SENATE BILL: The National Mandate for Jessica's Law Act (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:16:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The National Mandate for Jessica's Law Act (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The National Mandate for Jessica's Law Act (Failed)  (Read 4484 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2013, 01:12:12 AM »
« edited: November 27, 2013, 06:32:45 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Tmthforu94
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 01:13:23 AM »

The sponsor has 24 hours to begin advocating for this.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 06:48:16 AM »

I will be voting against this bill, fwiw. I do not feel comfortable with the federal government establishing a database of individuals for any reason.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 09:51:14 AM »

I am proposing this amendment.

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 10:34:33 AM »

Senator Sbane's changes have my endorsement, especially the elimination of b.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 11:19:57 AM »

I too support Senator Sbane's amendment.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 11:24:25 AM »

This bill is an unconstitutional mandate upon the regions.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 11:27:03 AM »

Motion to table
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 11:45:08 AM »

What exactly are we defining as a sexual crime?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 12:48:55 PM »

Thank you, Mr. President.

First, I do not accept Senator SBane's law as friendly due to the removal of clause C. Clause C is in the books IRL, I just wanted to put it on the record in Atlasia. I have already "watered it down" after speaking to the President, but the reason behind this bill is that there have been many cases, Jessica Lunsford being a famous one, where sex offenders have been released from prison only to become repeat offenders. Now, I know the same could be said for other crimes committed as well, which is why I made this much more lenient than the original version to where it essentially just established a federal database, raising awareness in the communities. That being said, I will introduce the following amendment:

As for Shua's concern, if folks feel that mandating that the regions pass this is unconstitutional (I personally don't) I would be happy to remove that part and just make this national law. It was just my attempt to involve regions in on the process, as I don't think there is enough dialogue between the Senate and Regions presently.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 02:44:48 PM »

Second
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 04:32:38 PM »

As the only Senator willing to do my part to raise awareness of sex crimes, I feel more than qualified to discuss the motion to table this bill. This bill is not justice. This bill is ostracization. Constitutionality questions aside, mandating that regions register one time offenders in a public registry makes me sick to my stomach. I know of the horrible right wing legislation certain neo Nazis have scuffled through the Mideast Assembly and I deeply care about the people of my former region. Not all sex crimes are equal. I believe this is a dangerous law that leads down a slippery slope. Its best we take it off the table immediately.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 04:50:39 PM »

As the only Senator willing to do my part to raise awareness of sex crimes, I feel more than qualified to discuss the motion to table this bill. This bill is not justice. This bill is ostracization. Constitutionality questions aside, mandating that regions register one time offenders in a public registry makes me sick to my stomach. I know of the horrible right wing legislation certain neo Nazis have scuffled through the Mideast Assembly and I deeply care about the people of my former region. Not all sex crimes are equal. I believe this is a dangerous law that leads down a slippery slope. Its best we take it off the table immediately.

Could not have said it better myself, Senator.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 04:53:16 PM »

Senator, I am not aware of the presence of neo nazis in the Mideast who can vote in the regional Assembly. Could you name them, please?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 04:55:17 PM »

http://www.nsopw.gov/

Comparing citizens of this game to neo-Nazi's? That type of language has no place in Atlasia.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 05:00:31 PM »

At least it brought Napoleon to the Senate for once!
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2013, 05:24:26 PM »

Senator, I am not aware of the presence of neo nazis in the Mideast who can vote in the regional Assembly. Could you name them, please?

I can't think of one off of the top of my head but I'm sure there's been a couple here or there over time. If there wasn't we wouldn't see the usual suspects responding.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2013, 05:35:17 PM »

No one has been a louder critic of the Mideast wing of the Federalist party than I, but comparing ZuWo, JCL, and Oldiesfreak to Nazis is childish and disgraceful.

I'm sorry to distract further from the substance of this debate, but this needs to be said.

Lol, you're the only one naming them in the same sentence as Nazis. I didn't mention those three or Nazis. Creep.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2013, 06:56:51 PM »

I don't believe this is even constitutional (invasion of privacy, etc). I hate sex crimes as much as anyone, but I think this is more an overreaction to the problem rather than a solution even if this was found to be constitutional. Additionally, not all sex crimes are equal.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2013, 07:00:51 PM »

Well, seeing as how my chief aim for this legislation is technically already in Atlasia, I see the writing on the wall here, I withdraw my amendment and accept Senator SBane's as friendly, since that tackles the other issues I was hoping to address with this legislation.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2013, 01:52:35 AM »

A motion to table has been filed by Senator Napoleon and seconded by Senator TNF. A vote is now open on the motion to table, Senators please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain. This is a 2/3rds vote and will run for for 48 hours.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2013, 01:53:34 AM »

NAY
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2013, 02:03:30 AM »

Nay
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2013, 02:38:11 AM »

Nay

Sbane's amendment will allow for further discussion, while the issues that our former and current Presidents, along with many Senators, have raised are still very valid.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2013, 06:41:49 AM »

Aye
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies