Is Cohabitation Immoral?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:30:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is Cohabitation Immoral?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Poll
Question: Is cohabitation immoral?
Democrat -Yes

Democrat -No

Republican -Yes

Republican -No

independent/third party -Yes

independent/third party -No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 109

Author Topic: Is Cohabitation Immoral?  (Read 16227 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2013, 05:34:27 PM »

Not at all, but I can't understand couples that cohabitate for several decades and never marry. I don't disapprove, but the lack of desire to go the full distance kinda perplexes me.

Perhaps some people don't believe they need the state to legitimate their relationship with a shiny certificate?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2013, 05:37:06 PM »

Not at all, but I can't understand couples that cohabitate for several decades and never marry. I don't disapprove, but the lack of desire to go the full distance kinda perplexes me.

Perhaps some people don't believe they need the state to legitimate their relationship with a shiny certificate?
I'm not talking about the state (I support the abolition of the marriage license) but what I don't understand is how some religious couples I know do not want to get married in the church? It's not like they will go to hell if they don't, and I don't think even the most socially conservative Christians would care, but it just perplexes me.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2013, 05:44:23 PM »

I agree with General Mung Beans and realisticidealist in principle but I recognize that many people's lives don't actually work that way and it's often not really their fault.

I think most people's lives work that way and never would have but for the veneer of a marriage as being the only way in which sexual relationships could be established. I think marrying prior to establishing sexual compatibility or even establishing a personal space can be quite dangerous.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2013, 05:59:53 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2013, 06:20:15 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

I agree with General Mung Beans and realisticidealist in principle but I recognize that many people's lives don't actually work that way and it's often not really their fault.

I think most people's lives work that way and never would have but for the veneer of a marriage as being the only way in which sexual relationships could be established. I think marrying prior to establishing sexual compatibility or even establishing a personal space can be quite dangerous.

I definitely agree as far as the personal space side of things goes. I'd say it's a downright good idea to at least spend some time feeling out the basic elements of space-sharing and going about daily life together before getting married and perhaps before deciding to, and a bad idea not to. I don't feel that way about sex but, well, I wouldn't know, really.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2013, 06:18:20 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2013, 06:21:58 PM by realisticidealist »

"Sexual compatibility" as a static construct that people either have or don't have is a myth. Any couple in a healthy relationship where both parties communicate and compromise as needed are able to create sexual compatibility.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2013, 06:26:21 PM »

Can those arguing 'yes' please give a good argument other than "it hurts my feelings"?
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2013, 06:44:21 PM »

Of all the poll results I have seen here, this is one of the most ridiculous. 30% voting yes - are you guys serious?
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2013, 11:10:46 PM »

The idea that, five years into the 21st century, there was still one third of the voters who answered yes, scares the sh*t out of me.

The vote appears to be holding up well, 13 years in...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2013, 03:20:20 AM »

"Sexual compatibility" as a static construct that people either have or don't have is a myth. Any couple in a healthy relationship where both parties communicate and compromise as needed are able to create sexual compatibility.

'Compromise as needed' = ridiculously low standards.  One should try to find what actually satisfies, not settle for third rate.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2013, 03:44:24 AM »

If they're having sex, then yes. If not, then it depends.

Sex can be immoral, but whether that's the case has little to do with whether or not the people having sex have a marriage license.

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2013, 04:40:55 AM »

Sex can be immoral, but whether that's the case has little to do with whether or not the people having sex have a marriage license.

I don't think it's the civil aspect of marriage that people who believe this generally find important.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2013, 05:17:06 AM »
« Edited: November 04, 2013, 05:18:39 AM by Franzl »

I don't think it's the civil aspect of marriage that people who believe this generally find important.

I certainly hope not. But it appears to me that they value the status of marriage more highly than mutual feelings.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2013, 07:08:14 AM »

I certainly hope not. But it appears to me that they value the status of marriage more highly than mutual feelings.

And such thinking undoutedly leads to the preservation of the marriage even if the feelings within the institution are no longer mutual.
Link
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2013, 08:23:44 AM »

Is it even a question?  I don't know of any Judeo Christian belief system that condones it.  So yes it is immoral unless you don't believe in Judeo Christian beliefs.  Which is totally okay.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2013, 11:05:47 AM »

Not only is it not immoral, I think it's a fantastic idea. It's a much better idea in many instances than simply getting married so that people can live [sleep] together.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2013, 09:06:40 PM »

I think getting married without living together first is far more immoral.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2013, 09:07:11 PM »

No (normal).
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2013, 10:55:46 PM »

I honestly can't think of a single poster here who I'd expect to vote "yes" and yet there will inevitably be some "yes" votes. Perplexing.

You need to start hanging out with the socons more Wink

Yes - (GOP)

So it's immoral for a boyfriend/girlfriend pair to live together because they don't make enough money to maintain separate residences for themselves?

I don't view this as a sort of "minimum to get an excuse" issue. I can see some circumstances where it would be the best answer to a very bad situation, but I think such cases are relatively rare. In most cases, moving back in with Mom and Dad or finding a roommate on Craigslist are the better options.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2013, 11:09:53 PM »

I honestly can't think of a single poster here who I'd expect to vote "yes" and yet there will inevitably be some "yes" votes. Perplexing.

You need to start hanging out with the socons more Wink

Yes - (GOP)

So it's immoral for a boyfriend/girlfriend pair to live together because they don't make enough money to maintain separate residences for themselves?

I don't view this as a sort of "minimum to get an excuse" issue. I can see some circumstances where it would be the best answer to a very bad situation, but I think such cases are relatively rare. In most cases, moving back in with Mom and Dad or finding a roommate on Craigslist are the better options.

A lot of people don't live in the same city or region as their immediate or extended family.

And having roommates really isn't something one does past age 25 or so unless perhaps they live in New York City and aren't a One Percenter.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2013, 11:30:37 PM »

No
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2013, 02:27:22 PM »

This.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2013, 09:52:36 AM »

From what I understand, "cohabitation" has been part of American life for generations. A question like this is very similar to whether or not slavery should be legal.  Republicans keep saying that there is this silent epidemic of Sociopathy and Nymphomania and it just isn't there save for the Sociopathy created in the witch hunt itself.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2013, 10:11:21 AM »

Unless your Bushie, why is there more than one "yes" vote?   Roll Eyes
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2013, 10:49:36 AM »

...no? I don't see anything objectionable about it.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2013, 12:15:14 PM »

Republicans keep saying that there is this silent epidemic of Nymphomania...

Man, I wish!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies