1828 U.S. Presidential Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:43:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  1828 U.S. Presidential Election
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: "A rematch for the ages!"
President John Quincy Adams (National-Massachusetts)/Secretary of State Henry Clay (National-Kentucky)

Senator Martin Van Buren (Republican-New York)/Senator Levi Woodbury (Republican-New Hampshire)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: 1828 U.S. Presidential Election  (Read 1451 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 04, 2013, 03:24:18 PM »

Since his inauguration, the presidency of John Quincy Adams has sparked national debate and controversy. On foreign policy he had annually approved increases in the Navy and issued the Adams Doctrine, instructing that European empires stay out of the affairs of the Western Hemisphere. As well, despite slowing the sales of land in the West to the chagrin of settlers, he has annexed Florida as part of his new doctrine, appointing General Winfield Scott to be Governor of the territory. In economic policy, he has approved the first tariff increases since the end of the Jefferson administration and has increased domestic spending for internal improvements.

While several Republicans, especially those in the West and the South and led by William Clark, are criticizing Adams' foreign policy as too little too late. Clark, in his 1820 campaign, criticized the perceived weaknesses of Clinton's diplomacy with Europe, and such charges seem to have carried over to Adams. However, the Van Buren campaign has eschewed such rhetoric and seems to take no official stance on the Adams Doctrine and would likely maintain it. Instead, Van Buren's campaign is based on helping to more greatly expand the West, establishment of an Independent Treasury system, and lowered tariffs.

Three days.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 03:44:55 PM »

Van's the man.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 05:06:51 PM »

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 05:14:37 PM »

Adams.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 05:15:17 PM »

JQA
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 05:21:19 PM »

Reelect the President!
OAM

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 05:43:40 PM »

Yeah, the term's been at least above average.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 05:57:12 PM »

Four more years! 

P.S: When do we get maps?
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 06:01:21 PM »

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 06:05:19 PM »

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 08:30:59 PM »

Cath, I just remembered that you failed to mention the most important part of Adams's foreign policy in your write-up: his approval of an expedition to the North Pole to search for mole-men living inside the earth. Would a President Van Buren approve such a heroic venture? I think not.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 08:46:15 PM »

Yo dawg, just a question about precedent vis-a-vis real life and how this dynamic relates to Future President Clay. Everyone here knows that this forum has an almost unhealthy obsession with Henry Clay, and no matter who wins this time he'll probably be President in 1832. Now, seeing as we've got ourselves precedent for retiring after three or two terms, and this forum's previously mentioned propensity for Clay presidencies, I'm gonna go ahead and assume that we're all gonna get together and have him win in '32, '36, and '40, and this is where the conundrum starts to kick in. See, as you are no doubt aware, Clay was the Whig Party nominee in '44, so my question is: is real life more important than term precedents or vice-versa, and if the former, will you have Clay run for a hypothetical fourth term in '44?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 12:44:31 AM »

Yo dawg, just a question about precedent vis-a-vis real life and how this dynamic relates to Future President Clay. Everyone here knows that this forum has an almost unhealthy obsession with Henry Clay, and no matter who wins this time he'll probably be President in 1832. Now, seeing as we've got ourselves precedent for retiring after three or two terms, and this forum's previously mentioned propensity for Clay presidencies, I'm gonna go ahead and assume that we're all gonna get together and have him win in '32, '36, and '40, and this is where the conundrum starts to kick in. See, as you are no doubt aware, Clay was the Whig Party nominee in '44, so my question is: is real life more important than term precedents or vice-versa, and if the former, will you have Clay run for a hypothetical fourth term in '44?

The same that will happen as did with Jefferson. Clay, assuming he's elected in 1832, would retire in 1844. However, he may try to make a re-appearance in 1848 if the party needs him.

Cath, I just remembered that you failed to mention the most important part of Adams's foreign policy in your write-up: his approval of an expedition to the North Pole to search for mole-men living inside the earth. Would a President Van Buren approve such a heroic venture? I think not.

Mole men are not a partisan issue. It is in the hearts and minds of every American to set their sights on one day uncovering a group of mole men, and even the Republican thrift would not prevent such an exercise of national destiny.

Four more years! 

Whenever Dallasfan sends them over, I guess.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 02:01:04 AM »

What has the composition of Congress been like these last few years?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 02:22:57 AM »

What has the composition of Congress been like these last few years?

Upon their creation, the Nationals commanded a majority under Henry Clay. Before that, Henry Clay had been Speaker thanks to a coalition made up largely of Republicans, but with support of some moderate Federalists and Western Fusion representatives as well. In 1826, their numbers took a blow, but the Nationals nevertheless retain a majority.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 06:23:46 AM »

Mole men are not a partisan issue. It is in the hearts and minds of every American to set their sights on one day uncovering a group of mole men, and even the Republican thrift would not prevent such an exercise of national destiny.

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 07:34:06 AM »

I do enjoy the pre-1920 elections as the voting is far more fluid and less D/R partisan.

Anyway, Adams/Clay.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 09:43:23 AM »

I do enjoy the pre-1920 elections as the voting is far more fluid and less D/R partisan.

Anyway, Adams/Clay.

I agree - it's not often you see you and me vs. TNF.
OAM

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 10:57:42 AM »

Whereas I play grumpy old man no matter what year it is Tongue
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 12:39:10 PM »

JQA
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 02:37:28 PM »

The same that will happen as did with Jefferson. Clay, assuming he's elected in 1832, would retire in 1844. However, he may try to make a re-appearance in 1848 if the party needs him.

Four more years! 

Whenever Dallasfan sends them over, I guess.

Dallasfan is making them?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2013, 04:04:27 PM »

I outsourced production of them due to my increasing workload. He's apparently in the midst if tinkering with 1824 right now.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2013, 05:08:57 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2013, 05:48:55 PM by dallasfan65 »

I outsourced production of them due to my increasing workload. He's apparently in the midst if tinkering with 1824 right now.

Correct, almost finished. I have 1804 finished already, and when I've caught up I'll post it as one omnibus.

Going to require quite a bit of neating up though.

EDIT: Rough draft, but here you go: (Delaware to be fixed)

Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2013, 08:26:33 PM »

Adams/Clay
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States