The People's White House: Duke Administration (On my Farewell)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:27:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The People's White House: Duke Administration (On my Farewell)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12
Author Topic: The People's White House: Duke Administration (On my Farewell)  (Read 17882 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: June 16, 2014, 12:12:54 AM »

From where in the Constitution do you derive the authority to do this?

If I'm not mistaken, President Duke stated he will ask the Senate for authorization in some regards, and since he is the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces and the Constitution is ambiguous to that role, I believe he is entitled to do everything he has announced so far.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #251 on: June 16, 2014, 01:01:58 AM »

From where in the Constitution do you derive the authority to do this?

If I'm not mistaken, President Duke stated he will ask the Senate for authorization in some regards, and since he is the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces and the Constitution is ambiguous to that role, I believe he is entitled to do everything he has announced so far.
I was referring to the airstrikes.

Is there any precedent for this?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #252 on: June 16, 2014, 10:15:21 AM »

I can go on a bombing raid for 30 days without congressional authority. Following this, I need Senate authorization, which I have already said I will seek. Don't worry, we haven't done anything yet!
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #253 on: June 16, 2014, 10:16:28 AM »

I can go on a bombing raid for 30 days without congressional authority. Following this, I need Senate authorization, which I have already said I will seek. Don't worry, we haven't done anything yet!

Yes and we're sending an aircraft to the region, which doesn't mean whatsoever that we're bombing Iraq by now... =P
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #254 on: June 16, 2014, 03:25:56 PM »

I can go on a bombing raid for 30 days without congressional authority.
What gives you this authority?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #255 on: June 16, 2014, 03:33:56 PM »

The war powers resolution says I, as president, can conduct limited strikes as long as they are limited in scope and duration, which these will be. Also, nothing has begun yet, so I can very well ask the senate for authorization.

I am laying out our plan. Don't start panicking yet. I won't walk all over the constitution anymore than I already have.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #256 on: June 16, 2014, 03:47:16 PM »

The war powers resolution says I, as president, can conduct limited strikes as long as they are limited in scope and duration, which these will be. Also, nothing has begun yet, so I can very well ask the senate for authorization.

I am laying out our plan. Don't start panicking yet. I won't walk all over the constitution anymore than I already have.
When will the airstrikes and/or drone attacks begin? Will you request Senatorial authorization for those as well, or will you commence with them regardless? Where will the $200 million in aid come from?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #257 on: June 16, 2014, 06:16:04 PM »

When will the airstrikes and/or drone attacks begin? Will you request Senatorial authorization for those as well, or will you commence with them regardless? Where will the $200 million in aid come from?

We haven't made the final decision on when they will begin. Rest assured, my administration is working closely with our friends and allies abroad and at home to ensure these strikes are as surgical as possible.

I will request Senate authorization for the $200 million in aid and for all other operations we may need to conduct that fall outside of my constitutional authority.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #258 on: June 16, 2014, 08:37:24 PM »

We haven't made the final decision on when they will begin. Rest assured, my administration is working closely with our friends and allies abroad and at home to ensure these strikes are as surgical as possible.

I will request Senate authorization for the $200 million in aid and for all other operations we may need to conduct that fall outside of my constitutional authority.
This implies that you have constitutional authority to conduct airstrikes and drone attacks without Senatorial authorization. From where in the Constitution do you derive this authority?

Also, where will the $200 million come from?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #259 on: June 17, 2014, 11:10:07 AM »

This implies that you have constitutional authority to conduct airstrikes and drone attacks without Senatorial authorization. From where in the Constitution do you derive this authority?

Also, where will the $200 million come from?

I have already answered your question. Also, I have not begun the airstrikes and I have said I am going to request authorization from the Senate. My administration is all about stretching the law, not breaking it, rest assured.

As for your last question, if you're looking for a detailed statement on where the money will come from, I hate to break it to you, but this is a game, and we don't exactly have detailed financial statements showing where the money we spend is coming from or how much we are borrowing. Sorry to disappoint you! But my best guess is, the money is coming from either the taxpayers or our creditors, just take your pick.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #260 on: June 19, 2014, 11:27:53 PM »

On Voting

Friends,

I know many of you are saddened by the error that left both Andrew and me off the ballot, and I know that further, you are saddened that Duke/Cinci is constitutionally barred from running again, and that we did not suspend the elections due to the unrest in Iraq.

However, all of that aside, I urge all of you to do your civic duty tonight and this weekend and go vote. I will say more later, but in the twilight of my two terms in office, I want to thank all of you for dealing with me and for helping me over the last few months and over the years, as I am staring retirement firmly in the face after nearly 6 years playing this game.

So chins up, eyes wide, and happy voting!
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #261 on: June 20, 2014, 12:05:41 AM »

Dukey, what do you plan on doing after your term is up??
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #262 on: June 20, 2014, 02:05:29 AM »

Nope. You gotta get the declaration of war before you can do anything
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #263 on: June 20, 2014, 11:48:29 AM »

I'll happily be joining the Dead President's Society! But who knows. I may run for a House seat if we can pass that plan, but I'll be retiring from public office for a while otherwise.

Nope. You gotta get the declaration of war before you can do anything

I'm going to miss you when I leave office, sweet JCL!
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #264 on: June 21, 2014, 01:24:55 AM »
« Edited: June 21, 2014, 01:35:04 AM by Jack Enderman »

I'll happily be joining the Dead President's Society! But who knows. I may run for a House seat if we can pass that plan, but I'll be retiring from public office for a while otherwise.

I'd like to talk to you about that. Also, we're you constitutionally limited for a third presidentiall run? If not, why two terms?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #265 on: June 21, 2014, 01:33:11 AM »

I'd like to talk to you about that. Also, we're you constitutuopionqlly limited for a third presidentiall run? If not, why two terms?

Presidents are limited to two consecutive terms, but are not limited to two terms as a whole. In other words, he could run and potentially serve two more terms in Oct 14/Feb 15.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #266 on: June 21, 2014, 01:34:26 AM »

I'd like to talk to you about that. Also, we're you constitutuopionqlly limited for a third presidentiall run? If not, why two terms?

Presidents are limited to two consecutive terms, but are not limited to two terms as a whole. In other words, he could run and potentially serve two more terms in Oct 14/Feb 15.

Oh okay...
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #267 on: June 21, 2014, 01:48:41 PM »

Yes and even if I was allowed to run again, I wouldn't. I haven't the energy nor the time to dedicated to the job with the bar and then job interviewing approaching. I've tried my best to remain active as best I can until the next president takes office.

This old boy is heading out to pasture...
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #268 on: June 21, 2014, 06:29:03 PM »

I should've told you this earlier: we had our disagreements, but I'm so glad that you put in the effort to revive the Pacific. Things are looking brighter for Atlasia thanks to your leadership on that. For that alone, your Presidency looks pretty great on your way out man.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #269 on: June 23, 2014, 01:09:17 PM »

On my Well-wishes

Another election has come and gone, but this one without its share fireworks, with the back and forth fighting, the claims of pre-mature wiki'ing, and a final push to close the gap by SirNick that ended all too short. Election Night June 2014 lacked the edge of your seat stay up all night thrills of June 2013, but overall it did not disappoint.

Cinci and I want to extend our congratulations to our successors, DemPGH and Windjammer on a well run, hard fought campaign. I also tip my hat to Bore, Tyrion, TNF, DC, and of course, Yankee, on their re-elections. To the next administration, my door is open if you need any help or advice with the transition, and I wish you all the best of luck.

Finally, stay tuned, I will give my farewell address to all my loyal subjects shortly before leaving office.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #270 on: June 27, 2014, 09:47:09 AM »

On the Passage of Healthcare Reform

Friends,

Today, I signed an important piece of legislation that will set up Atlasia on a solid foundation moving forward. Today, I signed into law healthcare reform. A month or so ago, it was brought to our attention that our healthcare system was severely broken. Hospitals were closing, people were dying in the streets, doctors weren't getting paid. This is unacceptable for Atlasia, and it is my duty to fix these problems until the day you carry me out of office on a poleI leave office. Lame duck be dammed, this administration is still working for you.

After the bill sat on the floor for a few months, several of us ponied up and met in a chatroom for hours and hours to finally hammer out a working bill, and I'm thrilled that we produced some results. In the future, thanks to these reforms, the poor will receive the healthcare they deserve, the wealthy may have to pay their share, but that's OK.

In the end, Atlasia will be more stable and sound, and for that, it brings a tear to my eye.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #271 on: July 02, 2014, 10:59:21 AM »

On Tomorrow

I will be delivering my farewell address to Atlasia tomorrow night. Please leave your offeringsalcohol and flowers on the steps of my house, and I will include them in the memorial that will be behind me as I say my goodbyes.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #272 on: July 02, 2014, 12:21:36 PM »

As your first handsome vice president, I wanted to stop by (at the risk if Cinci beating me with a whiskey bottle) and say: well done good sir! You have lead this nation well, and the great Greek gods shall rain down blessings upon you and all of your good servants. I wish you nothing but great drunken evenings filled with sex, and then in the daytime great feasts full of the best food our nation has to offer.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #273 on: July 02, 2014, 08:33:47 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2014, 08:37:57 PM by President Duke »

On the Order of  the Star of Atlasia

Tonight I wanted to give out some awards before I said my final goodbyes because, well, I can do it, I'm still the President.

The last 8 months have been fun and we have accomplished a lot, even if we didn't accomplish everything we wanted to accomplish.

I am awarding the following people the Order of the Gold Star: to Oakvale for his outstanding work as my right hand man in the Pacific. Without his help, who knows where the Pacific would be today. To Cincinnatus for being on the Duke/Cinci ticket since October 2011, and his tireless work for The People, now and forever always, amen. To MattfromVT for initially joining me on this journey, a journey neither of us knew the ending. To AndrewTX for being the love of my life, the man I can lean on and the man I can hold when the weather is cold and the mood is hot. To BushOklahoma for his tireless work on improving and continuing The Update, which is the only reason I remain on Atlas.

Additionally, I am awarding the Order of the Silver Star to: DemPGH for his excellent work in helping Oakvale and I revive the Pacific and make it one of the best regions we have today. To the entire Pacific Counsel during the last few months for their work with both my administration and their governor. To shua and Lumine for their hard work on the landmark healthcare reform legislation. And finally, to Averroes Nix for his work on the Basic Income Guarantee, his quality contributions to discussions, for joining me in The Party when neither of us knew where it was going, and for being GM for a while, because god knows, keeping that filled is a pain.

I hope I haven't left anyone out. If I did, I'll add you. Stars aren't easy to come by, but these few brave souls deserve it all and more.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #274 on: July 02, 2014, 09:05:18 PM »

All very much deserved!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12  
« previous next »
Jump to: