Alex Sink running for Bill Young's old house seat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:05:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Alex Sink running for Bill Young's old house seat
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17
Author Topic: Alex Sink running for Bill Young's old house seat  (Read 40796 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: April 07, 2014, 09:16:18 PM »
« edited: April 07, 2014, 09:24:18 PM by Invisible Obama »

Sink is the only Democrat to win a constitutional office in Florida this century, so I don't see her as a bad candidate. Besides, I read that the DCCC wants her to run again and they don't usually want poor candidates to run again.

She won one election eight years ago.

Still, it's a stretch to keep calling her a horrible candidate. She over performed greatly in poor turnout conditions, I don't think any other candidate would have done as well in FL-13 as Sink, nor as well for Governor in 2010.

She overperformed? When the polls are predicting you'll win, and you'll lose, that's not called overperforming. That's underperforming. Any of the other candidates who grew up in FL-13 or have actually lived in FL-13 or owned a house in FL-13 or held a job in FL-13 would've done just as well if not better.

I won't argue about it, but the point is, she over performed in terms of how other Democrats would have performed with such turnout conditions. Some Democrats have lost by double digits in marginal seats or states, but Sink got pretty close. Turnout and gerrymandering are two issues that everyone wants to dismiss, but they play a big role in elections.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #376 on: April 07, 2014, 09:37:31 PM »

Sink is the only Democrat to win a constitutional office in Florida this century, so I don't see her as a bad candidate. Besides, I read that the DCCC wants her to run again and they don't usually want poor candidates to run again.

She won one election eight years ago.

Still, it's a stretch to keep calling her a horrible candidate. She over performed greatly in poor turnout conditions, I don't think any other candidate would have done as well in FL-13 as Sink, nor as well for Governor in 2010.

She overperformed? When the polls are predicting you'll win, and you'll lose, that's not called overperforming. That's underperforming. Any of the other candidates who grew up in FL-13 or have actually lived in FL-13 or owned a house in FL-13 or held a job in FL-13 would've done just as well if not better.

As said above, you can't blame Sink for not living up to the polls; her own internal polling always had it very close. The polls were bad.

Also, I'm okay with Sink running. If she loses again, then we can tell her to shove it and start recruiting Charlie Justice or whoever else we think would be better. If she wins, she proves the special election was purely a turnout game an obliterates the "Referendum on Obamacare" talking point. Also, I think the DCCC should show loyalty to the candidates they recruit into tough races.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #377 on: April 07, 2014, 10:12:13 PM »

That was not directed at you as much as the faint light at the end of the tunnel that you were desperately trying to scratch with the tip of your finger nail to feed your hackish fantasies.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #378 on: April 08, 2014, 02:21:03 PM »

The "best" candidate doesn't mean they are a lock. 'She ain't goin nowhere!

Who said she was a lock? I never put that in my post.
That was not directed at you as much as the faint light at the end of the tunnel that you were desperately trying to scratch with the tip of your finger nail to feed your hackish fantasies. I don't even know why the DCCC is wasting money on this seat. They need to hold Murphy and Garcia. Murphy is the only hope the FL Democrats really have besides the Republican their running this year.
Gwen Graham says hello.
I forgot about her, but yes, she is a viable candidate.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #379 on: April 15, 2014, 10:07:55 AM »

Sink will not run in the General

My fellow Democrats can now begin cheering because it was COMPLETELY her fault and she deserves to die in a hole for losing /borderline-misogynist
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #380 on: April 15, 2014, 10:56:11 AM »

The political career of this woman is in complete tatters.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #381 on: April 15, 2014, 11:41:31 AM »

My fellow Democrats can now begin cheering because it was COMPLETELY her fault and she deserves to die in a hole for losing /borderline-misogynist

Nah, I just think she was a bad candidate. I think Charlie Justice will be a much better candidate in the general. Or even Ehrlich.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #382 on: April 15, 2014, 11:42:42 AM »

Uhh... I've already said multiple times that my preferred candidate is Ehrlich. You know my issue with Alex Sink, and crying misogyny isn't going to work with me.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #383 on: April 15, 2014, 11:44:27 AM »

Seriously, I agree with Sawx, Ehrlich would be a good candidate!
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #384 on: April 15, 2014, 11:47:57 AM »
« Edited: April 15, 2014, 12:20:20 PM by Sawx »

If you can get under a 15% margin against Young, you're doing something right.

I for one think she has a good chance at taking this seat now.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #385 on: April 15, 2014, 02:57:23 PM »

Agreed with Sawx entirely; Ehrlich can win. Sink cannot.

So, let me get this straight, voting for a man or criticizing a female candidate is misogynist?

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #386 on: April 15, 2014, 03:07:27 PM »

I doubt any Democrat wins this seat in 2014, with an incumbent in place, it would be hard to do. Plus, it's drawn for a Republican, it doesn't matter if Obama won it, it's not a Democratic seat.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #387 on: April 15, 2014, 03:24:11 PM »

So, let me get this straight, voting for a man or criticizing a female candidate is misogynist?

It's misogynist when this forum treats every female candidate like a "bitch" or a idiot when they lose. If Alex Sink was a guy, this forum would not have gone as apes**t as it did when she lost.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #388 on: April 15, 2014, 03:34:51 PM »

It's misogynist when this forum treats every female candidate like a "bitch" or a idiot when they lose. If Alex Sink was a guy, this forum would not have gone as apes**t as it did when she lost.
I'm glad that in your one year of membership you have deduced that this forum hates female candidates who lose. Give one other example of this before you make your hackish claims. Sink lost because she was an idiot. Just like Romney lost because he was an idiot.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #389 on: April 15, 2014, 03:39:56 PM »

I'm glad that in your one year of membership you have deduced that this forum hates female candidates who lose. Give one other example of this before you make your hackish claims. Sink lost because she was an idiot. Just like Romney lost because he was an idiot.

I don't see where I'm being a hack as this applies to my fellow Democrats as much as Republicans.

Wendy Davis and Hillary Clinton have been largely characterized as dumb and bitchy, respectively, multiple times all over this forum. And while I really don't like Colleen Hanabusa, some of the criticisms of here have been downright sexist.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #390 on: April 15, 2014, 03:41:31 PM »

I don't see where I'm being a hack as this applies to my fellow Democrats as much as Republicans.

Wendy Davis and Hillary Clinton have been largely characterized as dumb and bitchy, respectively, multiple times all over this forum. And while I really don't like Colleen Hanabusa, some of the criticisms of here have been downright sexist.
The only sexist attack on Hanabusa I have seen was from a female poster. And men get criticized all the time here in the same manner. Female politicians are not above criticism because of their gender.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #391 on: April 15, 2014, 06:30:37 PM »

I doubt any Democrat wins this seat in 2014, with an incumbent in place, it would be hard to do. Plus, it's drawn for a Republican, it doesn't matter if Obama won it, it's not a Democratic seat.

We've been over this before and I question why I continue to try, but this seat was drawn for a Republican (Bill Young). It wasn't drawn for any Republican. It's a winnable seat by any measure.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #392 on: April 15, 2014, 06:36:35 PM »

We've been over this before and I question why I continue to try, but this seat was drawn for a Republican (Bill Young). It wasn't drawn for any Republican. It's a winnable seat by any measure.

You don't need to repeat yourself, I saw what you posted before. It's certainly is a seat that is winnable for a Republican other than Bill Young, which is why it is held by a Republican right now.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #393 on: April 15, 2014, 06:47:23 PM »

You don't need to repeat yourself, I saw what you posted before. It's certainly is a seat that is winnable for a Republican other than Bill Young, which is why it is held by a Republican right now.

I still don't see how you can take the fact a seat is held by a Republican right now and has been won by a Republican in the past and use that to say it's a Republican seat. By that logic CA-31's a Republican seat.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #394 on: April 15, 2014, 06:51:39 PM »

They almost certainly would've, if he had lost the Governors race against someone with billion dollar medicare fraud, and then lost a very winnable house race. Let's be real.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #395 on: April 15, 2014, 06:57:05 PM »

I still don't see how you can take the fact a seat is held by a Republican right now and has been won by a Republican in the past and use that to say it's a Republican seat. By that logic CA-31's a Republican seat.

CA-31 went Republican because no Democrat was present in the general election, that's not that case with FL-13. FL-13 is R+2, CA-31 is D+6, that's a big difference. Democrats can win R+2 seats, but not with ease.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #396 on: April 15, 2014, 07:01:13 PM »

CA-31 went Republican because no Democrat was present in the general election, that's not that case with FL-13. FL-13 is R+2, CA-31 is D+6, that's a big difference. Democrats can win R+2 seats, but not with ease.

It's R+1. Same as FL-26, less than FL-18. This is a very winnable seat, as was demonstrated by FL Dems winning seats with similar numbers last cycle.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #397 on: April 15, 2014, 07:05:23 PM »

It's R+1. Same as FL-26, less than FL-18. This is a very winnable seat, as was demonstrated by FL Dems winning seats with similar numbers last cycle.

Seats won with presidential level turnout, and I seriously doubt Sink would have lost if turnout had been at presidential level (which isn't really possible in a special).
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #398 on: April 18, 2014, 12:34:54 PM »

Ehrlich is in.

Deep breaths, Democrats. We've got redemption on our hands.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #399 on: April 18, 2014, 12:44:00 PM »

Ehrlich is in.

Deep breaths, Democrats. We've got redemption on our hands.
I hope this time, Emily List will endorse her INDEFINITELY.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies