Social skills revisited
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:14:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Social skills revisited
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Social skills revisited  (Read 248 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 04, 2013, 05:37:41 PM »

First, I want to thank Bacon King for the original idea and thread. Smiley

Recently I have been reflecting on my own issues with social interaction, what's worked for me and what hasn't worked, and what my strengths are. I have realized that I sell myself short on a lot of things, which has made social isolation a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Having said that, I have learned that there's never a guarantee of a particular outcome in any given social situation-and you know what? That's the beauty of interacting with other people. Life would be boring and unfulfilling if everything happened in a predictable, "safe" way. Embrace the possibility of failure, as well as the possibility of success, and you have a higher success rate in social life than simply sitting at home with no one to talk to but yourself.

Of course, "success" and "failure" are to a great degree, in the eye of the beholder; what is successful for me will look different from Bacon King's definition of a good social life, to some extent. But though details differ, the concepts and themes are the same: learning specific social skills to add to your repertoire, when paired with the uniqueness of you as an individual, will allow you to have that much more of an impact when interacting with others. Smiley

So now, off my soapbox-what are some tips or helpful guidelines for social behavior that you can share with the rest of the forum? ("You" being everyone! Tongue ) Any testimonies/success stories that you want to share?

Thanks in advance!

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 05:41:11 PM »

I might have said this before, but think about what you have to offer and start off by finding places where those things will be appreciated. That will make interaction easier.

And don't be too afraid.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies