It is unconstitutional to sticky Planet Corp on the Fantasy Elections board
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:22:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  It is unconstitutional to sticky Planet Corp on the Fantasy Elections board
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: It is unconstitutional to sticky Planet Corp on the Fantasy Elections board  (Read 3582 times)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 09, 2005, 04:48:51 AM »

I noticed that Planet Corp was stickied on the other fantasy board. Since it is a media source that pushes viewpoints, and that it is unconstitutional for the government to promote views, isn't it unconstitutional to sticky the Planet Corp thread? I mean, it is great to have a diverse media but still, that's like having a state-run media source. I would like someone to clear this up.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 07:34:09 AM »

Since it is a media source that pushes viewpoints, and that it is unconstitutional for the government to promote views

Please justify this.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 08:28:22 AM »

Isn't it the GM thread?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 08:42:51 AM »

#1 it is the GM thread.  #2 We had the Midgard Cronicle up there for months.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 01:11:01 PM »

FDR is an idiot who has a grudge against me for tearing him up about Iraq policy.

The Planet doesn't push views, its the GM thread, it just reports news.  While we plan an editorial page, the prospective members are of differeing ideologies and the page is open to public submissions.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 04:15:39 PM »

By this logic, PBS is horribly unconstitutional. I am afraid this is not a valid complaint, FDR.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 05:13:14 PM »

Go away
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 04:24:19 AM »

FDR is an idiot who has a grudge against me for tearing him up about Iraq policy.
So it would be okay if the state endorses media outlets? Mind you, if another thread like that were stickied like that I would want to take that down too. I guess free speech means the state has to endorse you. Be fair and act like everyone else.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 04:25:18 AM »

So it would be okay if the state endorses media outlets? Mind you, if another thread like that were stickied like that I would want to take that down too. I guess free speech means the state has to endorse you. Be fair and act like everyone else.

The state is not endorsing media outlets; John Ford is the GM and that newspaper is the method he uses to break news regarding current events.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005, 04:29:40 AM »

The state is not endorsing media outlets; John Ford is the GM and that newspaper is the method he uses to break news regarding current events.
Besides, if one media outlet is stickied then all media threads should be stickied. Ony stickying one thread is favouratism.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2005, 04:32:59 AM »

Okay. So you're completely impartial with no bias at all. And about the Iraq thing, whenever I post some link not from FAUX you go all mad. Remember how you said Reuters was a hippie org and Al Jazeera was a mouthpiece for militant Islam? Someone impartial doesn't do this.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2005, 07:36:15 AM »

Besides, if one media outlet is stickied then all media threads should be stickied. Ony stickying one thread is favouratism.

You are yet to establish how favouritism is unconstitutional.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2005, 01:21:23 PM »

This is absolute lunacy. Being a newspaper owner myself I see nothing wrong with the stickying of the GM thread. The Midgard Chronicle was stickied and nobody complained especially the other newspaper owners. The GM thread is not the media per se. It is a major part of the game and directs policy of the government and the affairs of the forum. It should be stickied for easier access and it only shows that you do not know how this game works. It's not like this is favouritism either. The guy who stickies all these threads is Gustaf who is not now a member of the government. He was asked to do so by John Ford not the government, to my knowledge. I'm sure that if I wanted to, and their was enough room, Gustaf would sticky the National Atlasian too for simplicities sake and for easier access.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2005, 01:29:03 PM »

Okay. So you're completely impartial with no bias at all. And about the Iraq thing, whenever I post some link not from FAUX you go all mad. Remember how you said Reuters was a hippie org and Al Jazeera was a mouthpiece for militant Islam? Someone impartial doesn't do this.

That has nothing to do with fantasy politics. His paper supplys scenarios for the government to work on so naturally it would be good to sticky it so people can access it easier.

Not that it matters but I'm not really sure where we established that stickying of posts is government endorsement.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2005, 03:09:37 PM »

Sigh....

I often to hesitate to comment on these things, but here it goes.  Ford's thread is the GM thread.  The GM thread has been stickied since virtually it's inception.  It's part of the game.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2005, 03:27:53 PM »

Hey, buddy, go away and don't bother us with your crap. The GM thread gets stickied, that's the way it goes. If you have a problem with that, go away.  No one forces you to come here.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2005, 05:12:58 PM »

FDR,

The government did not sticky the thread, the Forum Moderator did.  He is not a government official, and the government does no determine what gets stickied.  The mdoerator determines what gets stickied based on making life easier for Forumers.

The GM thread is stickied because it is different than all other news threads.  Its not just some newspaper.  I don't just report the news.  I am the Game Manager, or GM, an official position appointed by the President.  I don't report news, I make it.  I determine the outcomes of all government policy and what our world looks like so the government can act accordingly.  This was a job held by Ernest, Niles, Jake, Hugh, and DanielX before me, all their threads were stickied.

I never said Reuters was a hippy organization, I said you were a dirty hippy.  I said Al Jazeera was a mouthpiece for radical Islam because, get this, IT IS A MOUTHPIECE FOR RADICAL ISLAM!!!

In any event, what I post outside the Fantasy Forum has nothing to do with whether the Daily Planet pushes views on the GM thread.  If you can find some kind of bias in my news, point it out.  All GMs have point of view, the job only requires they be fair to all views in the execution of their offical duties.

Adieu, La Canndienne.  I nominate you as the new Laughinstock of Atlasia, for demanding the GM thread be unstickied and treated like any other newspaper.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2005, 05:19:48 PM »

I agree with the rest of you here, and common sense should go ahead of legalese here anyway.

But a disturbing trend I have noticed is that when people not always active in fantasy come by and say something that someone not educated in fantasy politics would, we tell them to go away or otherwise act very smug. Educate the guy, don't shove him out because he doesn't understand the way things are done.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2005, 05:30:06 PM »

Adieu, La Canndienne.  I nominate you as the new Laughinstock of Atlasia, for demanding the GM thread be unstickied and treated like any other newspaper.

On John Ford's request I shall change the Laughingstock of Atlasia page on the Wiki and I nominate FDR for Ass Clown of the month.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2005, 05:40:25 PM »

On John Ford's request I shall change the Laughingstock of Atlasia page on the Wiki and I nominate FDR for Ass Clown of the month.

This post is only given to people that severely piss me off, and whilst FDR has undoubtedly pissed others off, but I'm yet to really interact with him on the forums.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2005, 05:41:39 PM »

This post is only given to people that severely piss me off, and whilst FDR has undoubtedly pissed others off, but I'm yet to really interact with him on the forums.

I withdraw my nomination
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2005, 06:45:32 PM »

FDR, the Daily Planet is not a bias news source.  IT IS THE NEWS SOURCE.

John Ford is the GM and therefore he makes the news of Atlasia.  If it isn't reported by Ford or any GM in the future, it never happened and isn't news.
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2005, 06:47:01 PM »

The National Journal is biased and proud of it!

Siege
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2005, 06:49:24 PM »

Besides, the stickies aren't controlled by the government.  Gustaf just stickies whenever we say STICKY THIS or UNSTICKY THAT...you know.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2005, 12:56:07 PM »

bump for amusement.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies