188 on: June 21, 2014, 01:48:06 PM »

What's wrong with Europe? Most of the Western European/Scandinavian countries have higher standards of living and higher levels of happiness than we do.

Top 5 Countries in the Human Development Index:

1 Monaco   0.956
2 Norway   0.955
3 Australia 0.938
4 United States 0.937
5 Netherlands 0.921

This is factually unsupported, however. The US isn't horridly underdeveloped compared to Europe. This is an idea that needs to be discarded.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #189 on: June 21, 2014, 01:58:26 PM »

I don't think the Redskins should be forced to change their name, but the name is clearly in really bad taste and should have been changed years ago.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #190 on: June 21, 2014, 04:29:38 PM »

But the term redskin IS as offensive to the targets of the slur as the term n*gger is.

Actually, no.  While there are indeed portions of the Native American community who do see redskin as offensive as African Americans see n, there are others who accept its use or even stand behind being able to use it for their own teams.  So I don't see the situation as being to the point where legal obstacles to the use of the term are warranted.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #191 on: June 21, 2014, 04:56:09 PM »

Why does it seem like only white liberals are screaming about this issue? As far as I know, Native Americans as a whole don't seem too concerned, and polls seem to back it up.

Why is Harry Reid focusing so much on this? There has to be political motivation.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #192 on: June 21, 2014, 05:01:12 PM »

166 votes in this poll. Is that a record for non-'Ban Opebo' poll?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #193 on: June 21, 2014, 09:01:45 PM »

What about the Minnesota Vikings?  Their name and logo could be construed as offensive to Scandinavians.

The difference between the Vikings and the Celtics on the one hand, and the Redskins on the other, is that the Vikings and Celtics are home teams of large Scandinavian and Irish communities, so were chosen to represent those communities with pride.

In the case of the Redskins, it was plucking a completely different nation's identity, choosing an offensive term, and using it as a mascot.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's problematic as well.
So Native Americans are a different nation from other Americans?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #194 on: June 21, 2014, 09:30:18 PM »

What about the Minnesota Vikings?  Their name and logo could be construed as offensive to Scandinavians.

The difference between the Vikings and the Celtics on the one hand, and the Redskins on the other, is that the Vikings and Celtics are home teams of large Scandinavian and Irish communities, so were chosen to represent those communities with pride.

In the case of the Redskins, it was plucking a completely different nation's identity, choosing an offensive term, and using it as a mascot.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's problematic as well.
So Native Americans are a different nation from other Americans?

That is what they call themselves - Seneca Nation, Cherokee Nation, etc.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #195 on: June 21, 2014, 10:26:38 PM »

Actually, no.  While there are indeed portions of the Native American community who do see redskin as offensive as African Americans see n, there are others who accept its use or even stand behind being able to use it for their own teams.  So I don't see the situation as being to the point where legal obstacles to the use of the term are warranted.

I forgot people like Eazy-E and other rappers use the term n*gger so it's perfectly o.k. 
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #196 on: June 21, 2014, 11:29:21 PM »

Top 5 Countries in the Human Development Index:

1 Monaco   0.956
2 Norway   0.955
3 Australia 0.938
4 United States 0.937
5 Netherlands 0.921

This is factually unsupported, however. The US isn't horridly underdeveloped compared to Europe. This is an idea that needs to be discarded.

Adjusting for inequality the US goes down by about 20 spots.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #197 on: June 22, 2014, 12:55:28 AM »

Harry I know about the whole standards of living, but it comes at the cost of freedom. See maybe our differing political views just don't jive with our views on what we consider freedom.

I believe in majority rules, in free trade, free enterprise, freedom of speech. What always made the United States a great country was that we were the opposite of the rest of the world.

While Hitler banned smoking and created vast totalitarian order in Europe, Americans were smoking cigarettes and drinkin' Tennessee whiskey.

An Axis war leader once said, "I'd never want to invade the United States, because there would be a gun in the back of every soldier." The Jews didn't have weapons. Resistance groups failed. America was FOUNDED on a resistance victory against Britain.

We got rid of Europe here a long time ago for the specific purpose of not being Europe. Dare I say, that most Americans, even our leaders in the 1940s, thought more like ME than like you. By thinking like me, we won.

What if our WWII leaders thought like you? I don't believe victory could have been assured. That is why I'm such a pain in the butt about being against liberalism. I think it threatens us.

At first I thought this was the rantings of a bat[inks] crazy man and/or possible an audition for Fox News, but after doing a little research (looking at Wikipedia) I found this:

Hitler viewed smoking as "decadent"[14] and "the wrath of the Red Man against the White Man, vengeance for having been given hard liquor",[10].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tobacco_movement_in_Nazi_Germany

So, now we've finally gotten to the truth, the Redskin name is clearly symbolic of the Nazi's failure to eradicate smoking in the Third Reich and thus the Nazi failure to defeat America.  To get rid of that name means throwing away the victory of the Red Man and America in WWII.  God Bless America and smoke 'em if you got 'em.
Meursault
« Reply #198 on: June 22, 2014, 01:16:30 AM »

This entire thread is hillarious, especially the ginger homosexual doing his best Mister Smith impersonation.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #199 on: June 22, 2014, 01:24:40 AM »

I forgot people like Eazy-E and other rappers use the term n*gger so it's perfectly o.k. 

No it's not perfectly okay, but to claim that redskin is at the exact same level as n in terms of offensiveness is an absurd oversimplification.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies