Alex Sink running for Bill Young's old house seat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:38:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Alex Sink running for Bill Young's old house seat
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17
Author Topic: Alex Sink running for Bill Young's old house seat  (Read 40680 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: March 11, 2014, 06:36:59 PM »

I mean, who doesn't love to blame gerrymandering? But it's a pretty weak excuse when your candidates start with 20 POINT LEADS.

I really thought Jolly winning would be an upset. F#ck me sideways.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #226 on: March 11, 2014, 06:37:19 PM »

You can't blame Sink, this district is a rigged gerrymander, blame the Republican legislature for breaking the rules of the redistricting amendment.

Please, lets stop with the excuses.

It's the truth, the district is gerrymandered. It's not really a big shock or conquest that a Republican won in this district.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #227 on: March 11, 2014, 06:37:26 PM »

Absolutely disgusting. The Florida Democrats need to be razed from the ground up.

Yes, fine, let's run a lazy, failed candidate AGAIN for an ultra-valuable House seat. Let's see how well that does! After all, she's the one who's leading in the polls!

The only thing going for us in the state is Patrick Murphy and MAYBE Gwen Graham (if Bobby can help). The rest of the FL Democrats don't deserve to be near anything to do with politics ever again.

You forget that Sink had lots of money.

Money doesn't mean sh*t. Sheldon Adelson spent millions on eight candidates, and one only won because he faced a horrifically corrupt Democrat.

You can't blame Sink, this district is a rigged gerrymander, blame the Republican legislature for breaking the rules of the redistricting amendment.

This is an Obama district. Especially considering the candidate screams Washington, DC, she had absolutely no business losing this seat.
Joshgreen
« Reply #228 on: March 11, 2014, 06:38:01 PM »

I hope they run this loser out of the state
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #229 on: March 11, 2014, 06:38:05 PM »

Gerrymandering works, what a freaking surprise.
Yes, it may have been a small factor, but you lost because you nominated a horrible nominee.  You threw one away.  Should have had Rick Kriseman run instead of mayor.  You would have a house seat then.

Nope, gerrymandering one the seat for Republicans. There is no way any Democrat was going to win this seat in a special elections. Republicans knew what they were doing when they drew this district.
No, you won because the legislature cut out black voters and used water continuity to pack them. You really think Jolly would have won if the whole of St. Pete was in the district?
I know it was a factor, but not the main one.  You still, even with the gerrymander should have won the seat.  Jolly is a bad candidate, but Sink is worse.
I completely disagree.  This was a winnable seat, especially with the candidate we ran.  It comes down to who you nominated.  She grabbed defeat out of the jaws of Victory.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #230 on: March 11, 2014, 06:38:16 PM »

I mean, who doesn't love to blame gerrymandering? But it's a pretty weak excuse when your candidates start with 20 POINT LEADS.

That 20% lead always seemed inflated, Sink was never going to win by that much, let alone at all.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #231 on: March 11, 2014, 06:38:45 PM »

Proof that crist > sink.

Very poor effort, should have won this comfortably.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #232 on: March 11, 2014, 06:39:16 PM »

Yes, it may have been a small factor, but you lost because you nominated a horrible nominee.  You threw one away.  Should have had Rick Kriseman run instead of mayor.  You would have a house seat then.

Nope, gerrymandering one the seat for Republicans. There is no way any Democrat was going to win this seat in a special elections. Republicans knew what they were doing when they drew this district.
No, you won because the legislature cut out black voters and used water continuity to pack them. You really think Jolly would have won if the whole of St. Pete was in the district?
I know it was a factor, but not the main one.  You still, even with the gerrymander should have won the seat.  Jolly is a bad candidate, but Sink is worse.
I completely disagree.  This was a winnable seat, especially with the candidate we ran.  It comes down to who you nominated.  She grabbed defeat out of the jaws of Victory.

It wasn't going to flip, period. Democrats can't win these sort of seats in low turnout special elections, not without other factors at play.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #233 on: March 11, 2014, 06:40:09 PM »

Looks like the RRH poll was right, and PPP was wrong.
Joshgreen
« Reply #234 on: March 11, 2014, 06:40:13 PM »

That 20% lead always seemed inflated, Sink was never going to win by that much, let alone at all.

If she had actual ground game she could have easily won by 5-10
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #235 on: March 11, 2014, 06:40:25 PM »

In fairness to Sink, turnout benefits Dems and special elections in a swing district are rarely a good thing for them.

That said, she was certainly unimpressive here.
Joshgreen
« Reply #236 on: March 11, 2014, 06:41:21 PM »

In fairness to Sink, turnout benefits Dems and special elections in a swing district are rarely a good thing for them.

That said, she was certainly unimpressive here.

That's why you have a campaign, to shape the turnout...
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #237 on: March 11, 2014, 06:41:41 PM »

All Precincts are in...

Jolly (R): 88,294 (48.4%)
Sink (D): 84,877 (46.6%)
Overby (L): 8,799 (4.8%)
Write-in: 325 (0.2%)
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #238 on: March 11, 2014, 06:42:37 PM »

It wasn't going to flip, period. Democrats can't win these sort of seats in low turnout special elections, not without other factors at play.

Wrong again.  Obama won this district.  There were many better candidates on both sides.  You just nominated the wrong one.  Stop making excuses for it, she sucks, and I hope the FL Democratic party does not make the same mistake and nominate her for anything. 
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #239 on: March 11, 2014, 06:45:28 PM »

Wrong again.  Obama won this district.  There were many better candidates on both sides.  You just nominated the wrong one.  Stop making excuses for it, she sucks, and I hope the FL Democratic party does not make the same mistake and nominate her for anything. 

The district voted as it was drawn to vote, it's as simple as that. The Republican legislature knew what it was doing when it drew this district. Obama may have won it, but that was with higher turnout.
OkThen

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 0.35

« Reply #240 on: March 11, 2014, 06:46:07 PM »

Honestly, they probably would've had a better shot running Ehrlich again. Sink sucks.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #241 on: March 11, 2014, 06:46:26 PM »

I feel like Sink's political career is basically over after this.

That said, I can't be happy with a guy like Jolly going to Congress.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #242 on: March 11, 2014, 06:47:37 PM »

Why does it matter? He has an R next to his name, take what you can get.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #243 on: March 11, 2014, 06:48:19 PM »

The district voted as it was drawn to vote, it's as simple as that. The Republican legislature knew what it was doing when it drew this district. Obama may have won it, but that was with higher turnout.
The district was drawn for Bill Young, yes, but it is trending democratic fast.  It should have been a pickup for you guys, even in a low turnout election.  You could have, and should have won.  It is Sinks fault you didn't, simple as that.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #244 on: March 11, 2014, 06:50:53 PM »

The district was drawn for Bill Young, yes, but it is trending democratic fast.  It should have been a pickup for you guys, even in a low turnout election.  You could have, and should have won.  It is Sinks fault you didn't, simple as that.

Bill Young was a Republican and at his age, the legislature couldn't have expected him to be there that much longer, so it was drawn with a Republican advantage period. Young might have won it un-gerrymandered, but that's something we'll never know.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #245 on: March 11, 2014, 06:51:04 PM »

AP calls it.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #246 on: March 11, 2014, 06:51:17 PM »

The district was drawn for Bill Young, yes, but it is trending democratic fast.  It should have been a pickup for you guys, even in a low turnout election.  You could have, and should have won.  It is Sinks fault you didn't, simple as that.

Someone at RRH said that this seat would be more Democratic with a fair map, but others, like Murphy's, would get more Republican.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #247 on: March 11, 2014, 06:52:29 PM »

Because I'm not an R. And Jolly is the type of Republican that sickens me.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #248 on: March 11, 2014, 06:54:05 PM »

Bill Young was a Republican and at his age, the legislature couldn't have expected him to be there that much longer, so it was drawn with a Republican advantage period. Young might have won it un-gerrymandered, but that's something we'll never know.

Yes, we will never know.  Can I ask, why are you making excuses for Sink?  It is her fault.  Rick Kriseman would have easily won this district against jolly.

Someone at RRH said that this seat would be more Democratic with a fair map, but others, like Murphy's, would get more Republican.

True.  But, I think the map could have been much worse if the redistrict amendment had not passed. 
Joshgreen
« Reply #249 on: March 11, 2014, 06:54:20 PM »

Because I'm not an R. And Jolly is the type of Republican that sickens me.

Jolly will be yet another corporate shill. Sink would have been little better.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies