Should joining a Trade Union be compulsory for all employees?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:53:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should joining a Trade Union be compulsory for all employees?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Do you support Closed Shop agreements?
Yes (D)
No (D)
Yes (R)
No (R)
Yes (O)
No (O)
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Should joining a Trade Union be compulsory for all employees?  (Read 5024 times)
Hifly
hifly15

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2013, 08:43:36 AM »
« edited: October 31, 2013, 11:16:10 AM by hifly15 »

As the title says.

My main concern here is that employees who aren't members of a union could be able to "free ride" off other employees who are union members whenever an agreement that improves working conditions/pay is reached in the workplace.

Thus I'm inclined to vote Yes (D)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 09:19:37 AM »

Absolutely.
freefair
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 10:31:42 AM »

Freedom of association takes priority in such cases, however if you're outside of a union there shouldn't be any legal guarantee that you'll get the same wage rises or hours.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 01:54:48 PM »

Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 01:59:35 PM »

No, definitely not.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 02:47:07 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 02:52:10 PM »

No, but I don't think the non unionized people should get the same benefits the unionized people do in this type of agreement.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 02:57:37 PM »

Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 02:57:46 PM »

Freedom of association takes priority in such cases, however if you're outside of a union there shouldn't be any legal guarantee that you'll get the same wage rises or hours.

This.

I don't see how any one who claims to support civil liberties can support the government forcing people to affiliate with/join certain organizations.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 03:03:02 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2013, 03:05:39 PM by white trash heroes »

if that was the case i could see more of an argument. however looking at wages and benefits in right to work states it seems fairly obvious what the actual outcome seems to be of the free market tm in action. i'd rather find happiness in slavery, thanks.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 03:26:45 PM »

This.

I don't see how any one who claims to support civil liberties can support the government forcing people to affiliate with/join certain organizations.

I think the issue is one of freedom of contract. If an employer and a union agree that all employees of a certain type must join the union, they should have to uphold the agreement.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 04:10:53 PM »

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 04:12:40 PM »

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 04:24:32 PM »

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 04:39:55 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2013, 04:55:51 PM by Fmr. Emperor PiT »

if that was the case i could see more of an argument. however looking at wages and benefits in right to work states it seems fairly obvious what the actual outcome seems to be of the free market tm in action. i'd rather find happiness in slavery, thanks.

Well, I'd rather work as a non-union employee. I would not want to have other people making that decision for me when I am full and well competent to make it for myself.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 04:49:45 PM »

Well, I'd rather work as a non-union employee. I'd do not want to have other people making that decision for me when I am full and well competent to make it for myself.

Who in their right mind prefer non-union work to union work?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2013, 04:53:50 PM »

Well, I'd rather work as a non-union employee. I'd do not want to have other people making that decision for me when I am full and well competent to make it for myself.

Being a unionized accountant is soul sucking if you ever want to get something done. Most annoying summer job ever.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2013, 04:56:23 PM »

Well, I'd rather work as a non-union employee. I would not want to have other people making that decision for me when I am full and well competent to make it for myself.

So because you do not know why people would act differently, they should be banned from doing so (at least I suppose that is what you are getting at, or else your comment is altogether irrelevant)? Good to know that you are the sole definer of human existence.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2013, 05:06:04 PM »

Redalgo
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2013, 06:00:33 PM »

freefair
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2013, 08:04:57 PM »

I think the issue is one of freedom of contract. If an employer and a union agree that all employees of a certain type must join the union, they should have to uphold the agreement.

If that's what's implied by the word "compulsory", then yes, I think closed shop is good, or at least acceptable. I thought it was being implied that the state/government would force people to join.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2013, 08:08:06 PM »

John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2013, 02:32:34 PM »

Not every job requires a union to get fair pay and benefits. Many skilled positions have a scarce enough labor pool that individuals can negotiate successfully on their own when they feel the need, or they can easily enough find employment elsewhere to get what they want. I'm in such a positions, so being in a union would mean I would be paying dues to a group that wouldn't provide any value in return.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2013, 10:02:58 PM »

politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2013, 04:03:13 AM »

Yes (D). The decline of unions has almost directly coincided with the decline of the middle class of this country. Unions are currently the best way to ensure that workers receive benefits and just compensation. They fill the void left by government and its lack of guaranteed benefits and protections.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies