Alex Sink running for Bill Young's old house seat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:38:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Alex Sink running for Bill Young's old house seat
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17
Author Topic: Alex Sink running for Bill Young's old house seat  (Read 40782 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: March 11, 2014, 08:56:58 PM »

The unpopularity of the President and Obamacare were obviously very important factors here. But this shouldn't be ignored:

In precincts Romney won, voter turnout was 58% of what it was in November 2012.

In precincts Obama won, voter turnout was 48.5% of what it was in November 2012.

In other words, Sink had a huge turnout disadvantage.

Probably the most important post in this thread. It's not Alex Sink's fault these voters didn't turn out. They simply don't care about politics enough to vote in off years and midterms. To them a special election for the House of Representatives is about as important as a special election for a school board vacancy is for political junkies.

How is it NOT Sink's fault? A campaign's job is to turnout its voters, Sink clearly failed at this.

There's only so much you can do to turn out voters who simply don't care.

These voters are low-info types, therefore you feed then info so that they do care. It's micro targeting 101

Sink and the DCCC invested more money into field than any U.S. House special election ever. You can only squeeze so much juice out of an orange.

Source? It clearly wasn't enough...

You can go look up the FEC reports yourself.

You have wildly unrealistic expectations. They're field organizers, not magicians. Without the field program that was on the ground, Sink easily could've lost by 4 or 5.

And if the field organizers had better they could have easily gotten the extra 3000 votes. Good candidates win close races, Sink is neither a good candidate nor a good manager.

You've just got it all figured out, don't you?
Having worked on several campaigns, I can concur with Meeker that it just isn't that simple.
Joshgreen
« Reply #301 on: March 11, 2014, 08:57:47 PM »

The unpopularity of the President and Obamacare were obviously very important factors here. But this shouldn't be ignored:

In precincts Obama won, voter turnout was 48.5% of what it was in November 2012.

Probably the most important post in this thread. It's not Alex Sink's fault these voters didn't turn out. They simply don't care about politics enough to vote in off years and midterms. To them a special election for the House of Representatives is about as important as a special election for a school board vacancy is for political junkies.

How is it NOT Sink's fault? A campaign's job is to turnout its voters, Sink clearly failed at this.

These voters are low-info types, therefore you feed then info so that they do care. It's micro targeting 101

Sink and the DCCC invested more money into field than any U.S. House special election ever. You can only squeeze so much juice out of an orange.

You have wildly unrealistic expectations. They're field organizers, not magicians. Without the field program that was on the ground, Sink easily could've lost by 4 or 5.

And if the field organizers had better they could have easily gotten the extra 3000 votes. Good candidates win close races, Sink is neither a good candidate nor a good manager.

No, just have a higher standard for the supposed "professionals". Why do you feel the need to carry water for Sink?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #302 on: March 11, 2014, 08:58:13 PM »

Excellent outcome. A Jolly good night Smiley
Haha I get it's a play on words
Joshgreen
« Reply #303 on: March 11, 2014, 08:59:00 PM »

Having worked on several campaigns, I can concur with Meeker that it just isn't that simple.

No it's not simple to do, but the idea behind it is simple. That's how the Obamans cleaned the Clintons' clocks in '08.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #304 on: March 11, 2014, 09:01:53 PM »

No, just have a higher standard for the supposed "professionals". Why do you feel the need to carry water for Sink?

Why? Because there are people who just spent three or fourth months of their lives down there, working twelve-hour days, seven days a week, living on couches, and barely getting paid anything. And your suggestion to them is they should've just worked harder and been better?

You're both a prick and an idiot. And now you're on ignore. Have a nice life.
Joshgreen
« Reply #305 on: March 11, 2014, 09:03:50 PM »

Why? Because there are people who just spent three or fourth months of their lives down there, working twelve-hour days, seven days a week, living on couches, and barely getting paid anything. And your suggestion to them is they should've just worked harder and been better?

You're both a prick and an idiot. And now you're on ignore. Have a nice life.

I'm not blaming them! I'm blaming Sink and the DCCC. I in no way mean to impugn any volunteers on this campaign.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #306 on: March 11, 2014, 09:29:17 PM »

Alright, let’s see what’s going on.

Gerrymandering - not really. FL-13 is relatively compact, and has been as it is for the past several cycles. Indeed, it’s less gerrymandered than the old FL-13. Yes, Sink would’ve won if South St. Pete had been in the district, no question - but gerrymandering wasn’t what killed this seat. FL-13 was like this for the past couple cycles because of the Tampa-based VRA district - and Obama still won this district.

This really was a throwaway by the Dems. Jerry mentioned Kriseman - as much as I like the guy (worked his mayoral run), he just got elected to the mayorship. I think he’s a great candidate and I’ll support him for whatever he does, but I’d like to see him in the mayor’s office for as long as possible. There were, however, a lot of better Dem candidates. Someone like Charlie Justice (or Charlie Crist, if he lived here) is who I’d want to see nominated - honestly, I think Justice could’ve won. I know where Charlie Justice lives. He’s got a house, he works at the local college. Where does Alex Sink work? There’s a reason the Jolly signs said “Let’s Win This For Pinellas.” She lives in a condo in Feather Sound that she rents. Overby lives in Clearwater, Jolly’s got a homestead exemption on his condo on the beach - if they lost, they’d keep on living here. I wouldn’t be surprised if Sink went back to Thonotosassa. Sink just wasn’t that good a candidate - someone who actually lived in Pinellas could’ve done it, or just somebody who actually showed up to the debates. Probably the end of her political career. Hope she doesn’t try to return in November.

This wasn’t a loss because of Republican money - they were pretty even in money. Sink’s campaign outraised Jolly, and outside totals were relatively comparable. I can’t count the number of outside group ads in the district, but there wasn’t a noticeable slant to either side. We needed a better candidate. This was a failure on the part of FL Democratic leadership, but that’s not news. We’ve got talent, in people like Murphy, Graham (who - in contrast to the ludicrous claims earlier up - should be funded as much as we can), Nelson, and a lot of the big-city mayors (Buckhorn, Dyer, Iorio, Brown), as well as Crist. Democratic leadership isn’t great, but it never has been - and nominating DWS or Deutch in 2016 won’t fix that. Change begins at the ground level - electing good Dems to the State Legislature and County Commissions, and that’s something the FDP just isn’t focusing on. So yeah, bless Sawx’s post.

-Sent from FL-13
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #307 on: March 11, 2014, 09:41:09 PM »

Why anyone would want to reward these cretins with a vote after they shut down the government and nearly defaulted the country is beyond me, but w/e.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #308 on: March 11, 2014, 09:50:33 PM »

Why anyone would want to reward these cretins with a vote after they shut down the government and nearly defaulted the country is beyond me, but w/e.

On a national level Republicans are utterly terrible for the economy, but in the district - I went downtown today. One of the buildings I passed was the C.W. Bill Young Marine Science Complex at USF-St. Pete. If I go out to the beaches, they're beaches renourished by federal money brought here by a Republican. If I go to MacDill AFB in Tampa, or the C.W. Bill Young VA Medical Center - that's impacting the regional economy, from a Republican. I can even drink water, from the C.W. Bill Young Reservoir. National Republicans aren't helping the district - but Bill Young did. Young was a good man, who really did help this district - lot of local pro-Young sentiment that at least blunts that kind of attack.
njwes
United States

« Reply #309 on: March 11, 2014, 10:04:48 PM »

1.) SJoyce, being from the district, I'm curious about your feelings on the 4.8% for Overby. Who do you think he got those votes from? My hunch would be they were largely people who would otherwise have not voted, or voted Republican, but I read elsewhere that he was drawing votes from both candidates.

2.) Lolz @ Dems immediately bringing up the Koch boogeyman. As always, big money is only bad when Republicans use it Tongue

3.) It's comical to see Dems admit that their base voters are politically ignorant, unmotivated, and apathetic outside of a general election; even then they tend to require bussing straight to the polls. Not that everyone didn't know that already, but still.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #310 on: March 11, 2014, 10:11:35 PM »

FL-14 isn't a VRA seat, and it's actually majority white if I am correct. That part of St. Pete does not belong in FL-14, it's not a clean map and it's not VRA required.

No Democrat was winning this seat, turnout fall off didn't allow for it and it was specifically drawn for a Republican to win, despite the fact that Obama won it.
njwes
United States

« Reply #311 on: March 11, 2014, 10:15:04 PM »

FL-14 isn't a VRA seat, and it's actually majority white if I am correct. That part of St. Pete does not belong in FL-14, it's not a clean map and it's not VRA required.

No Democrat was winning this seat, turnout fall off didn't allow for it and it was specifically drawn for a Republican to win, despite the fact that Obama won it.

Yes, yes, let the hate flow through you.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #312 on: March 11, 2014, 10:19:05 PM »

Yes, yes, let the hate flow through you.

What about my post was hateful?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #313 on: March 11, 2014, 10:20:55 PM »

1.) SJoyce, being from the district, I'm curious about your feelings on the 4.8% for Overby. Who do you think he got those votes from? My hunch would be they were largely people who would otherwise have not voted, or voted Republican, but I read elsewhere that he was drawing votes from both candidates.

I felt he was drawing pretty evenly - some of my Dem friends were concerned about how much he was drawing from them. Overby gave off a polished sort of "libertarian but not that kind of libertarian" appearance, and is pretty moderate. He's certainly not pulling 100% from Jolly. Had he not been in it, Jolly still would've won but it would've been by around the same margin (with slightly reduced turnout).

The district is majority-minority. Probably white plurality, but I don't have the exact numbers on it. I live in that part of St. Pete (lived in FL-13 before this year, still go to school there), and you're correct that it doesn't belong in FL-14. But Democrats can win without it.

It was drawn for Bill Young to win. We could've gotten a much better candidate than Sink - better candidate with a better campaign would've won.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #314 on: March 11, 2014, 10:48:52 PM »

BILL OWENS VICTORY IN REPUBLICAN NY-23 SIGNIFIES VOTER REJECTION OF TEA PARTY FERVOR HEADING INTO 2010 MIDTERMS

MORE AT 11.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #315 on: March 11, 2014, 10:55:05 PM »

I would be a little more concerned if this seat had previously been held by a Democrat...
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #316 on: March 11, 2014, 11:14:08 PM »

Well, the spin machine is on.

Link

MEMO: IN HEAVILY REPUBLICAN DISTRICT, DEMOCRATS PROVED THEY CAN COMPETE

Interesting. Before it was Jolly who was setting expectations down.

That is indeed S-P-I-N - on steroids. Tongue Political hacks, and there are far too many in both parties, have no shame. When their lips are moving, you know they're lying.
Princess Nyan Cat
nyancat
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.52, S: 4.35

« Reply #317 on: March 11, 2014, 11:18:07 PM »

This seat was a must-win for Democrats to have any hope for taking control of the House this coming election. Yet even recruiting one of the most well-known candidates in the state and she outspent her opponent 4-to-1, she still loses.

Gives me renewed faith in the state where I spent most of my life!
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #318 on: March 11, 2014, 11:44:42 PM »

Ehrlich 2016. That's all I need to say.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #319 on: March 11, 2014, 11:47:20 PM »

I always find it ironic that somehow Soros funded SuperPACs which seem to have more $ than the Koch's do are fair game.

But the Koch's are still the boogeymen here?

No matter how you slice it, Sink and her allies had more $ than Jolly - and he still won. Play the blame game, but don't blame "Republican $" when there was less of it (as seems to be the norm nowadays) than Dem $.

So proud of the Sunshine State!
Aliens
Invader
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -6.09

« Reply #320 on: March 12, 2014, 12:20:19 AM »

I think most people can agree that including Overby in that debate last month was a good thing.  He covered the spread, but obviously didn't take too many votes away from Jolly compared to Sink.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #321 on: March 12, 2014, 03:04:45 AM »

OH. MY. GOD ...

Democrats are either extremely lazy voters, or Sink is a fail-candidate. Or both.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #322 on: March 12, 2014, 07:12:26 AM »

What's the excuse this time? "Jolly was just too good of a candidate?"
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #323 on: March 12, 2014, 07:33:45 AM »

Not a tragedy, given it was one special election.

Sink should definitively move away from the electoral politics, though.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #324 on: March 12, 2014, 08:00:35 AM »

OH. MY. GOD ...

Democrats are either extremely lazy voters, or Sink is a fail-candidate. Or both.

That's the thing about Florida Democrats, anyways. You would think the Florida would be between North Carolina and Georgia based on its down ballot. They only turn out for presidents.   Sink lost to Scott because she got blamed for the country, if not the develop world's, if not the world's worst housing crisis. Also, the culture in North Clearwater, especially Clearwater Beach and Tarpon Springs is VERY Republican. Its part of the Redneck Rivera.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies