Opinion of Martin Luther
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:11:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of Martin Luther
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Opinion of Martin Luther  (Read 4511 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2013, 10:25:56 AM »

Freedom Fighter, distinguished the Priesthood from the laity and it is the laity that has a shared role inside the Church.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »

Since in the modern day I'm a much bigger fan of people who schism and start their own churches and denominations and movements than people who try to reform the ones they were born into it'd be kind of hypocritical of me to favor More's approach over Luther's.

I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought. - 1 Corinthians 1:10
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2013, 04:06:28 PM »

Since in the modern day I'm a much bigger fan of people who schism and start their own churches and denominations and movements than people who try to reform the ones they were born into it'd be kind of hypocritical of me to favor More's approach over Luther's.

I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought. - 1 Corinthians 1:10

However, as is the case with all religions, such unity is impossible.  People are inevitably going to have different theological points of view no matter who or what the center of a group's beliefs is.  Speaking for myself, I don't think it's a problem that we have so many denominations and churches to choose from, either.  If the United Methodist Church lets you better experience God than the Roman Catholic Church, I say go to the former and vice-versa.  Christians shouldn't have to feel like they must be baptized into a particular church or denomination to receive God's love.  Such attitudes distract people from the real meaning of the faith.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2013, 04:31:43 AM »

However, as is the case with all religions, such unity is impossible.  People are inevitably going to have different theological points of view no matter who or what the center of a group's beliefs is.  Speaking for myself, I don't think it's a problem that we have so many denominations and churches to choose from, either.  If the United Methodist Church lets you better experience God than the Roman Catholic Church, I say go to the former and vice-versa.  Christians shouldn't have to feel like they must be baptized into a particular church or denomination to receive God's love.  Such attitudes distract people from the real meaning of the faith.

So does some weird active preference for schism like BRTD is (perhaps not entirely intentionally?) expressing, obviously.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2013, 08:40:23 AM »

What do I think of Luther?

I think he saved the Catholic Church from itself (the Catholic Church in 1600 was much less corrupt, more diverse and even more tolerant than the church a century earlier), accidental spread religious freedom and diversity, strengthen secular power against ecclessial power and spread literacy both directly and indirectly.

So Luther did more than any other person to drag Europe out of the Middle Ages into the Early Modern Age.

So while he may have personal been a horrible person by modern standards in all his intolerance and brutal and pragmatic realpolitik, he end up being a FF through no fault of his own, but through pure accident.

In truth Luther wasn't the religious reformer we deserved, but he was religious reformer we needed.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2013, 02:17:38 AM »

Ultimate Freedom Fighter! Even if it wasn't his intention, he's freed the minds of billions of people throughout history.   
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2013, 09:22:38 PM »

He had his flaws, but this.  Anyone who says otherwise is an HP.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies