Alex Sink running for Bill Young's old house seat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:05:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Alex Sink running for Bill Young's old house seat
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17
Author Topic: Alex Sink running for Bill Young's old house seat  (Read 40676 times)
emcee0
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2013, 09:56:43 PM »

http://jacksonville.com/breaking-news/2013-10-31/story/former-florida-cfo-alex-sink-running-congress
Alex Sink is running for Bill Young's old House seat in the 13th District. PVI indicates it is R+1 but it seems to be trending Democrats. It went 52-47 for McCain in '08 but Obama won it by one percent 50-49 last year. With Alex Sink entering the race this could be a pretty competitive race and maybe even a pick up.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 10:08:01 PM »

Noo!!! Sad
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 10:53:45 PM »

She ain't from the district, so I'm not sure how competitive she is.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 10:59:33 PM »

Smiley
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 11:24:19 PM »

Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 11:41:46 PM »

Sink is the strongest Democrat (and by that I mean Democrat Democrat, excepting Bill Nelson) in the state. If this is the office she chooses to go for that's great. And even with Sink its still winnable for Republicans if the environment is right, Sink runs a bad campaign, and if the Republicans can convince someone good to run. With the tragicomedy that is the Florida Democrats I'd guess a minimum of two of those will happen.

And can we please keep this confined to one thread? I think there are 3 threads about this seat now.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 12:20:55 AM »

Let me tell you, Sinks 2010 race kept me in the world of politics, and I wouldn't be this political nutjob without her influence, so I don't care what office she is trying to get, I will make phone calls, try to canvass for her campaign, and enter data. This woman is the biggest reason I met a lot of wonderful people, and I hope she wins this congressional seat.

You go Ms. Sink and you win and you win big.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 06:33:41 AM »
« Edited: November 01, 2013, 09:57:34 AM by SJoyce »

Given both Murphy's victory in Pasco and Kriseman's current polling lead in St. Pete the environment currently doesn't seem hyper-favorable to the Rs by any stretch, though of course that could change.

Certainly a possibility for something like in 2010, though she's already raised over $130K since her announcement.

and if the Republicans can convince someone good to run.

Latvala? Brandes? Both have declined, and I'm getting the vibe that Baker won't run either.

She ain't from the district, so I'm not sure how competitive she is.

Polling has her up 17 on popular former St. Pete Mayor (and possible Romney HUD pick) Rick Baker. Feeling on the ground here in FL-13 is very pro-Sink as well.

And can we please keep this confined to one thread? I think there are 3 threads about this seat now.

Also, this. Besides, the news broke a couple days ago exclusively in the Times - the real story here is that it took the Times-Union until the 31st to pick up on it.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 03:19:50 PM »

Billy Young Jr. is out
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 07:26:51 PM »

Good. We wouldn't want voters to vote for a Bill Young just because his name is on the ballot.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 01:40:31 PM »

"I am thankful for the many friends who have encouraged me to run for Congress. The honor is greater because of the respect I have for Congressman Bill Young and his long and accomplished record of public service. I treasure my time as mayor and may likely  consider a return to public service at some point - but not now. After much prayerful thought I have decided that I will not run for Congress at this time. I intend to focus my near term efforts on my family and my work with Bill Edwards to make our great city and state even greater.  I look forward to enthusiastically supporting the Republican nominee for this Congressional seat."

Baker is out.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 01:42:02 PM »

Sh*t. This could really be the first House special election (since 2012) where party control flips.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 03:31:03 PM »

Lobbyist and former general counsel to Rep. Young David Jolly has entered the race with the backing of Beverly Young.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 04:27:43 PM »

Lobbyist and former general counsel to Rep. Young David Jolly has entered the race with the backing of Beverly Young.

With the Young family and Rick Baker out, I think you can pretty much call this Lean D.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 01:34:52 AM »

Jolly's lobbying past has dug up an odd tidbit of info

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Castor and Nelson I can get, seeing as how a lobbyist has to be bipartisan. He's gonna have a tough time explaining donating to Jesse Jackson Jr. though.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 06:33:07 AM »

Jolly's lobbying past has dug up an odd tidbit of info

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Castor and Nelson I can get, seeing as how a lobbyist has to be bipartisan. He's gonna have a tough time explaining donating to Jesse Jackson Jr. though.

Smells like primary poison. The attack ads write themselves.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 02:14:24 PM »

The GOP base might not like Jolly, but they're running out of options.

Pinellas County Commissioner Karen Seel is out.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 01:36:23 PM »

Jessica Ehrlich is dropping out of the Dem primary
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 02:28:30 PM »

Polling has Jolly leading Brickfield and Hibbard; all three GOP choices are 20 points behind Sink.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 07:22:47 PM »
« Edited: November 06, 2013, 07:26:10 PM by Flo »

Polling has Jolly leading Brickfield and Hibbard; all three GOP choices are 20 points behind Sink.
Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

(click on any smiley face)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 07:32:32 PM »

I'm really not a fan of what Sink's doing here. Want to run for Congress? Great! The Florida Dems need strong candidates. Dennis Ross is polling behind Generic D - and his district actually has Thonotosassa in it. This just reeks of playing the game; running because you want power.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 07:46:20 PM »

I'm really not a fan of what Sink's doing here. Want to run for Congress? Great! The Florida Dems need strong candidates. Dennis Ross is polling behind Generic D - and his district actually has Thonotosassa in it. This just reeks of playing the game; running because you want power.

You have a Crist for Governor image in your signature.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 08:39:09 PM »

1. A large number of people who serve in congress and is elected do not live in the border lines of their congressional district.
2. Alex Sink was recruited by many top Democrats, including countless others sending her messages on facebook.
3. We both are for Charlie Crist, and we know why we're supporting him. He's a moderate who can beat Rick Scott's $100 million machine.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 08:55:31 PM »

1. A large number of people who serve in congress and is elected do not live in the border lines of their congressional district.

Yeah. That bothers me too.

2. Alex Sink was recruited by many top Democrats, including countless others sending her messages on Facebook.

So was Ken Welch. Part of the reason he declined was “the fact that my St. Petersburg residence is not within the boundaries of the district"
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 10:21:15 PM »

I really thought Alex Sink was a man. Guess I haven't been paying too much attention.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies