Imperial Campaign Thread: PiT for Emperor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:59:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Imperial Campaign Thread: PiT for Emperor
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Imperial Campaign Thread: PiT for Emperor  (Read 6028 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2013, 10:54:15 PM »

I only agree with you 100%. I will not stand for this attack on regional rights.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2013, 10:55:17 PM »

Thanks for your support, Senator. I know that recent developments have caused interest in this race to dwindle. Regardless of what happens, I will be here every night to demonstrate my commitment to activity and expound on my ideas. By the time that the election rolls around, there should be no doubt in anybody's mind as to what I plan to do if elected.

Speaking of which, I notice that nobody has commented on my plan to change the way that we elect our Legislature. For years, I have been interested in pursuing a means of making state-level registration meaningful. I know that there has been various movements to populate our unpopulated states, but what difference does it really make if I am registered in Louisiana instead of Mississippi? Hopefully my plan will create a substantial difference.

By the way, I see a few criticisms to be lodged against my plan. Surely, there are people on the other side of the aisle who are interested in making them. Or is it that everyone in Atlasia wants to see my agenda to its fullest possible success? I sort of doubt that. Wink
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2013, 11:03:11 PM »

It would be most fascinating to see you and Mechaman engage in a debate before the election rolls around. Hopefully that can be arranged.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2013, 07:48:26 PM »

I wonder, how many people here remember Purple State well? He was an Atlasian thinker could influenced me in my time here. As one of the drivers behind our country's first elected legislature, the Mideast Assembly, he made important arguments in defense of the regions. One critical idea in my formulation was that the regions play a critical part by introducing new members to Atlasia. 

As the regions form the marrow of Atlasia's bones, the country depends on us to educate our citizens in the ways of our nation. As such, does it seem so strange that the country should look out for its regions, just as we look out for it?

Evidently, some people think it is. The Senate now discusses the "Fair" Amendment Procedure Amendment, which would change the amendment procedure to uninvolve the regions in the process. The regions and our unique cultures make Atlasia great, and I am here to protect the voices of the regions. They are now in their hour of need, and I say that we will answer this call. As the cultural tradition of the South is of primary importance to us Southerners, I believe that we must all speak now, in defense of our beloved region.

As the regions form an integral part of Atlasia, I would like to promote their role. By making these daily speeches, I am working to do just that. With the policy proposals I have made so far, I am committing myself to the further discussion of issues that will ensure the continued health of our region. I am running for Emperor because I believe that this region needs a leader to stand tall and speak up for it.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2013, 12:13:24 AM »

Traditions are very important to us here in the South. This includes our ways of life and our pasttimes. I remember when once-Governor, now-President Duke talked about these. One of the ones he mentioned was college football.

Back in 2005, the region passed an initiative instituting a program of school vouchers. Due to poor drafting, this program eliminated the region's public universities. Our traditions of college football and college education were obviated from the region for about 5 1/2 years.

Noticing this, I acted quickly as Emperor to restore these institutions while we were first putting the budget together. With the urgency of the situation at hand and my focus drawn elsewhere, I was unable to deal with the issue with more care. Now the time has come for us to treat the issue of school choice with more care. That is right; I am calling for a new school vouchers program.

As it stands, the region cannot bear the brunt of an extensive voucher program. The program I am proposing will be scaled back compared to what we had before, and focus on those who merit assistance. This may include a musical prodigy who needs help paying for tuition at an appropriate school to harness their talent. It may also include a top student at an inner city school, who could transfer to a top public school but for the means to travel there. Children are the future, as they say.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2013, 01:04:51 AM »

As Emperor, I drafted and signed the Southern Symbols Omnibus Bill. As our traditions are so important to us, observing them is important to keeping them intact. This bill recognizes several important historical battle sites.

I would like to so recognize several more historical sites, weaving together the rich fabric of our region's history for posterity. This includes more battle sites such as Fort Sumter, but also a broader swath of cultural landmarks, such as Graceland and the Governor's Plantation. While a Southerner is always proud to stand his ground, war certainly isn't the only thing we're known for.

Ultimately, I hope that this expansion of our region's cultural history will open up a dialogue on what constitutes the culture of the region, and help educate those newer to this place on what makes us tick. Tradition takes on a hollow sound when nobody is there to pass it on into the future.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2013, 10:40:42 PM »

When I said that I was happy with regional abortion laws as they are, I was forgetting about a few such laws. Back in 2005, our region passed an outstanding number of laws on the matter. It really is a credit to our interest in the matter. As it turns out, I do have a few more changes that I would like to implement:

* I would like to repeal the Parental Consent Initiative and Spousal Consent Initiative. The ultimate salient issue is whether or not the fetus should be considered to be a person. Having the consent of others to terminate it is logically irrelevant. It only makes sense as part of cynical attempt to make abortion a more bureaucratic process in hopes that women will not bother.

* I would also like to repeal the Pro-Informed Choice Initiative. This creates more bureaucratic red tape, and strikes me as unnecessary. The first two sections strike me as a sort of pathos argument, while I have several questions about the third one.

* I would like to amend the Public Assistance in Abortion Ban Initiative to state that facilities performing abortions shall not be permitted the use of money for abortions specifically. Planned Parenthood performs abortions, but they also do other things such as give women birth control. It makes no sense that they should be barred from using public money for the latter because they do the former.

Overall, it is clear that my views lean towards being pro-choice here. Despite this, I still identify the pro-life Legislators of the Mideast as being my allies, and why? Because we both believe that the issue of abortion should remain in the regions. The great Southern abortion argument will soon start up once again, and we will benefit from this activity.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2013, 10:45:43 PM »

Trying to jumpstart a new abortion fight after what the Mideast just went through is a bold step PiT. I hope you know what you're doing.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2013, 12:03:38 AM »

Trying to jumpstart a new abortion fight after what the Mideast just went through is a bold step PiT. I hope you know what you're doing.

The important thing for me is creating interest in regional affairs. Even if the pro-life side wins and we see a return to more restrictions on abortion, I feel like I will have succeeded if people invest themselves in the outcome.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2013, 01:54:52 AM »

You're running a remarkable campaign so far, PiT. You have lots of great ideas for the IDS and your region will be lucky to have you as their next Emperor.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2013, 02:25:00 AM »

You're running a remarkable campaign so far, PiT. You have lots of great ideas for the IDS and your region will be lucky to have you as their next Emperor.

Thank you. After spending such a long time as Emperor, I rather doubted that I could come up with any new ideas. It's been going swimmingly for me, though.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2013, 10:42:43 PM »

One issue that came up after I left office was the Militia. Mainly, we have had problems with the redundancy that exists in the law, with the Militia, the National Guard, the Regional Guard, and State Guards all performing similar functions. I have been made keenly aware of this problem as several disasters befell this region in my reign.

As such, my proposal is to combine the National Guard and Regional Guard under the banner of the Militia, as that is one of the most enduring symbols of our region. The National Guard would act as a federal relations department, existing as a liaison between the federal government and our region. Meanwhile, the Regional Guard would act as a logistical and emergency preparation department, based on the current legal role of its head, the Assistant Adjutant General.

Uniting our forces under the mantle of the militia, we can reduce overlap in function and maintain the traditional institutions of our region while modifying them to be more streamlined and effective. This is the path forward for the Empire. This is the path forward for the South.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2013, 10:49:47 PM »

Does the path forward for the South include invading the sovereign People's Region of the Pacific?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2013, 10:52:53 PM »

Does the path forward for the South include invading the sovereign People's Region of the Pacific?

No, not at all. I opposed efforts by the Imperial Legislature to impose its will on the Pacific during the crisis that followed in the aftermath of Operation Rimjob.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2013, 10:56:19 PM »

No, not at all. I opposed efforts by the Imperial Legislature to impose its will on the Pacific during the crisis that followed in the aftermath of Operation Rimjob.
Ok, that's good. Smiley Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2013, 11:07:45 PM »

Ok, that's good. Smiley Tongue

I think that part of what makes Atlasia great is the variety of flavors and viewpoints that having different regions offers. Empire is just another flavor of region in the end. I want the South to grow, but not at the expense of anybody else.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2013, 09:42:14 PM »

Yet another amendment has come to the fore, and this one threatens to prevent us from giving out life imprisonment without possibility of parole as a sentence. This seems a little offkilter to me. Usually they would let the regions have their fun prior to cruelly ripping it away from us. That's how it worked with the death penalty.

It is very likely that this amendment will fail, but that won't stop them from trying again. Before that happens, I would like Southerners to have the opportunity to decide on it, rather than just deciding if we're cool with the federal government taking the issue away from afar.

My plan is to propose a regional amendment on the matter, in order to start a regional discussion of the issue. I cannot say yet whether I would support it in the South, but I can say with conviction that I oppose the federal amendment. I do not believe that I am alone in this matter. Now let us claim this scrap of activity, as we wrest it from the dinner table of the Senate.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2013, 09:45:33 PM »

ENDORSED!
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2013, 10:19:15 PM »

First off, I would like to thank the Vice-President for his endorsement. It means a lot to me to have this broad base of support. Matt may be a fellow Federalist, but his views are a good deal more moderate than my own and I would never take his endorsement for granted. Or the endorsement of anyone else.

We have the November regional election coming up. I noticed that people hadn't been declaring, so I wanted to stir them to do so. Then I realized that it was not clear who was standing in November and who was standing in December. I had to look at old election booths to find out. If this isn't clear to me, then I'm not sure that it is really clear to anyone else.

The Imperial Almanac has had a spotty history. It started in February 2012 under the guidance of Yelnoc as a Southern equivalent of the Introduction to Atlasia thread, and was subsequently taken over by Sjoyce after his departure. It stood abandoned for about six months, until our current Speaker Scott took it over to organize business in the Legislature.

I think his usage of it now is very important, but I also found the previous incarnations very useful for detailing the Legislature broken down between Class A and B. If elected Emperor, I will take over this practice and maintain a list of Imperial officials in the Almanac, so there will be no confusion as to who stands election when.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2013, 08:46:39 PM »

Several days ago, I talked about expanding the Southern Symbols Omnibus Bill with new historical sites. At the same time, I left the door open for what could be considered a historical site, as I wanted us to have a dialogue on that matter.

GAworth, a Midwesterner, recently suggested the importance of developing regional parks. While I know that I have not been the biggest friend of theirs in the past, I would like to point out the exciting possibility for regional parks that exists in my proposed expansion to the symbols bill.

After all, the Everglades are a fine example of a natural habitat that exists as a regional symbol and would be a great place for such a park. The areas surrounding numerous Civil War battle sites would also be suitable candidates, and other places that people might think of can also count. My goal here is to create a dialogue on what constitutes our regional heritage, and places left relatively untouched by human development can certainly qualify just the same. The South has a rich pastoral tradition that should not be understated, nor should our love of idyllic nature scenes and of greenery.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2013, 10:51:41 PM »

Recently, the Imperial Legislature finished up with their Dignity of the Flag Act. Before that, though, they had been working on the same two acts for over two weeks. There were times in my reign that bills similarly took a long time to be worked out. Considering that a term in the Legislature is two months, a Legislator may potentially see very little be done in a stint here.

During my reign, we only discussed one bill at a time. Shortly after I left office, it was increased to two at a time. However, I think more flexibility may be appropriate. As has been argued historically, regions fulfill a valuable role as training for new Atlasians. Then, I would like to maximize the efficacy of this training.

I would like to adjust the rules of the Legislature floor to allow for two bills normally, but if two weeks pass without the introduction of a new bill then a third one will be brought to the floor. This would be a fourth slot in addition to the current two general slots and the emergency slot, and would disappear once debate and a final vote on the bill occupying it concluded.

The Imperial Legislature is proving to be a fine institution. My hope is that this plan to increase the flexibility of its operations will help it remain as such. We must soldier forth into this uncertain future, in the name of the South.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2013, 11:59:28 PM »

The number of bills to debate at the same time is something that has bugged me as well. You don't want too few or you get stagnation and little things delaying any debate for days, too many and you go down the queue too fast and run out of things to debate.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2013, 09:47:43 PM »

I notice that a certain amendment that would prevent us from imposing life imprisonment without parole is currently failing in 3/5 regions. Meanwhile, another amendment that would take the abortion debate away from us is set to not even leave the Senate. While there is still time for things to change, I foresee two more victories in a long train of victories of the regions over Nyman.

Results like this would not be possible without the courage of the men and women of the South. I've worked with many of you for such a long time, and I am proud to be seeking to work with you all again. This region is the house that we all built, and let us never forget that. I am running for Emperor because I believe in the promise that you all hold, and I want to continue building this house with you. I want us to build the sturdiest and proudest house that the world has ever known.

The wave of attacks is not over yet. I call on you all to continue standing tall and standing firm. March into the future without fear, and we will decide our own destinies. Whatever our policy is on abortion or on life imprisonment, it should be a policy of the region, by the region, for the region. That is my belief, and I have already outlined plans to tackle these issues. With your strength, it looks like we will have a chance to discuss these plans. Thank you, everybody.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2013, 09:57:12 PM »

Would you support abolition of life imprisonment and the right to have an abortion being written into the IDS Constitution?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2013, 10:39:36 PM »

Would you support abolition of life imprisonment and the right to have an abortion being written into the IDS Constitution?

I am indifferent to the prospect. As long as I can promote activity and promote the issues, what exactly we do with it is immaterial.

The wave of attacks is not over yet. I call on you all to continue standing tall and standing firm. March into the future without fear, and we will decide our own destinies. Whatever our policy is on abortion or on life imprisonment, it should be a policy of the region, by the region, for the region. That is my belief, and I have already outlined plans to tackle these issues. With your strength, it looks like we will have a chance to discuss these plans. Thank you, everybody.

Why should the regions decide? Why would the right to an abortion be any more or less important in the Southeast than it is in the Midwest? Why would the inhumanity of a life sentence without parole vary between the Southeast and the Northeast?

The regions should decide because it is more interesting that way. We can have five perspectives enshrined in law rather than just one. We can have more diversity between our regions, and more control over our own affairs. The Southerner holds the rich tapestry of human political discourse, and has been forced to surrender so much of it to Nyman. Only a fool will expect the next scrap to come willingly.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies