All Stand Down
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:59:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  All Stand Down
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8
Author Topic: All Stand Down  (Read 35527 times)
badgate
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: March 03, 2014, 02:57:58 AM »

XLVIII: Conventional Wisdom

August, 2020 - Christie makes nice with Chamber of Commerce, tries to unite coalition.

DNC
in Virginia Beach, VA

Former President Kathleen Sebelius spoke on the first night of the convention.

The Keynote Speaker of the convention was Kentucky Senate candidate Adam Edelen. Edelen is running to replace Rand Paul in a special election held concurrently with 2020's other elections. Paul recently resigned in disgrace after an FBI investigation uncovered gross malpractice at his doctoral practice.

California Governor Kamala Harris lit up the convention on night 2.

Florida Senator Debbie Wasserman-Schultz introduced the Vice Presidential nominee...

Ohio Governor Richard Cordray accepted the Vice Presidential nomination with aplomb.

Former President Hillary Clinton, the most popular Democrat across all demographics, brought in a huge audience to the final night's speeches.

Senator Pete Festersen, a Congressman who won an upset victory in Nebraska's 2018 Senate race, was given the honor to introduce 'the next President of this United States...'

And it is that battle for America's middle class that has been what this journey is all about. Everywhere that I have gone in our beautiful country, people have told me that they want a president who will listen to the middle class when help is needed. A president who will stand on the side of the middle class. A president who will wake up every morning and fight for the middle class. They have told me that they want an economy in which everyone plays by the same rules and does their fair share!

They have told me that they want a level playing field. One where China can't cheat our workers, millionaires can't dodge taxes, and wall street can't crash our economy with risky gambling. They have told me that they want to pay down our debt without shortchanging our future. They have told me that they want to be able to rely on the guarantees of Medicare and Social Security not just today, but for future generations. Most of all, they have told me the special interests have too much power in Washington and it is time for the people's voice to be heard!

Which means I believe in holding the powerful accountable. I believe in fair play, and I believe that when people are struggling, you don't talk down to them, you help lift them up. And I believe in America's workers and work ethic that I will fight for every day. Now, I know it has been a trying time in this country. The last four years, we've had a President who was elected that we knew too little about. His administration's sought to divide us, the rurals and the urbans, university elite versus homespun wisdom. But that's not how I intend to govern. That's not what I believe. I believe we can only move forward if we move forward together.

So tomorrow a long journey begins, and we know our work is just beginning. And I know that when we wake up tomorrow morning we are ready to work. Ready to fight for our middle class. Ready to keep the promises to our seniors. Ready to have a level playing field for our workers and make sure everyone has a fair shot. Ready to make our country stronger and more prosperous and more equal. Ready to do what Americans have done for generations: stand together and move forward. Mister Chairman, delegates, my fellow Americans, I accept your nomination for President of the United States!

Post-DNC Electoral Map

Wisconsin Senator Tammy Baldwin / Ohio Governor Richard Cordray - 283
President Chris Christie / Pennsylvania Senator Pat Toomey - 206
Tossup - 49

RNC
in Dallas, TX

Florida Senator Marco Rubio delivered a stemwinder keynote address on the first night. Many were skeptical of the RNC's decision to ask Rubio to deliver this speech, but he performed a tap dance on the head of a needle, politically speaking.

Texas Senator Ted Cruz, who survived a tough reelection two years ago, opened the second night's festivities and electrified the conservative crowd.

Pennsylvania Senator Pat Toomey attacked the Baldwin campaign in his Vice Presidential acceptance speech, while talking up Christie's achievements and glossing over the storied scandals.

Congresswoman Mia Love, candidate for Utah's Governor's mansion in 2020 against incumbent Jim Matheson, introduced President Christie to accept his renomination. This was seen as Christie acknowledging Love as the future of the party.

I want my grandchildren to live in a second American Century ... a second American Century of strong economic growth where those who are willing to work hard will have good paying jobs to support their families and reach their dreams. A second American Century where real American exceptionalism is not a political punch line, but is evident to everyone in the world just by watching the way our government conducts its business and everyday Americans live their lives. A second American Century where our military is strong, our values are sure, our work ethic is unmatched and our Constitution remains a model for anyone in the world struggling for liberty.

Let us choose a path that will be remembered for generations to come. Standing strong for freedom will make the next century as great an American century as the last one.

This is the American way. We have never been victims of destiny. We have always been masters of our own. I won't be part of the generation that fails that test and neither will you. It's now time to stand up. There's no time left to waste.

If you're willing to stand up with me for America's future, I will stand up with you. If you're willing to fight with me, I will fight for you. If you're willing to hear the truth about the hard road ahead, and the rewards for America that truth will bear, I'm here to begin with you this new era of truth-telling.

Tonight, we choose the path that has always defined our nation's history. Tonight, we finally and firmly answer the call that so many generations have had the courage to answer before us. Tonight, I accept your nomination to be reelected as President of the United States. And, together, we stand up once again for American greatness.

Post-RNC Electoral Map

Wisconsin Senator Tammy Baldwin / Ohio Governor Richard Cordray - 228
President Chris Christie / Pennsylvania Senator Pat Toomey - 264
Tossup - 46
RedPrometheus

« Reply #151 on: March 03, 2014, 03:37:50 AM »

Finally an update! Go Baldwin!
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #152 on: March 03, 2014, 04:57:34 AM »

XLIX: Bambi Meets Godzilla (But Which One Is Godzilla?)

September, 2020 - As part of a campaign strategy to regain voters trust, President Christie held town hall meetings like this across the country, selecting voters who say they are undecided but supported Christie in 2016.

September, 2020 - Despite downplaying her sexual orientation overall, the Baldwin campaign knows that her candidacy is a big motivator for youth turnout, and set out on a digital campaign to increase youth turnout and support in November.

September, 2020 - Selecting Senator Pat Toomey threw away Christie's chances of keeping the southwestern swing states, but the Keystone state looked to be heavily in play and elastic when Toomey hit the trail for the ticket.

Significant Events of the 2020 Election (September)
  • Out of the gate, Baldwin delivers major speech on foreign and domestic surveillance, government transparency, and America's international role in the 2020s at the Brookings Institute.
  • President Christie hits on Baldwin's inexperience, pitches "Grand Pact" to reform Social Security and Medicare preserving it until 2080.
  • A man from Kansas was arrested at a Baldwin campaign stop in Iowa for trying to enter the building with three fully loaded firearms. Baldwin downplays her sexual orientation in answers to reporters.
  • Baldwin's campaign showed a surprising willingness to go negative, releasing an ad online about President Christie's "bully diplomacy, foreign and domestic."
  • Wolf Blitzer: "This election is between the most liberal candidate and the most corrupt candidate in Amercan history. Neither seem to have a clear edge."
  • President Christie blasts Senate Democrats for blocking his replacement for Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas. Baldwin refuses to answer questions about whether she would support President Christie's nominee if the vacancy is held over into February 2021.
  • Baldwin continues to push her "honest government" policies, in turn pointing voters to Christie's secret repeal of strict restrictions on NSA and Patriot Act spying on American soil.
  • Pat Toomey emerges from fundraising circuit to bombard his home state on behalf of President Christie. Christie came close to winning PA in 2016, but losing President Clinton ultimately won the state that year.
  • President Christie makes a surprise trip to Syria, where he announces a long-term partnership with the Democratic Republic's Prime Minister, to keep 14,000 American troops in the country at all times for six more years and provide America with 375 square miles to build a permanent military and air force base in the eastern section of the country.
  • At VFW in Philadelphia, Baldwin balks at keeping "America's sons and daughters" overseas for six more years, and receives a standing ovation.
  • Christie for America campaign launches "Truth About Tammy" digital campaign, highlighting the Senator's most liberal votes in the House and Senate among other things. Many of the literature contains subtle jabs at Baldwin's sexuality.

Late-September Poll
Baldwin/Cordray - 47%
Christie/Toomey - 44%
Undecided - 9%

Significant Events of the 2020 Election (October)
  • Christie launches attack on Baldwin's foreign policy credentials, but polls soon show that Baldwin's moves on the NSA preempted this attack, making it futile.
  • The first debate his held with the two candidates sitting at a table discussing domestic policy. Christie was considered the narrow winner because most people expected the ranting President they were used to, the way he was portrayed in the media. Christie seemed at all times conciliatory, if a little bored.
  • Losing ground, Baldwin goes for the soft sell in swing through rust belt. The event signified a return for her campaign to the kitchen table issues she had focused on in the primaries. Brian Schweitzer joined her on the campaign bus and spoke at every stop. Democrats began to call this the "unity tour."
  • The Catholic church draws ire for not inviting Senator Baldwin to the Al Smith Dinner. The dinner is postponed after Pope Francis says publicly that Baldwin should be invited.
  • The town hall debate is held. Baldwin eggs on Christie and eventually the President abandons his debate team's advice and lets lose against the Senator. In a notable exchange over wether Christie left his own people "out in the cold," the President jumped up from his stool and quickly walked toward Baldwin to confront her, drawing gasps from some in the audience. The ordeal resulted in a lopsided 80% victory for Senator Baldwin.
  • In come-to-Jesus press conference, Christie states "I have no problem that Senator Baldwin is gay. I treated her the way I did in the debate specifically because she was gay: to prove that it doesn't matter to me, by treating her like anyone else."
  • Amid renewed calls for Baldwin to address the historic nature of her candidacy, the Baldwin campaign announces that the Senator will be speaking in the Castro district of San Francisco, before traveling by foot to Harvey Milk's grave to lay fresh flowers. Vice Presidential nominee Cordray joined Baldwin at the event, marking only their fourth joint appearance since the Democratic National Convention. In the speech, Baldwin touches on the challenges still facing gays and the transgendered as a result of previous decades of being ostracized: teen homeless rates, medical and legal problem for trans men and women, greater understanding among all Americans, drug and sex addiction, and race relations within the 'community.' Addressing her own sexuality, Baldwin said that she was proud to be the first openly gay President, but that the bathhouses should not expect to get a free pass under her reign. The speech drew 29,000 attendees and 4 million on television, and the entire city of San Francisco shut down that afternoon to allow for the march to Harvey Milk's grave.
  • Richard Cordray was considered far and away the winner of the Vice Presidential debate, stumping the Senator from his neighbor state on issue after issue.
  • By the time the third debate came around, this had become one of the most negative campaigns in decades: Baldwin ads were on the air stretching the truth on everything from the Stephanie Glögg controversy to Christie's callous political moves after Hurricane Adalynn. Christie ads attacked Baldwin's liberal voting record and the ticket's naked foreign policy inexperience.
  • Baldwin and Christie come to a draw in the third debate. Many undecided voters voiced optimism about Baldwin's ability to be President after the debate, apparently unconvinced by the Christie campaign's contention that Baldwin is unprepared. Christie touted his strong success rate on the foreign policy front, however, which helped keep undecideds on the fence.
  • Seeing that the electoral vote could be close, Christie banks hard on retail politics in small states.

October, 2020 - Cordray kicked Toomey's ass in the debate. Sorry Toomey.

October, 2020 - Baldwin greets supporters at the beginning of an historic speech in San Francisco.

October, 2020 - President Christie found that retail politics helped repair his image and poll numbers, but it may have been too late in the fall election to make the difference. Only the votes will tell.

Final Poll
Tammy Baldwin/Richard Cordray - 49%
Chris Christie/Pat Toomey - 48%
Undecided - 3%
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #153 on: March 03, 2014, 05:08:27 AM »

badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #154 on: March 04, 2014, 03:45:22 AM »
« Edited: March 15, 2014, 12:05:15 AM by badgate »

L: "God dammit.....Misses Landingham!" "I really wish you wouldn't shout, Mr. President."

Welcome to Election night 2020! This is the first election in which the entirety of the Millenial generation will be eligible to vote. Millenials on average vote at a 29% higher rate than Gen X. Things are going to start off slow, so here are the first states closing.

7:00pm

Georgia for Chris Christie

Indiana for Chris Christie

Kentucky for Chris Christie

South Carolina for Chris Christie

Vermont for Tammy Baldwin

Virginia is too close to call

So President Christie is starting out very strong, but just to be clear these are all states that Senator Baldwin passed on contesting. With the exception of course for Vermont, where Baldwin has won. The election currently stands at 3-44-13.

Looking at the Senate, we can safely say that Senator Grimes of Kentucky is reelected. In Georgia, a Broun vs. Nunn rematch is very close. In South Carolina, state Senator Lee Bright has been elected to replace Lindsay Graham. Retiring Senator Mark Warner can leave the chamber knowing that his seat will remain with his party. Congresswoman Charniele Herring is expected to win this race by a decisive margin. Here we go with 7:30.

7:30pm

North Carolina is too close to call

Ohio is too close to call

West Virginia for Chris Christie

3-49-46

Wow! A true Cinderella story in North Carolina tonight: Kay Hagan, who lost in 2014 and was elected Attorney General two years later in 2016, has won a hard-fought rematch early in the night. An attempted candidacy in North Carolina by the New party did not even get on the official ballot. Republican Senator Shelley Moore Capito has been quickly reelected in West Virginia.

Let's look at the Presidential race. Now Baldwin concentrated hard on states she knew she had to win; in many ways, this election is a reversion of where we were at the beginning of the decade. President Christie has many avenues to win, While Baldwin has only a few. While same-sex marriage is widely accepted in America now, only 54% believe same-sex sex between adults is morally acceptable. This explains why Baldwin had to focus on states that not just allowed her to get married but were accepting of her in every way. Much as Baldwin tried to make the election about Christie's disastrous first terms, the numerous scandals, the broken laws, and the unpopular executive actions, the Christie machine succeeded in putting the focus on his opponent, forcing her to prove that she as a gay person could be President. Oh lookie there, the 8:00 states are done!

8:00pm

Alabama for Chris Christie

Connecticut for Tammy Baldwin

Delaware for Tammy Baldwin

Florida is too close to call

Illinois is too close to call

Maine (state-wide) is too close to call

Maine (ME-1) for Tammy Baldwion

Maine (ME-2) is too close to call

Maryland for Tammy Baldwin

Massachusetts for Tammy Baldwin

Mississippi for Chris Christie

Missouri for Chris Christie

New Hampshire is too close to call

New Jersey is too close to call

Oklahoma for Chris Christie

Pennsylvania is too close to call

Rhode Island for Tammy Baldwin

Tennessee for Chris Christie

Washington, D.C. for Tammy Baldwin

***North Carolina called for Chris Christie
[/b]

42-107-121

So things look about where we expected them. Just so you know, there is record high turnout in Cook county Illinois, which is why the state cannot be called yet.

Congratulations to Virginia's Senator-elect Herring. Congresswoman Martha Roby has easily become Alabama's new Senator.

In Deleware, Chris Coons has won reelection running unopposed.

The Illinois Senate race however is another story. This has become a banner election for the competition for Senate control. Congressman Aaron Schock is thought to be narrowly leading Democrat Lisa Madigan, but honestly, who knows. It's very very close.

Retiring Senator Susan Collins is basically handing over to the Democrats, but Governor Mike Michaud found himself in a competitive race with Independent candidate Ben Chipman. If Michaud wins, the will be the first openly gay male senator and, if Baldwin wins, will replace her as the only openly gay Senator.

Massachusetts has elected Lt. Governor Juliette Kayyem, who won a hard-fought primary challenge to incumbent Ed Markey in April of this year.

In Mississippi, incumbent Senator Chris McDaniels is set to defeat independent candidate Gene Taylor and a nobody Democratic candidate.

New Hampshire is bidding a fond farewell to Jeanne Shaheen, and has already elected her heir-apparent Donnalee Lozeau.

In President Christie's home state, Senator Cory Booker is set to sail back to the Senate.

Oklahoma has a shockingly close Senate election: Oklahoma City University president Robert Henry, who previously served statewide as Attorney General and was appointed by President Bill Clinton to the 10th Circuit, is narrowly leading former Congressman James Lankford. Henry is cousin to former Oklahoma Governor Brad Henry. badgate shook his hand when he graduated from college.

Rhode Island will send new blood to the Senate too, with Lt. Governor Gina Raimondo replacing retiring Senator Jack Reed.

Many wanted Memphis Congresswoman Alison Judd to challenge Lamar Alexander, but the Congresswoman decided it was not her time. Alexander - considered to be a lifer - has won reelection easily.

We will be right back with more election night 2020 coverage!

Incumbent Reelected
Open Seat
Incumbent Unseated
Too Close to Call
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #155 on: March 04, 2014, 03:05:47 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2014, 02:03:23 AM by badgate »

LI: Will They All Stand Down?

Welcome back! Arkansas closed its polls at 8:30, but they are the only ones that close at 8:30 and we think they should get with the program and line up with the rest of their neighboring states so we refuse to call this state until the nine o'clock states are ready. Oh! Here they are!!! And we can call some of the "too close to call" states now too!

8:30/9:00pm

Arkansas for Chris Christie

Arizona for Chris Christie

Colorado is too close to call

Kansas for Chris Christie

Louisiana for Chris Christie

Michigan is too close to call

Minnesota is too close to call

Nebraska (state-wide) for Chris Christie

Nebraska (NE-1, NE-3) for Chris Christie

Nebraska (NE-2) is too close to call

New Mexico for Tammy Baldwin

New York for Tammy Baldwin

South Dakota for Chris Christie

Texas for Chris Christie

Wisconsin for Tammy Baldwin

Wyoming for Chris Christie

Illinois can now be called for Tammy Baldwin, and - uh oh!

Embattled President Christie has managed to pull out a win in his home state! New Jersey for Chris Christie

New Hampshire can now be called for Tammy Baldwin

110-200-119

This is looking to be very close! I'm honestly not sure who can win. New Jersey, now that's a shocker. The vote is close - expected to be only a few tens of thousands - and Baldwin may be wishing she had chosen Senator Cory Booker over Governor Cordray by the time the night is over. Let's distract ourselves from the anxiety by looking at the Senate races that just closed.

Incumbent Senator Tom Cotton has been safely reelected in Arkansas

Senator Mark Udall, Colorado statesman, has been reelected to another term. Many suspect Udall wants to be a lifer.

In Kansas, Congressman Mike Pompeo has won the open election there.

Senator Mary Landrieu is fighting for her life, but regardless whether she comes out on top of the popular vote this race is expected to go into a runoff election.

Michigan Senator Gary Peters has been reelected with the swiftness of the wind.

Minnesota saw one of the most boring Senate races; Al Franken was reelected with no challengers.

Nebraska sees Shane Osborn being reelected without a serious challenge.

In New Mexico, the other Udall has over performed the Baldwin ticket, garnering over 60% of the popular vote.

South Dakota is an interesting one. New Party Senator Larry Pressler is narrowly winning the 3-way pack, which would mark the first time a New senator has been reelected. We shall see...

Senator Stefani Carter has failed to earn Texans' trust, and is embattled in a brutal fight with state Senator Trey Martinez Fischer. Texas is too close to call.

Senator Mike Enzi has been reelected with over 70% of the popular vote in Wyoming. This cycle the Senator avoided a challenge from a Cheney.

Maine has elected the first openly gay male Senator in Mike Michaud, and we can now call Illinois for Governor Lisa Madigan.

badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #156 on: March 04, 2014, 03:06:17 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2014, 03:21:25 PM by badgate »

LII: Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you...

We have some states from earlier that are ready to be called! Along with 10:00pm states.

10:00pm

Iowa is too close to call

Montana for Chris Christie

Nevada for Tammy Baldwin

Utah for Chris Christie

Maine (state-wide) can now be called for Tammy Baldwin

Maine (ME-2) can now be called for Tammy Baldwin

Michigan can now be called for Tammy Baldwin

Minnesota can now be called for Tammy Baldwin

Nebraska (NE-2) can now be called for Chris Christie

Pennsylvania can now be called for Tammy Baldwin

165-210-75

In Iowa, Senator Bruce Braley has been reelected with 54%. And Montana Senator Walsh is looking good, but this race may not be called well past midnight.

11:00pm

California for Tammy Baldwin

Hawai'i for Tammy Baldwin

Idaho for Chris Christie

North Dakota for Chris Christie

Oregon for Tammy Baldwin

Washington for Tammy Baldwin

243-259-33

So now with all states but Alaska closed, we have a very close race in the home stretch. Tammy Baldwin has not lead in the electoral vote at all tonight, but is now winning the popular vote by almost two percentage points. We're just getting breaking news. Now Iowa and Ohio have been called for - *gasp* Tammy Baldwin! Looks like that Richard Cordray pick payed off! For the first time, Senator Baldwin leads with 267 electoral votes to Christie's 259. Baldwin absolutely needs Colorado in order to win.

It all comes down to the Centennial state, and it's easy to tell why: Colorado is very close, and a microcosm for this election all over the country. Baldwin won her 60+% reelection victory in Wisconsin by appealing to the rural areas as much as the more liberal urbans, and that is what she did in Colorado as well. However Christie invested heavily in this state, considering its population growth and knowing the race would be close. While we wait for more precincts to report in, let's take a look at the Senate races. I believe a few have been called:

WOW! Texas will send a Democrat tot he Senate for the first time since Lloyd Bentsen's retirement. Congratulations to Senator-elect Trey Martinez Fischer!

Landireu has won in Louisiana, but it was under 50% so she will have to go on to a runoff later this year or early next year. That runoff could be decided based on who becomes President tonight, or the political makeup of the Senate after all the races are called.

Larry Pressler has lost to Congresswoman Kristi Noem in a very close 3-way. This marks yet another loss for New Party senators, a brave and bold political experiment that looks to be going down in flames ten years after it began.

In Georgia, Michelle Nunn has won exactly 50% with all precincts reporting. Hopefully for her the early and absentee votes do not push her down to 49%, where she will have to endure a runoff. Senator Broun is refusing to concede until it is certain that Nunn has been elected.

Retiring Idaho Senator Jim Risch has left his seat in his party's hands. Raul Labrador has become the new Senator from Idaho.

And in Oregon's senate race, Jeff Merkley has won reelection with barely a sneeze.

What a night for Southern Democrats - Oklahoma will send a DEMOCRAT to the U.S. Senate! Congratulations to Senator-elect Robert Henry!

Let's look at Alaska too, where Senator Mark Begich is gunning for an improbable third term. The state GOP is tapped out on good candidates, having just elected their best and brightest to the Governor and Lite Guv posts, so Begich is expected to pull it out.

Looks like it's going to be a while before Colorado can be called. Let's take a nap...

Alaska for Chris Christie

COLORADO can now be called for Tammy Baldwin - TAMMY BALDWIN IS NOW PRESIDENT-ELECT

President-elect Tammy Baldwin

Wisconsin Senator Tammy Baldwin / Ohio Governor Richard Cordray - 276
President Chris Christie / Pennsylvania Senator Pat Toomey - 262

badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #157 on: March 04, 2014, 03:08:21 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2014, 02:02:34 AM by badgate »

Senate Map

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #158 on: March 04, 2014, 03:47:28 PM »

Why did you take Rand Paul out in such a dirty fashion? He runs as tight a medical practice as his dad did.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #159 on: March 04, 2014, 03:49:23 PM »

Why did you take Rand Paul out in such a dirty fashion? He runs as tight a medical practice as his dad did.

Thanks for reminding me of that race!

In addition to Grimes' victory, Adam Edelen has replaced Paul in Kentucky's other Senate seat.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #160 on: March 04, 2014, 07:22:41 PM »

In addition to Grimes' victory, Adam Edelen has replaced Paul in Kentucky's other Senate seat.

Kentucky isn't going Democrat nationally any time soon so I have serious disagreement with this move. At least Ellesperman beat Donnelly in my home state. Be fair to the Tea Party kids but otherwise this has been a good timeline
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #161 on: March 04, 2014, 08:37:46 PM »

Kentucky isn't going Democrat nationally any time soon so I have serious disagreement with this move. At least Ellesperman beat Donnelly in my home state. Be fair to the Tea Party kids but otherwise this has been a good timeline
It's unlikely that Kentucky ( a state where Democrats hold every statewide office, majorities in both houses, and are leading the incumbent Republican Senate Leader in an environment containing a semi unpopular black President), can win a Senate seat in Kentucky?
RedPrometheus

« Reply #162 on: March 05, 2014, 02:35:10 PM »

Great timeline. I'm really enjoying reading it.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #163 on: March 14, 2014, 11:53:12 PM »

Presidents of the United States (1977-present)
39. James Earl Carter, Jr.....................1977-1981
40. Ronald Wilson Reagan...................1981 - 1989
41. George Herbert Walker Bush..........1989 - 1993
42. William Jefferson Clinton.................1993 - 1997
43. Albert Arnold Gore, Jr.....................1997 - 2001
44. George Walker Bush.....................2001 - 2005
45. John Sidney McCain III.................2005 - 2009
46. Barack Hussein Obama..................2009 - 2011
47. Kathleen Gilligan Sebelius...............2011 - 2013
48. Hillary Rodham Clinton...................2013 - 2017
49. Christopher James Christie...............2017 - 2021
50. Tammy Suzanne Green Baldwin............2021 - Present

Vice Presidents of the United States (1977 - Present)
42. Walter Frederick Mondale..........1977 - 1981
43. George Herbert Walker Bush..........1981 - 1989
44. James Danforth Quayle.................1989 - 1993
45. Albert Arnold Gore, Jr.....................1993 - 1997
46. Joseph Isadore Lieberman...............1997 - 2001
47. Richard Bruce Cheney...................2001 - 2005
48. Julius Ceaser Watts.......................2005 - 2009
49. Kathleen Gilligan Sebelius................2009 - 2011
50. Timothy Michael Kaine.....................2011 - 2013
51. Birch Evans Bayh III........................2013 - 2017
52. Susana Martinez............................2017 - 2021
53. Richard Cordray..............................2021 - Present

badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #164 on: March 15, 2014, 02:01:01 AM »

LII: Lioness

Tammy Baldwin, 50th President of the United States

Richard Cordray, 53rd Vice President of the United States

117th Congress

House
Republican - 200
Democrat - 233
Independent - 2

Senate
Republican - 37
Democrat - 60
New Party - 3

The Cabinet of President Tammy Baldwin (2021-Present)
  • Secretary of State - Caroline Kennedy (D-NY)
  • Secretary of Defense - Tammy Duckworth (D-IL)
  • Attorney General - Kenneth P. Thompson (D-NY)
  • Secretary of Treasury - Paul Krugman (D-NY)
  • Secretary of Health & Human Services - Cecilia Chung (D-CA)
  • Secretary of Labor - Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)
  • Secretary of Education - Rebecca Holcombe (D-VT)
  • Secretary of Natural Resources - Rush D. Holt, Jr. (D-NJ)
  • Secretary of Housing & Urban Development - Shola Olatoye (D-NY)
  • Secretary of Business - W. Craig Jelinek (?-WA)
  • Secretary of Homeland Security - Tony West (?-??)
  • Secretary of Transportation - Daniel Krause (D-CA)
  • Secretary of Veteran's Affairs - Sylvia Sanchez (?-TX)

Significant Events of Tammy Baldwin's First Term (2021)
  • Jan. 19, 2021 - Presiden Christie signs pardons for former staff members, including former Chief-of-Staff Bridgett Anne Kelly.
  • Tammy Baldwin is sworn in as the 50th President of the United States. In her inaugural address to the country, Baldwin declared the beginning of a new era in America. The speech was very future-looking and was well-recieved from all sides.
  • On second day of her Presidency, Baldwin commutes the sentences of Chelsea Manning and Edward Snowden. D.C. is shocked by Baldwin's audacity, but Americans approved of the move 54 to 41.
  • In her State of the Union, President Baldwin lays out an ambitious education reform, including new curriculum and a more progressive model for how school districts get money from the Department of Education. Among these proposals is a third year of American history, focusing on government, civics, and America's political history. (See: Prologue)
  • President Baldwin signs her first significant legislation, a version of the ethics and government transparency bill she had proposed during the campaign.
  • The American Education Act passes the house with 300 votes, and the senate with 79 in late April. Baldwin signs it and tasks Sec. of Education Rebecca Halcombe with implementing and enforcing the law.
  • On the evening of July 4, President Baldwin calls a special session of Congress and delivers an impassioned call for D.C. and Puerto Rico statehood. On the steps of the Capitol, delegations of local elected officials as well as everyday citizens from D.C. and Puerto Rico joined the Baldwin administration and the 117th Congress in watching fireworks.
  • On September 21, 2021, the African Union announces major changes including a continental currency, and the formation of the African Union Peacekeeping Force; each member of the African Union will, every two years, assign 500 (or 10%) of their army forces to the AUPF for a two-year term. The AUPF will exist to enforce civility across the continent, root out tribal disputes and genocide, and defend the continent's blossoming economy. Sec. of Treasury Krugman hailed the African Union's moves.
  • Congress approves $800 million in new loans to the African Union.
  • Sec. of Health & Human Services Cecilia Chung announces the completion of her department's first major initiative, a 100% overhaul of how trans* individuals are treated in hospitals and prisons and creating much greater accessibility for these people to access the materials necessary for a healthy and successful transition.
  • President Baldwin appears flanked by Sec. of Defense Duckworth and Sec. of Homeland Security West, as well as the National Security Advisor, and announces that a classified review of the FBI, NSA, and CIA's practices has been completed. Baldwin also announces that she has asked for the resignations from the heads of all three departments, and by executive order is putting them under Sec. of Homeland Security West's purview while the classified review is analyzed by the administration, Attorney General, and relevant committees of Congress.
  • President Baldwin's approval rating stands at 52% on Dec. 31, 2021.

April, 2021 - The American Education Act was the first major overhaul of America's public schools since No Child Left Behind in the early aughts.

September, 2021 - As more than 94% of Africa becomes considered 'first-world,' the African Union became a major international force.

December, 2021 - President Baldwin ended her first year in office with a positive approval rating. The year was marked by significant domestic and international events, particularly education reform, the African Union, and the President's moves in November of 2021.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #165 on: March 15, 2014, 07:18:53 AM »

I like the idea of the African Union becoming more powerful and important. That gives me an idea for Death of A Statesman.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #166 on: March 18, 2014, 04:12:23 AM »
« Edited: March 18, 2014, 03:35:46 PM by badgate »

LIII: 2022

March, 2022 - For the first time in the 21st century, two American territories were to have the opportunity to decide with finality the issue of statehood.

July, 2022 - Debo Adegbile, once rejected by the Senate for a cabinet post that he later was confirmed to, was President Baldwin's first appointment to the Supreme Court.

Significant Events of Tammy Baldwin's First Term (2022)
    • On Jan. 1, 2022, the Senate formally rejects former President Christie's nominee to replace former Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas. The Supreme Court unanimously signs a letter to the President asking her to submit a new nominee.
    • President Baldwin nominates Debo Adegbile, former assistant attorney general for civil rights under Obama/Sebelius and Clinton, to the Supreme Court.
    • In phase two of education reform, President Baldwin releases a budget ahead of her State of the Union speech. The budget appropriates $4 billion to a program to strengthen America's workforce of teachers.
    • On Feb. 5, 2022, President Baldwin delivered an hour and 20 minute long speech to a joint session of Congress, calling for an end to teacher tenure, longer school year divided into trimesters, and the Great Teachers, Great America program from her budget. The President also laid out a timetable for the release of the CIA/NSA/FBI reports, and hailed the members of both Intelligence committees before announcing that she has asked them to take the lead on determining "appropriate measures" in response to the reports.
    • The first wave of NSA report documents is released on March 1, revealing domestic surveillance and in excruciating detail every instance that NSA information was shared with other government agencies. All names, for privacy reasons, were blacked out.
    • Final ballot initiatives required for D.C. and Puerto Rico statehood approved for 2022 Nov Election.
    • Wages rise an average of 9%
    • Generic Congressional Ballot, April 5, 2022:
      • Democrat: 44%
      • Republican: 39%
      • Not Sure: 17%
    • Unemployment hits 3.9%, historic low in the 21st century.
    • The Senate confirms Debo Adegbile to the Supreme Court 55-41, after a 62-38 cloture vote.
    • President Baldwin hails Congress's NSA Reform & Firewall Protection Act, an omnibus bill that is a combination of NSA reforms and cybersecurity measures. President Baldwin personally lobbied for a successful amendment calling for "secure and interminable net neutrality for all Americans."
    • Newly-elected hawkish Syrian President Jazeeri rejects renewal of security deal. Within 24 hours, AP reports that President Baldwin has instructed Sec. of Defense Duckworh to prepare the withdrawal of all American troops in an "efficient and certain manner."
    • The House passes the Baldwin education reforms on a party-line vote with 7 Democratic defections and 2 Republicans crossing over to support the legislation.
    • Congressman Mike Collier (D-TX), chairman of the House Budget committee, presents to the House Leadership a budget that is the work of himself and Congresswoman Lynn Jenkins. The budget eventually passes and will go into conference with the Senate's budget, one more reflective of President Baldwin's vision.
    • President Baldwin welcomes back the first 2,000 returning American soldiers from Syria, but during the welcome ceremony news breaks that the Taliban successfully shot down two helicopters from the second wave of withdrawal. Republicans in Congress almost immediately began criticizing the President, some even calling it "her Benghazi."
    • President Baldwin's approval dips below 50% for the first time, but still +6% overall.

2022 Midterm Results
    House
    Republican - 205
    Democrat - 227
    Independent - 3 (2 w Democrats; 1 w Republicans)

Senate Map

Key Senate Races

Arkansas: Mike Ross 55% - Alan Clarke 44%
    Arizona: Steve Gallardo 50% - Matt Salmon 49%
    Georgia: Jason Carter 51% - Buddy Carter 47%
    Kansas: Paul Davis 43% - Lynn Jenkins 56%
    New Hampshire: Maggie Hassan 48% - Kelly Ayotte 51%
    North Carolina: Anthony Foxx 48% - Renee Ellmers 52%
    Ohio: Ed Fitzgerald 53% - Mike DeWine 47%
    Oregon: David Wu 49% - Jason Atkinson - 50.5%
    Vermont:  - Tim Ashe (P) 12% - Maida Townsend (D) 22% - Shap Smith (N) 35% - Phil Scott (R) 31%

Senate
    Republican - 33
    Democrat - 63
    New Party - 4

D.C. Statehood
    Yes - 91%
    No - 9%

Puerto Rico
    Yes - 78%
    No - 21%
    Lost Ballots - 1%

• President Baldwin calls a lame duck session and addresses it on the first day, hailing the referendum in D.C. and Puerto Rico. The Congress ratifies the statehood for the state of Columbia, formerly known as D.C., on Dec. 11. Congress then moves to federalize the necessary land within Columbia, as part of the statehood agreement in the referendum.
    • On Dec. 21, Congress ratifies statehood for the state of Puerto Rico and adjourns for the holidays.
    • The Pentagon announces on Dec. 23 that the last American soldiers have left Syrian airspace and will be arriving home on Christmas Day.

December, 2022 - Thousands of Americans received the greatest Christmas gift in 2022.[/list]
    DKrol
    dkrolga
    YaBB God

« Reply #167 on: March 18, 2014, 03:30:36 PM »

Vermont:  - Tim Ashe 12% - Maida Townsend 22% - Shep Smith 35% - Phil Scott 31%

Like the Fox News Shep Smith? I think he lives in Mississippi.
    badgate
    Junior Chimp

« Reply #168 on: March 18, 2014, 03:32:21 PM »

Vermont:  - Tim Ashe 12% - Maida Townsend 22% - Shep Smith 35% - Phil Scott 31%

Like the Fox News Shep Smith? I think he lives in Mississippi.

Thanks...I meant Vermont House Speaker Shap Smith. Edited and also added party labels to this race
    TX Conservative Dem
    United States

« Reply #169 on: March 18, 2014, 04:03:53 PM »

What happened to Governor Perry?
    Anti Democrat Democrat Club
    SawxDem
    Atlas Icon
    United States

« Reply #170 on: March 18, 2014, 04:18:16 PM »

I'd assume the same as OTL.
    badgate
    Junior Chimp

« Reply #171 on: March 18, 2014, 04:26:56 PM »

Pretty much. He ran in 2012 and dropped out after South Carolina. Left the Governor's mansion in 2015 and dropped out after the South Dakota primary in 2016.
    TX Conservative Dem
    United States

« Reply #172 on: March 18, 2014, 05:54:10 PM »

So Perry still declared he was NOT seeking reelection to a 4th term in 2014 and left the Texas Governor's Mansion on January 20, 2015 with mixed approval ratings.

badgate
    Junior Chimp

« Reply #173 on: April 02, 2014, 01:36:08 AM »
    « Edited: April 02, 2014, 02:31:30 AM by badgate »

LIV: Resurrected

February, 2023 - The Department of Veterans Affairs oversaw its greatest new initiatives and changes in decades.

March, 2023 - Columbia and Puerto Rico hold jungle primaries to nominate official candidates for the many new federal and state-level offices that need to be filled.

Significant Events of 2023
      • On Jan. 1, Columbia and Puerto Rico schedule primaries for March 28, and and general elections for July 11, for the offices of U.S. House Representative, U.S. Senator, Governor, State Attorney General, State Comptroller, and various commissioner posts. Columbia and Puerto Rico's existing City Council and State Legislature, respectively, pass legislation creating jungle primaries in both states.
      • Puerto Rico releases the congressional districts 24 hours after the scheduling of primaries:

• President Baldwin releases groundbreaking budget ahead of her State of the Union address.
      • At her State of the Union, President Baldwin proposes universal Pre-K, and a massive new NASA space program financed by American trade and not taxes. On the foreign front, Baldwin called on Congress to renew her foreign aid package with "consistent funding," marking a shift from her previous calls to increase foreign spending. Instead, she directed $40 million to a new State department/Homeland Security hybrid agency to create an American program for accepting refugees. Baldwin did call on the Department of Veteran's Affairs to create a new sub-agency to serve as pointman for returning Syrian veterans, and detailed a new GI Bill proposal. And finally, in the spirit of last December's end to American troops stationed abroad in Syria, Baldwin called on congress to make the single-payer insurance provided free to all veterans inheritable for three generations.
      • Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton announces that she will run for "a maximum of three terms" as a voting member of the House. The DCCC swiftly announces that Norton will be granted seniority backdated to 1991, causing many of the announced candidates to drop out or switch primaries before March.
      • Congress rejects President Baldwin's Pre-K initiative by two votes. A week later, the Inheritable Veteran Family Wellness Act and the 21st Century GI Bill are passed with 398 and 412 votes, respectively.
      • Columbia and Puerto Rico nominate the candidates in their primaries:

List of Candidates for Columbia Senator (Class 1)
      • Mayor Muriel Bowser (D)
      • David Catania (I)

List of Candidates for Columbia Senator (Class 3)
      • Kenyan McDuffie (D)
      • Adrian Fenty (R)

List of Candidates for Columbia House At-Large Seat
      • Tommy Wells (D)
      • Eleanor Holmes Norton (D)

List of Candidates for Columbia Governor
      • Brianne Nadeau (D)
      • Jack Evans (D)

List of Candidates for Puerto Rico Senator (Class 2)
      • Pedro Pierluisi (D)
      • Brenda López de Arrarás (D)

List of Candidates for Puerto Rico Senator (Class 3)
      • Alejandro García Padilla (D)*

List of Candidates for Puerto Rico Congressional District 1
      • David Bernier (D)*

List of Candidates for Puerto Rico Congressional District 2
      • Rafael Cox Alomar (D)*

List of Candidates for Puerto Rico Congressional District 3
      • Jorge Suárez Cáceres (D)
      • Carmelo Ríos (N)

List of Candidates for Puerto Rico Congressional District 4
      • Carlos Vargas Ferrer (D)*

List of Candidates for Puerto Rico Congressional District 5
      • Fernando Martín García (I)
      • Urayoán Hernández (P)

List of Candidates for Puerto Rico Governor
      • Jaime Perelló (I)
      • Itzamar Peña (P)

*Running unopposed.

• When Republican candidates fail to make almost all jungle primaries, protests spring up throughout the south, midwest, and mountain west. Democrats in these regions see their approvals drop as many Americans across party lines protest the statehood move.
      • President Baldwin, in visit to home state of Wisconsin, is poorly received outside the statehouse when her speech turns to the anti-statehood protests. By June, it is clear this movement is aimed at the contention that these territories were given statehood to bolster Democrats' power in Congress.
      • CNN reports that nation-wide, 71% of protestors are white and 66% are over 45 years old.
      • The legislatures of MT, ID, UT, MO, AR, IA, KS, OK, TX, LA, AL, and SD pass resolutions before July 1 condemning statehood and calling for 3 electoral votes, two senators, and an at-large congressmen to represent overseas missionaries as a singular, absentee voting bloc.
      • Columbia and Puerto Rico vote on July 11; they have 61% and 58% voter turnout, respectively, notably high.

List of Candidates for Columbia Senator (Class 1)
      • Mayor Muriel Bowser (D) - 69%
      • David Catania (I) - 30%

List of Candidates for Columbia Senator (Class 3)
      • Kenyan McDuffie (D) - 58%
      • Adrian Fenty (R) - 42%

List of Candidates for Columbia House At-Large Seat
      • Tommy Wells (D) - 11%
      • Eleanor Holmes Norton (D) - 89%

List of Candidates for Columbia Governor
      • Brianne Nadeau (D) - 54%
      • Jack Evans (D) - 45%

List of Candidates for Puerto Rico Senator (Class 2)
      • Pedro Pierluisi (D) - 57%
      • Brenda López de Arrarás (D) - 43%

List of Candidates for Puerto Rico Senator (Class 3)
      • Alejandro García Padilla (D) - 100%

List of Candidates for Puerto Rico Congressional District 1
      • David Bernier (D) - 100%

List of Candidates for Puerto Rico Congressional District 2
      • Rafael Cox Alomar (D) - 100%

List of Candidates for Puerto Rico Congressional District 3
      • Jorge Suárez Cáceres (D) - 63%
      • Carmelo Ríos (N) - 36%

List of Candidates for Puerto Rico Congressional District 4
      • Carlos Vargas Ferrer (D) - 100%

List of Candidates for Puerto Rico Congressional District 5
      • Fernando Martín García (I) - 53%
      • Urayoán Hernández (P) - 47%

List of Candidates for Puerto Rico Governor
      • Jaime Perelló (I) - 50%
      • Itzamar Peña (P) - 49%

• Congressman-elect Fernando Martín García announces that he will caucus with the Republican party, earning him national media coverage and making himself catch of the week on the Sunday shows.
      • Baldwin approval rating: 47% - 42% - 11%
      • Pope Francis makes his third trip to the United States, meeting President Baldwin at the White House and addressing a joint session of Congress. Pope Francis then spends two weeks visiting Catholic churches all over the country, many without prior notice. Twitter erupts daily with new pictures of Pope Francis wherever he popped up that day.
      • Unemployment rises to 5.5% in September.
      • In a television interview with Ronan Farrow, President Baldwin confirms that she will run for a second term in 2024.
      • Outside a farm in Wisconsin, President Baldwin and Vice President Cordray make a joint appearance before Baldwin delivers her announcement speech for her reelection campaign.
      • Polls show that all but seven incumbent Senators and 89 incumbent Congressmen are safe, with Columbia and Puerto Rican statehood being the #1 issue among the deciding voters.
      • The National Weather Service forecasts in December that 2024 will be the wettest year in the south, southwest, and California in decades, bringing relief to states that have been in drought for almost a decade.

August, 2023 - Pope Francis makes his third visit to the United States.

September, 2023 - President Baldwin announces she will seek a second term, a feat not achieved since President Ronald Reagan in 1984.[/list]
      badgate
      Junior Chimp

« Reply #174 on: April 04, 2014, 04:23:36 AM »

LV: Future Party

Candidates for the Republican Nomination for President (as of Jan. 1, 2024)
      • Florida Senator Marco Rubio
      • Utah Governor Mia Love
      • New Hampshire Senator Kelly Ayotte
      • Frmr. Indiana Governor Mike Pence
      • Florida Congressman David Jolly
      • Wisconsin Congressman Paul Ryan
      • Texas Senator Ted Cruz

Poll: Dec. 4, 2023 (1 month before Iowa)
      Ted Cruz - 39%
      Paul Ryan - 27%
      Marco Rubio - 12%
      Mia Love 9%
      Mike Pence 6%
      Kelly Ayotte 5%
      David Jolly 2%

Iowa
      Mia Love 31%
      Ted Cruz 30%
      Paul Ryan 19%
      Marco Rubio 13%
      Kelly Ayotte 4%
      Mike Pence 3%
      David Jolly 0%

--Congressman David Jolly exited the Presidential race. Jolly endorsed Ted Cruz.

New Hampshire
      Kelly Ayotte 38%
      Ted Cruz 25%
      Mia Love 20%
      Paul Ryan 10%
      Marco Rubio 5%
      Mike Pence 2%

--Frmr. Governor Mike Pence exited the Presidential race. Pence did not endorse.
      --Senator Marco Rubio exited the Presidential race. Rubio endorsed Mia Love.

South Carolina
      Ted Cruz 45%
      Mia Love 33%
      Paul Ryan 11%
      Kelly Ayotte 11%

Florida
      Mia Love 45%
      Ted Cruz 42%
      Paul Ryan 9%
      Kelly Ayotte 4%

Michigan
      Paul Ryan 32%
      Mia Love 30%
      Ted Cruz 25%
      Kelly Ayotte 13%

Nevada
      Mia Love 49%
      Ted Cruz 37%
      Paul Ryan 8%
      Kelly Ayotte 6%

--Senator Kelly Ayotte exited the Presidential race. Ayotte endorsed Mia Love.

Republican Primary Map

New Hampshire Senator Kelly Ayotte
      Utah Governor Mia Love
      Texas Senator Ted Cruz
      Wisconsin Congressman Paul Ryan

Super Tuesday
      Mia Love: Alaska, Georgia, Idaho, Ohio, Vermont.
      Ted Cruz: North Dakota, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Virginia.
      Paul Ryan: Massachusetts.

--Paul Ryan exited the Presidential race. Ryan endorsed Mia Love.

February/March
      Mia Love: Colorado, Minnesota, Maine, Washington, Virgin Islands, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Alabama, Hawaii, Illinois.
      Ted Cruz: Arizona, Kansas, Missouri, Mississippi, American Samoa, Puerto Rico.

--After the Illinois primary near the end of March, Ted Cruz exited the Presidential race. Cruz endorsed Mia Love.

Final Republican Primary Map

New Hampshire Senator Kelly Ayotte
      Utah Governor Mia Love
      Texas Senator Ted Cruz
      Wisconsin Congressman Paul Ryan

Utah Governor Mia Love, Republican Nominee for President of the United States.
      Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  
      « previous next »
      Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies