The People's White House: Duke Administration (On my Farewell)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:30:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The People's White House: Duke Administration (On my Farewell)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12
Author Topic: The People's White House: Duke Administration (On my Farewell)  (Read 17892 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: May 06, 2014, 03:16:58 PM »

I don't know. I know the VP can serve in the cabinet, but I'm not sure if someone can hold 2 positions at once.

With that said, few people want to be GM. Simfan has long wanted the job even when I passed over him for Adam, so I am inclined to give it to him. If it is illegal, I will issue an executive order making it legal.

That, or we let the GM position sit empty. There is nothing more I can do outside of calling in a favor from an old friend, and I don't want to force anyone back into this job.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #226 on: May 06, 2014, 03:31:20 PM »

Had the Stupid Senate not barred the GM from being the only cabinet member who can't serve in an elected position at the same time, we wouldn't have had this problem. Sad
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #227 on: May 06, 2014, 03:34:41 PM »

Perhaps I am biased, Senator, but I don't see this as a problem. Tongue
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #228 on: May 06, 2014, 06:16:55 PM »

I'm personally uncomfortable with the idea of the GM holding another office - especially considering Simfan's role as Attorney General is to defend and support the administration legally, it'd raise troubling questions about a potential conflict of interest if he was simultaneously serving as an ideally independent GM.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #229 on: May 06, 2014, 06:17:49 PM »

The GM isn't a member of the Cabinet.

But is barred from being a member of the cabinet.  I blame myself for this Tongue
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #230 on: May 06, 2014, 06:18:48 PM »

Did Simfan ever actually swear in as Attorney General, come to think of it?
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #231 on: May 06, 2014, 06:19:52 PM »

Did Simfan ever actually swear in as Attorney General, come to think of it?

No, we were using him to make sure the Pacific Stimulus was finalized. 
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #232 on: May 06, 2014, 06:37:26 PM »

I will resign the Attorney General-ship if there is an executive action transferring, temporarily if not permanently, the wiki-master responsibilities to the GM.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #233 on: May 06, 2014, 07:36:24 PM »

That seems like an ideal solution, Simfan. Good luck with the new position!
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #234 on: May 06, 2014, 09:13:14 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2014, 09:15:50 PM by Sen. Griffin (LAB-NB) »

The GM isn't a member of the Cabinet.

I just assumed the Wiki was right*.

*I didn't notice the asterisk before
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #235 on: May 07, 2014, 03:43:08 PM »

I just want to make it known that my administration will consider ourselves above the law at this stage of our time in office. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Handsome boys call for bold solutions.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #236 on: May 11, 2014, 02:41:29 AM »

I graduate from law school tomorrow. I will return to regularly scheduled programming on Monday. I likely will not be sober enough to say anything of substance tomorrow.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #237 on: May 22, 2014, 06:14:54 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2014, 06:17:10 PM by President Duke »

On Healthcare

I think the time has come that we actually do something about healthcare. It's pretty clear that something needs to be done, and while it would be easy for me to just kick this proverbial can down the road to the next administration, I don't like taking the easy way out. I am here to grab the sack of this country and juggle it between my hands.

I want to open a discussion here and see what we want and how we want it, and I want to keep you all updated on my views and current studies.

I've been reading pretty extensively about the Singapore healthcare system over the last few days. It has been ranked by many as one of the most efficient systems in the world. It may not be viable in a country this size, but I think it's worth discussing.

It involves three levels - first, a single payer system funded by a payroll tax, where the government pays for 80% of the care in public hospitals. Second, there is a mandated public savings account for individuals, where employers and employees contribute money each month that is saved for healthcare procedures. These funds are tracked individually but can be pooled for use by extended family members, as they all go to a single, government run fund. Third is a catastrophic fund, which is optional, where a person can purchase it in the event their savings account doesn't cover their needs. Forth is a fund set aside for the poor that cannot afford to pay any on their medical bills.

Private supplemental insurance also exists under this system, and the government sets the policies and prices.

My main goal here is to keep costs low, make the system more efficient, but not destroy our flagship private university hospitals in the process.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #238 on: May 22, 2014, 06:47:48 PM »

I don't see how it can be labeled single payer when it covers 80% and someone else pays the remaining 20%. Can we atleast get some more accurate terminology to use. Single payer is such a controversial phrase and it is become a euphemism for any kind of a national healthcare system in some places.

The savings accounts portion interests me though, and the use of the payroll tax is not unlike what the present system uses and what the framework shua and I are working on uses.

The biggest difference is that our plan would allow for lateral competition amongst plans as opposed to the tiered system (gov't pays first X% followed by supplemental plans) like both the present system uses and that example you cite (In fact that only different between that model and the present design of Fritzcare is that Singapore has one level of reimbursement for coverage as opposed to a sliding scale of covered benefit and none of those savings account components).
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #239 on: May 22, 2014, 07:00:34 PM »

2012 Fritzcare               Singapore Model    Framework Shua and I are Making.
1. Limited Market/Supplemental Only                           Market Competing Public Option
2. Sliding Scale Benefit        Singular Benefit level        Sliding Scale Premium Subsidy
3. Insurance and Payroll     Payroll                               Payroll and Insurance (subject to change)
4. No Savings Accounts       PSA and OCF                     TBD
5. Fully Covered                  Doesn't Appear to Be        Fully Covered
6. Disaster                          Discourages Private          Doesn't Distinguish                          

1. Insurance Market Structure
2. Benefit Structure.
3. Taxes
4. Savings Accounts Present.
5. Preventative Care.
6. Treatment of Hospitals Private vs. Public.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #240 on: May 23, 2014, 12:26:53 AM »

I'm OK with government intervention here. Sometimes the government can be good in some things. I don't know if the Singapore model can work here, but I think it's worth discussing mainly because of its efficiency, and I LOVE efficient systems. Singapore has both private and public hospitals, and that fulfills a goal of mine when it comes to solving this problem. I am not in favor of nationalizing all hospitals, if I haven't made that clear already.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #241 on: May 23, 2014, 07:01:25 PM »

I'm OK with government intervention here. Sometimes the government can be good in some things. I don't know if the Singapore model can work here, but I think it's worth discussing mainly because of its efficiency, and I LOVE efficient systems. Singapore has both private and public hospitals, and that fulfills a goal of mine when it comes to solving this problem. I am not in favor of nationalizing all hospitals, if I haven't made that clear already.

I am fine with some level of intervention as well. WE need to cover the poor and we need to cover preventative care.

It has both, but you posted that the coverage level that 80% is for public only. That means private hospitals would be at a severe disadvantage. How many private hospitals are there in Singapore as a percent of the whole? I would guess very few, because the system as you describe would eventually lead to a closed system, with privates shut out. Once again it also couldn't be singlepayer, because if it were, then the very system you cite as having private hospitals would not unless that is a class of private insurance ou there that covers care at private hospitals.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #242 on: May 23, 2014, 07:12:12 PM »

I support the Singapore model entirely. Not only in healthcare, but in all walks of governance.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #243 on: May 26, 2014, 10:39:14 AM »

On Memorial Day

Friends,

I wanted to take a moment to wish you all a happy, safe and boozy Memorial Day. Today, we sit back and celebrate and honor those who FIGHT for our FREEDOM to drink beer and lay women whenever and however we want.

I also want to take this moment to memorialize the Winfield/AndrewTX ticket. As many of you know, Andrew and I have been married for years now and been co-presidents for longer than many of you have played this game. The death of his ticket was a death blow to The People, as they exemplified the smile, love and compassion They demand. Sure, he will resurrect someday, but I ask we take a moment of silence in his honor.

As for me, this is my last holiday address to you as your Presidentunless I suspend the election. As I watch the tears flow amongst those here today, I want you all to know I will never leave you; I will always be here to listen; and I will always love you.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #244 on: May 27, 2014, 06:23:50 AM »

Awe, luv u boo!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #245 on: June 12, 2014, 11:28:12 AM »

Honoring the death of the Era of Good Feeling

Friends,

It is with great sadness that I announce today the death of the Era of Good Feeling. As many of you know, this Era began in October when the gays, the workers, the poors, the riches, and pops, the uglies, the dumbs and the smarts all joined hands to begin working towards a greater union. Many people hailed this as the Era of Good Feeling, to give a name to the harmony that existed between all branches of government.

But all good things come to an end. Yours truly has experienced the end of his life recently. I haven't had a drink in weeks; I haven't been to a social gathering in weeks; and finally, I haven't showered since Monday. My days consist of waking up, drinking coffee, watching 6 hour videos on various legal fields, and then studying an outline until I go to bed in a pool of my own tears. It's no surprise that the end of my social life has paralleled the death of the EGF.

To the candidates and parties involved, I encourage you all to turn up the heat even more. Don't stop at a few threads. Litter this place with attacks. We must make up for lost time, and it will provide me entertainment during my darkest of hours.

Until next time Purple heart,

Duke
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #246 on: June 15, 2014, 10:12:33 AM »

on Iraq

As many of you know, the situation in Iraq has, regrettably, been in a tailspin over the last few weeks. Insurgencies have arisen, causing instability, unrest and the potential for a government takeover by a terrorist regime.

I have met with Iraqi leaders and my administration is working on a response to the crisis. While war is something no one here wants, we must take steps to ensure that the country does not collapse and fall into the wrong hands. Many of you may argue it is none of our business, but no one in the world wants to see Iraq turn into a base station for international terrorist groups. No option has been ruled out, but we are proceeding carefully.

As always, I will keep you updated on our status.

Love and peace,

Duke
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #247 on: June 15, 2014, 05:53:32 PM »

Update on Iraqi Situation

Hello dear friends and enemies alike,

I know many of you are too engrossed in the polling to pay attention, but we have a crisis here developing, and as long as I am your fearless leader, we must act to protect our homeless and our interests abroad.

Today, in cooperation with my SoEA, Superique, and various other individuals, I am here to announce that Atlasia will begin conducting airstrikes in Iraq in order to support the government from the onslaught attacks of the terrorist rebels. These will be carried out by our Air Force and drone attacks. In addition, we will provide intelligence support to the Iraqi Armed Forces to bolster their defenses against the rebels.

Finally, my administration is prepared to ask the senate for authorization to use the following:

1. The 20 Predator Drones and the 10 Sentinel Drones are going to have their delivery speeded up and may arrive in Iraq in 5 days.
2. AS President Purple State (CVN-77) aircraft is heading towards the Persian Gulf immediately.
3. More than 100 CIA technicians and agents are moving to Iraq in order to help the Iraqi Armed Forces with the drones and with war strategy.
4. $200 million being considered for humanitarian (70 mi) and military (130 mi) to the Iraqi Government and 50 million dollars worth of direct delivery of Atlasian Military armament to the Iraqi Armed Forces.

SoEA Superique is visiting our allies in the region in order to build an international coalition of support to stabilize the region. We will continue to actively monitor the situation and do what we feel is best not only for the people of Atlasia, but for the region and world as a whole. I intend to personally work as best I can to get other allies onboard, because this crisis effects all of us. We cannot afford to have Iraq fall into the hands of the wrong group, regardless of how one felt about the original war in this country.

Rest assured, I will keep you updated. Any questions you may have, please post them here, and look forward to an announcement in more detail for SoEA Superique.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #248 on: June 15, 2014, 11:16:04 PM »

An article will be released tomorrow.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #249 on: June 16, 2014, 12:05:45 AM »

From where in the Constitution do you derive the authority to do this?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies