Opinion of people raised Catholic who don't identify as Catholic anymore
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:31:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of people raised Catholic who don't identify as Catholic anymore
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Opinion of people raised Catholic who don't identify as Catholic anymore
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Opinion of people raised Catholic who don't identify as Catholic anymore  (Read 5194 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2013, 01:43:07 AM »

Haha, well the scene says this and the scene says that

Where do you think almost all of my political views and outlook on society developed from?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2013, 01:43:48 AM »

Haha, well the scene says this and the scene says that

Where do you think almost all of my political views and outlook on society developed from?

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2013, 01:45:58 AM »

The scene while I was getting into it and developing those views in high school. That's the point. Also the source of a lot of my quirks such of my extreme hatred of metal music.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2013, 01:50:20 AM »

The scene while I was getting into it and developing those views in high school. That's the point. Also the source of a lot of my quirks such of my extreme hatred of metal music.

So the views of your youth still inform your present ideas? Ok. got it. good.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2013, 01:59:29 AM »

More like I haven't heard any persuasive counter-arguments since.

Point is can't people accept there are hordes of people that place virtually no value whatsoever on culture and tradition? And it's obviously not just a Minneapolis thing, after all just about every major city has some neighborhood like the part of Minneapolis I live in, so add all of those together and that's TONS of people. Yeah it's not "Real America" but that's what I like about it.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2013, 02:16:58 AM »

Amazingly, not everybody from a given place subscribes to the worldview predominant in that place. I'm sure there is at least one non-practicing cultural Catholic who identifies as such in Minneapolis, too. Probably more than one.

That's true yes. My point though is that too many act like the non-Minneapolis standard is universal.

And they're wrong in that.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I do, but I also think you're still sort of diminishing what these people actually think, although that may be because mainlining so much Japanese anthropological theory over the past few years has prejudiced me against the notion that personal freedom and fulfilling prescribed roles have to be mutually exclusive (although it's certainly obvious that they can be).

Part of the reason is that type of thinking simply does not make ANY sense to me. AT ALL. I simply can't comprehend it. What the f[inks] does "having some vestige of cultural tradition and history" even mean? Like seriously![/quote]

That actually is something quite unusual about you. Most people actually have a fairly good intuitive understanding of what that means, regardless of their feelings about it. I'd try to explain it to you but I get the feeling that if it were the sort of thing that's possible to explain to someone who doesn't Get It intuitively--and again, please understand that you're really unusual in that, although probably not quite alone--somebody would have succeeded already, since you bring this up a lot. In all honesty, not understanding what 'having some vestige of cultural tradition and history' means, even as an abstract concept or something that appeals to Other People in Other Places, doesn't make ANY SENSE TO ME AT ALL, either, so I'm at a loss as to how to respond to this except to point out that mocking people for personality traits that you don't understand because you don't understand them is in poor taste.

Okay but they're are also often what give root to a sense of constancy, mental and interpersonal stability, safety, and togetherness of what a lot of people feel is a more natural or organic variety than what 'the scene' is typically able to provide. Constancy, stability, safety, and togetherness appeal to a lot of people. A lot.

Well at least you admit this, and that does sound like a more reasonable attitude, but your complete bafflement at the fact that other people disagree with it is still concerning.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2013, 02:24:51 AM »

[deep breaths pat]  You do place value on your culture and tradition and said so only a couple of posts above. And yet you just spin it off into another tangent of the week.

I really have nothing to contribute as this is 9000x you've gnawed on this bone. Why do you insist on this repetition? Why the bereft of empathy? Why the narcissism? Why am I playing armchair shrink... why
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2013, 02:30:41 AM »

[deep breaths pat]  You do place value on your culture and tradition and said so only a couple of posts above. And yet you just spin it off into another tangent of the week.

That actually tends to happen a lot when i'm drinking, haha.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2013, 02:45:04 AM »

That actually tends to happen a lot when i'm drinking, haha.

Yep, used to that too. Anyway, Merry Christmas BRTD. My wish is that you would just try to see things from other people's viewpoint now and again.  Not everyone has to share your opinions.  Life would be utterly boring if we all thought the same way about music, movies, politics et al. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies