Alex Sink running for Bill Young's old house seat (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:21:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Alex Sink running for Bill Young's old house seat (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Alex Sink running for Bill Young's old house seat  (Read 40892 times)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« on: March 11, 2014, 03:27:14 PM »

SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 06:29:13 PM »

Jolly is up by a little more than 2K, and with>90% of precincts reporting, I think this is over
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 07:25:48 PM »

Alright. Now that I made some thoughts, I'd like to comment to more at length on the disaster known as the FL-13 race. The Florida Democratic Party needs to be razed from the ground up. Keep Murphy, Nelson, and MAYBE Gwen Graham. After tonight, the rest can get the f**k out for COMPLETE AND UTTER INCOMPETENCE.

So, a rare swing district in Florida (IIRC 6 out of 27 districts, one of them being held down by a longtime moderate incumbent) opens up after the second longtime moderate incumbent dies. Republicans were essentially set to nominate David Jolly, a DC lobbyist, legal counselor to Bill Young, and vehicular killer with little ties to the district. Normal logic would say to run a good candidate who represents the Tampa Bay area and spends their time there, like a county commissioner or an attorney who made a surprise run at the seat last cycle.

But Florida Democrats follow a different type of logic. Florida Democrats' logic would be that running a lazy, failed candidate who lost to a slimy criminal and doesn't even live in the district would result in a pickup, and pouring obscene amounts of money into the race would flip this seat into her hands. Naturally, Alex Sink decided that spending all of her money on ads and having about as much presence in her suddenly-new home as she did while Bill Young was a better way to spend her resources, and to attack Jolly on the issues instead of the fact that he's essentially Washington, DC personified. Instead of being principled, she did her best Tea Party impression when it came to immigration,  So thirty minutes ago, I watched the worst-case scenario unfold: Florida Democrats, one again, screwed the pooch.

Same thing with Rick Scott: normal logic would say to run a clean, honest candidate against a shady businessman who treats the state second to his old business this November to ensure a win, like one of the many Democratic mayors. Florida Democrat logic would be to run an ex-Republican who only turned Democratic to win back the office that he left in his last failed run. Now, my fears are starting to cook up again: same sh**t happens again, Crist loses to Scott, and Florida continues down the road of becoming the Hospital Corporation of America's business subsidary.

Yes, the district was a little gerrymandered. Yes, it was a special election. But this district was also an Obama 2012, D-trending district where the last candidate broke 40% against a man who spent half of his entire life serving the district that loved him. When he died, this seat had a very good chance to go Democratic, especially against Jolly. Then, Alex Sink came along and once again, snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. Florida Democrats should be ashamed.
I think you mean defeat from the jaws of victory
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 08:58:13 PM »

Excellent outcome. A Jolly good night Smiley
Haha I get it's a play on words
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length