Alex Sink running for Bill Young's old house seat (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:31:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Alex Sink running for Bill Young's old house seat (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Alex Sink running for Bill Young's old house seat  (Read 40900 times)
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: March 10, 2014, 03:20:07 PM »

49.3% Sink, 47.5% Jolly, 3.2% Overby
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 06:30:45 PM »

Absolutely disgusting. The Florida Democrats need to be razed from the ground up.

Yes, fine, let's run a lazy, failed candidate AGAIN for an ultra-valuable House seat. Let's see how well that does! After all, she's the one who's leading in the polls!

The only thing going for us in the state is Patrick Murphy and MAYBE Gwen Graham (if Bobby can help). The rest of the FL Democrats don't deserve to be near anything to do with politics ever again.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 06:37:26 PM »

Absolutely disgusting. The Florida Democrats need to be razed from the ground up.

Yes, fine, let's run a lazy, failed candidate AGAIN for an ultra-valuable House seat. Let's see how well that does! After all, she's the one who's leading in the polls!

The only thing going for us in the state is Patrick Murphy and MAYBE Gwen Graham (if Bobby can help). The rest of the FL Democrats don't deserve to be near anything to do with politics ever again.

You forget that Sink had lots of money.

Money doesn't mean sh*t. Sheldon Adelson spent millions on eight candidates, and one only won because he faced a horrifically corrupt Democrat.

You can't blame Sink, this district is a rigged gerrymander, blame the Republican legislature for breaking the rules of the redistricting amendment.

This is an Obama district. Especially considering the candidate screams Washington, DC, she had absolutely no business losing this seat.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 07:20:57 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2014, 07:27:14 PM by Sawxsylvania »

Alright. Now that I made some thoughts, I'd like to comment to more at length on the disaster known as the FL-13 race. The Florida Democratic Party needs to be razed from the ground up. Keep Murphy, Nelson, and MAYBE Gwen Graham. After tonight, the rest can get the f**k out for COMPLETE AND UTTER INCOMPETENCE.

So, a rare swing district in Florida (IIRC 6 out of 27 districts, one of them being held down by a longtime moderate incumbent) opens up after the second longtime moderate incumbent dies. Republicans were essentially set to nominate David Jolly, a DC lobbyist, legal counselor to Bill Young, and vehicular killer with little ties to the district. Normal logic would say to run a good candidate who represents the Tampa Bay area and spends their time there, like a county commissioner or an attorney who made a surprise run at the seat last cycle.

But Florida Democrats follow a different type of logic. Florida Democrats' logic would be that running a lazy, failed candidate who lost to a slimy criminal and doesn't even live in the district would result in a pickup, and pouring obscene amounts of money into the race would flip this seat into her hands. Naturally, Alex Sink decided that spending all of her money on ads and having about as much presence in her suddenly-new home as she did while Bill Young was a better way to spend her resources, and to attack Jolly on the issues instead of the fact that he's essentially Washington, DC personified. Instead of being principled, she did her best Tea Party impression when it came to immigration,  So thirty minutes ago, I watched the worst-case scenario unfold: Florida Democrats, one again, screwed the pooch.

Same thing with Rick Scott: normal logic would say to run a clean, honest candidate against a shady businessman who treats the state second to his old business this November to ensure a win, like one of the many Democratic mayors. Florida Democrat logic would be to run an ex-Republican who only turned Democratic to win back the office that he left in his last failed run. Now, my fears are starting to cook up again: same sh**t happens again, Crist loses to Scott, and Florida continues down the road of becoming the Hospital Corporation of America's business subsidary.

Yes, the district was a little gerrymandered. Yes, it was a special election. But this district was also an Obama 2012, D-trending district where the last candidate broke 40% against a man who spent half of his entire life serving the district that loved him. When he died, this seat had a very good chance to go Democratic, especially against Jolly. Then, Alex Sink came along and once again, snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Florida Democrats should be ashamed.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 07:27:56 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2014, 07:29:53 PM by Sawxsylvania »

Then, Alex Sink came along and once again, snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. Florida Democrats should be ashamed.
I think you mean defeat from the jaws of victory

Good catch. I'm kind of in the middle of ranting/raging/even saging right now.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 11:44:42 PM »

Ehrlich 2016. That's all I need to say.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 05:17:45 PM »

Time to bump this horror-show of a thread.

Alex Sink is still considering a rematch against Jolly.

The article also mentions that Sink's internal polling always showed the race much closer than the public polls were saying (Much like McAuliffe's internals last year) and that Sink's camp primarily blames their loss on not getting the turnout they needed.

GOD DAMNIT
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 08:34:18 PM »

Sink is the only Democrat to win a constitutional office in Florida this century, so I don't see her as a bad candidate. Besides, I read that the DCCC wants her to run again and they don't usually want poor candidates to run again.
The "best" candidate doesn't mean they are a lock. 'She ain't goin nowhere!

Who said she was a lock? I never put that in my post.
That was not directed at you as much as the faint light at the end of the tunnel that you were desperately trying to scratch with the tip of your finger nail to feed your hackish fantasies. I don't even know why the DCCC is wasting money on this seat. They need to hold Murphy and Garcia. Murphy is the only hope the FL Democrats really have besides the Republican their running this year.
Gwen Graham says hello.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 11:42:42 AM »

Sink will not run in the General

My fellow Democrats can now begin cheering because it was COMPLETELY her fault and she deserves to die in a hole for losing /borderline-misogynist

Uhh... I've already said multiple times that my preferred candidate is Ehrlich. You know my issue with Alex Sink, and crying misogyny isn't going to work with me.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 11:47:57 AM »
« Edited: April 15, 2014, 12:20:20 PM by Sawx »

If you can get under a 15% margin against Young, you're doing something right.

I for one think she has a good chance at taking this seat now.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 12:34:54 PM »

Ehrlich is in.

Deep breaths, Democrats. We've got redemption on our hands.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 09:52:36 PM »

Ah, but that would imply I'm an Emily's List fan (which I've already stated my qualms with too many times).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies