Alex Sink running for Bill Young's old house seat (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:41:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Alex Sink running for Bill Young's old house seat (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Alex Sink running for Bill Young's old house seat  (Read 40825 times)
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« on: March 11, 2014, 06:27:57 PM »

Gerrymandering works, what a freaking surprise.
Yes, it may have been a small factor, but you lost because you nominated a horrible nominee.  You threw one away.  Should have had Rick Kriseman run instead of mayor.  You would have a house seat then.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 06:33:05 PM »

Yes, it may have been a small factor, but you lost because you nominated a horrible nominee.  You threw one away.  Should have had Rick Kriseman run instead of mayor.  You would have a house seat then.

No, you won because the legislature cut out black voters and used water continuity to pack them. You really think Jolly would have won if the whole of St. Pete was in the district?
I know it was a factor, but not the main one.  You still, even with the gerrymander should have won the seat.  Jolly is a bad candidate, but Sink is worse.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 06:38:05 PM »

Nope, gerrymandering one the seat for Republicans. There is no way any Democrat was going to win this seat in a special elections. Republicans knew what they were doing when they drew this district.
No, you won because the legislature cut out black voters and used water continuity to pack them. You really think Jolly would have won if the whole of St. Pete was in the district?
I know it was a factor, but not the main one.  You still, even with the gerrymander should have won the seat.  Jolly is a bad candidate, but Sink is worse.
I completely disagree.  This was a winnable seat, especially with the candidate we ran.  It comes down to who you nominated.  She grabbed defeat out of the jaws of Victory.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 06:42:37 PM »

Nope, gerrymandering one the seat for Republicans. There is no way any Democrat was going to win this seat in a special elections. Republicans knew what they were doing when they drew this district.
I completely disagree.  This was a winnable seat, especially with the candidate we ran.  It comes down to who you nominated.  She grabbed defeat out of the jaws of Victory.

It wasn't going to flip, period. Democrats can't win these sort of seats in low turnout special elections, not without other factors at play.

Wrong again.  Obama won this district.  There were many better candidates on both sides.  You just nominated the wrong one.  Stop making excuses for it, she sucks, and I hope the FL Democratic party does not make the same mistake and nominate her for anything. 
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 06:48:19 PM »

It wasn't going to flip, period. Democrats can't win these sort of seats in low turnout special elections, not without other factors at play.

Wrong again.  Obama won this district.  There were many better candidates on both sides.  You just nominated the wrong one.  Stop making excuses for it, she sucks, and I hope the FL Democratic party does not make the same mistake and nominate her for anything. 

The district voted as it was drawn to vote, it's as simple as that. The Republican legislature knew what it was doing when it drew this district. Obama may have won it, but that was with higher turnout.
The district was drawn for Bill Young, yes, but it is trending democratic fast.  It should have been a pickup for you guys, even in a low turnout election.  You could have, and should have won.  It is Sinks fault you didn't, simple as that.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 06:54:05 PM »

The district voted as it was drawn to vote, it's as simple as that. The Republican legislature knew what it was doing when it drew this district. Obama may have won it, but that was with higher turnout.
The district was drawn for Bill Young, yes, but it is trending democratic fast.  It should have been a pickup for you guys, even in a low turnout election.  You could have, and should have won.  It is Sinks fault you didn't, simple as that.

Bill Young was a Republican and at his age, the legislature couldn't have expected him to be there that much longer, so it was drawn with a Republican advantage period. Young might have won it un-gerrymandered, but that's something we'll never know.

Yes, we will never know.  Can I ask, why are you making excuses for Sink?  It is her fault.  Rick Kriseman would have easily won this district against jolly.

Someone at RRH said that this seat would be more Democratic with a fair map, but others, like Murphy's, would get more Republican.

True.  But, I think the map could have been much worse if the redistrict amendment had not passed. 
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 06:59:53 PM »

Bill Young was a Republican and at his age, the legislature couldn't have expected him to be there that much longer, so it was drawn with a Republican advantage period. Young might have won it un-gerrymandered, but that's something we'll never know.

Yes, we will never know.  Can I ask, why are you making excuses for Sink?  It is her fault.  Rick Kriseman would have easily won this district against jolly.

Someone at RRH said that this seat would be more Democratic with a fair map, but others, like Murphy's, would get more Republican.

True.  But, I think the map could have been much worse if the redistrict amendment had not passed. 

I'm not making excuses, I'm pointing out the makeup of the district. Even Charlie Crist probably wouldn't have won that seat in a special election.

Charlie Crist would not have won, but for different reason than it was a special election.  She lost it, not the district makeup.  It was a winnable race, simple as that.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 07:01:22 PM »

Between Democratic boo-hooing and Republican taunting, I'm probably going to take a break from the forum for the next week.

All I'm going to say is that I hope the DCCC is calling up names not named Alex Sink.
Agreed, it is pissing me off that people are boo-hooing over the district.  I hope krazen doesn't post here also. 
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 07:03:59 PM »

Democrats need to make this seat a priority in November, with Sink or otherwise. Jolly won't be entrenched and Crist will carry the district.
They need to, this district part of their path to a house majority.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 07:16:49 PM »

Between Democratic boo-hooing and Republican taunting, I'm probably going to take a break from the forum for the next week.

All I'm going to say is that I hope the DCCC is calling up names not named Alex Sink.
Agreed, it is pissing me off that people are boo-hooing over the district.  I hope krazen doesn't post here also. 

I didn't mean to piss you off with my own comment, but I needed to say it to get out the disappointment. Fortunately, it looks like it was all I needed to say.

I can understand why would piss you off, though. I've already had to put a certain couple of posters on ignore because of their excessive boo-hooing clogging up the thread.
It is really not making one post boo-hooing, it is continuing on and on about it, and then making excuses for the defeat.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies