Is Cohabitation Immoral? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:19:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is Cohabitation Immoral? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is cohabitation immoral?
Democrat -Yes

Democrat -No

Republican -Yes

Republican -No

independent/third party -Yes

independent/third party -No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 109

Author Topic: Is Cohabitation Immoral?  (Read 16259 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« on: November 03, 2013, 03:54:39 PM »

I honestly can't think of a single poster here who I'd expect to vote "yes" and yet there will inevitably be some "yes" votes. Perplexing.

You need to start hanging out with the socons more Wink

Yes - (GOP)

So it's immoral for a boyfriend/girlfriend pair to live together because they don't make enough money to maintain separate residences for themselves?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 11:09:53 PM »

I honestly can't think of a single poster here who I'd expect to vote "yes" and yet there will inevitably be some "yes" votes. Perplexing.

You need to start hanging out with the socons more Wink

Yes - (GOP)

So it's immoral for a boyfriend/girlfriend pair to live together because they don't make enough money to maintain separate residences for themselves?

I don't view this as a sort of "minimum to get an excuse" issue. I can see some circumstances where it would be the best answer to a very bad situation, but I think such cases are relatively rare. In most cases, moving back in with Mom and Dad or finding a roommate on Craigslist are the better options.

A lot of people don't live in the same city or region as their immediate or extended family.

And having roommates really isn't something one does past age 25 or so unless perhaps they live in New York City and aren't a One Percenter.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 08:48:23 PM »

The idea that, five years into the 21st century, there was still one third of the voters who answered yes, scares the sh*t out of me.

Lol!  Wut?

So if you brought a girl home who had live out of wedlock with some other dude for three years and your mother said she frowned upon that type of behavior it would "scare the sh*t" out of you?

My advice?  Grow a pair.  Newsflash, in life sometimes you encounter people who disagree with you.

What reasonable person would disapprove of people in a relationship that lasted three years deciding to live together? She wouldn't have lived with "some other dude" for that long unless it was a serious relationship or a very close gay roommate.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 06:12:50 PM »

A friend of mine recently purchased a house with his girlfriend who will most likely marry, and while I don't think anyone has a moral problem with it there's very definitely a sentiment of "who the hell does that?" floating around. Even though things will be fine in all likelihood, if they were to break up I couldn't fault anyone (especially a potential future partner) for questioning their competency in long term decision making and priority setting afterwards. In that sense I get Link's point, though I don't see how something so impermanent as modern marriage would somehow make this scenario "better."

I understand the desire to erase these stigmas, yet who among you would enter a relationship with a single parent fresh out of some other dude/dudette's house with the same optimism as a relationship with a single, childless and financially independent person?

E: To be clear, I take no issue with cohabitation, but it doesn't shock or SCARE (wtf?) me that there are people that take it into heavier consideration when evaluating someone's personal responsibility and whether or not they'd like to take on any of it.

I have no problem with people cohabitating and if I were in a relationship that lasted at least a year or so I'd be open to getting an apartment with her. But I'm not cosigning any kind of mortgage unless I want to put a ring on it. A friend of mine is in the process of buying a house with someone they're dating who seems very flaky/noncomittal about the whole thing and it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen in my opinion.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies