Is Cohabitation Immoral?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:13:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is Cohabitation Immoral?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Poll
Question: Is cohabitation immoral?
Democrat -Yes

Democrat -No

Republican -Yes

Republican -No

independent/third party -Yes

independent/third party -No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 109

Author Topic: Is Cohabitation Immoral?  (Read 16130 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2013, 06:12:50 PM »

A friend of mine recently purchased a house with his girlfriend who will most likely marry, and while I don't think anyone has a moral problem with it there's very definitely a sentiment of "who the hell does that?" floating around. Even though things will be fine in all likelihood, if they were to break up I couldn't fault anyone (especially a potential future partner) for questioning their competency in long term decision making and priority setting afterwards. In that sense I get Link's point, though I don't see how something so impermanent as modern marriage would somehow make this scenario "better."

I understand the desire to erase these stigmas, yet who among you would enter a relationship with a single parent fresh out of some other dude/dudette's house with the same optimism as a relationship with a single, childless and financially independent person?

E: To be clear, I take no issue with cohabitation, but it doesn't shock or SCARE (wtf?) me that there are people that take it into heavier consideration when evaluating someone's personal responsibility and whether or not they'd like to take on any of it.

I have no problem with people cohabitating and if I were in a relationship that lasted at least a year or so I'd be open to getting an apartment with her. But I'm not cosigning any kind of mortgage unless I want to put a ring on it. A friend of mine is in the process of buying a house with someone they're dating who seems very flaky/noncomittal about the whole thing and it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen in my opinion.
Link
« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2013, 06:42:09 PM »

A friend of mine is in the process of buying a house with someone they're dating who seems very flaky/noncomittal about the whole thing and it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen in my opinion.

Tell your friend not to do it.  The absolute worst psychological stuff I've seen happen with my friends is a break up.  And the cohabitators had it 10 times worse.  My view is once you get to that stage just put a ring on it.  If you are that unsure have your separate places until you are sure.  Morality aside it's just good advice.  It is so much easier to walk away from a relationship when you don't have to move out and split stuff.  Most relationships are over long before they are over.  You really don't want to deal with some psycho and/or depressed girl when you are trying to move on with your life.  Or you don't want to deal with the jealousy when you come home and you just know she was out doing the nasty with some other dude.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2013, 12:24:23 AM »

From the thread "Ermahgerd, Rick Santorum's on The Colbert Report".

Link
« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2013, 12:44:51 PM »

Man I was trying to forget about Santorum.  Speaking of cohabitation.  That story about his wife cohabitating with the abortion doctor that delivered her when she met Ricky really grossed me out.  These people are doing all sorts of stuff I wouldn't approve of and they are on TV telling me how to live my life.

I guess they just move the morality line to suit whatever ph-cked up lifestyle they are living at the moment.  I know it probably "scares the sh*t" out of some people in this thread but I think it's f'ed up to sleep with someone who's seen your moms vagina.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2013, 07:57:12 PM »

My parents  cohabitated for 20 years and had four children without ever saying "I do" so no of course I don't. Personally I would probably want to marry my partner at one point though. 
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #105 on: November 25, 2013, 12:48:36 AM »

A friend of mine is in the process of buying a house with someone they're dating who seems very flaky/noncomittal about the whole thing and it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen in my opinion.

Tell your friend not to do it.  The absolute worst psychological stuff I've seen happen with my friends is a break up.  And the cohabitators had it 10 times worse.  My view is once you get to that stage just put a ring on it.  If you are that unsure have your separate places until you are sure.  Morality aside it's just good advice.  It is so much easier to walk away from a relationship when you don't have to move out and split stuff.  Most relationships are over long before they are over.  You really don't want to deal with some psycho and/or depressed girl when you are trying to move on with your life.  Or you don't want to deal with the jealousy when you come home and you just know she was out doing the nasty with some other dude.

I don't agree with this based on my experience, but perhaps it is a stage of life thing.
Repub242
Jack982
Rookie
United States

« Reply #106 on: May 22, 2014, 03:58:53 PM »

Yes, living together before marriage is immoral in my opinion.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies