Pensions and Retirement
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:30:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Pensions and Retirement
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pensions and Retirement  (Read 433 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 23, 2013, 08:44:13 AM »

As the Baby Boomers enter retirement in larger numbers, it's becoming clear that America's current retirement system is inadequate. Fidelity estimates that the average 401k balance for over 55's was a mere $150 000, or enough to generate $500/month in retirement.

As we've shifted from defined benefit to defined contribution retirement plans, workers have fallen behind. This is not solely due to poor investment returns. A 60/40 portfolio today is worth more in real terms than it's 2007-2008 peak. Workers have fallen behind due to poor savings rates, high fund fees, and chasing returns.

While wages have fallen in many cases, I'm not confident that people would save enough even if they were rapidly rising. Lack of savings is a problem for most classes, even the well-off. However, going back to defined benefit plans wouldn't make sense. People change jobs more and many poorer people have spotty work histories.

The tax shelters like IRA's/401k's should be kept in place for those who are disciplined enough to save and invest prudently, but for most people, another solution is needed. Most people are too undisciplined or simply don't make enough to save for retirement.

That is why I propose the following solution

• Introduce a guaranteed minimum income for seniors. It should be enough to sustain a modest standard of living
  • Turn Social Security into a proper pension plan by allowing it to invest in riskier assets
  • Allow employers to use Social Security as their pension plan (I.e. Your employer can contribute additional money to Social Security as a benefit) 
  • Allow people to purchase additional Social Security benefits with their savings
  • Raise premiums as needed to reduce Social Security's deficit
  • Retain tax shelters like the 401k, and IRA for those who wish to save more money or beat the market

This would prevent less investment savvy workers from squandering their savings, while allowing more flexibility as the economy changes. The minimum income would also insure that those who  didn't work don't starve.

The main issue I can see with this plan is that you'd have to make sure that the politicians can't get their paws on the plan.  For example: allowing people to purchase more Social Security at actuarily unsound prices would be disastrous. However, assuming everything is kept at arm's length, it should work out reasonably well.

Thoughts?

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 09:27:01 PM »

Public retirement programs like Social Security and Medicare should be strengthened. I don't understand the desire to give it all away to Wall Street, which is what almost every "reform" proposal amounts to.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 09:36:27 PM »

Public retirement programs like Social Security and Medicare should be strengthened. I don't understand the desire to give it all away to Wall Street, which is what almost every "reform" proposal amounts to.

We need a lockbox for both as Gore proposed in 2000. Whatever it takes to stop politicians from spending our social security and Medicare money. As for the private sector, we should make IRA's tax deductible for deposits of $2,000 or more. This would help people save money aside from social security. The only problem that I have with the way social security is set up is that when it was started, the life expectancy was much younger. Now with people living longer, they're collecting more than they put in. The last thing we want to do is tell people they have to wait until they're 80 to collect social security.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 01:45:05 AM »

Speaking of retirement and pensions why not set up a retirement age formula instead of having a set, absolute retirement age? My basic proposal is to have a retirement age range from say 60 to 70 and one gets points for each additional year along with points for employment status, job type (ie jobs involving physical labour would get additional points), income level, and health and when one reaches a certain amount of points they can retire.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 07:10:05 PM »

Well, Social Security only invests in government debt. That's extremely safe, but investors can earn returns while still investing conservatively. Check out this chart

A modest stock allocation actually reduces the risk of an all bond portfolio. Even if you think Social Security shouldn't be privatized (I certainly agree with you there), the higher returns generated by a somewhat more aggressive strategy take some of the demographic pressure off of the plan.

So yes, I think handing over some of the plans assets to "Wall Street" justified.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies