percent born in state of residence by congressional district
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:58:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  percent born in state of residence by congressional district
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: percent born in state of residence by congressional district  (Read 1909 times)
Linus Van Pelt

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2013, 04:22:35 PM »
« edited: November 07, 2013, 09:29:09 PM by The Head Beagle »

(Now with new version of the map, thanks to Miles, Fuzzybigfoot & Smid)

2012 ACS estimates.

Standard Atlas shades; the darkest is 80+, while the lightest is 20+.

Bigger version in the gallery.

Outline map due to the group effort of a number of posters led by Fuzzybigfoot here.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 04:28:05 PM »

Wow; thanks!
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 04:28:31 PM »

Is this not counting immigrants? California and New York look rather fishy to me.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 04:52:15 PM »

Is this not counting immigrants? California and New York look rather fishy to me.

It is as a percentage of all residents, so it includes immigrants. Part of the issue is that in NYC, the districts are basically too small to see. But still, the numbers are not as low as in some sunbelt districts; most districts in NYC and LA are in between 40 and 60% (on the lower end in NYC). These districts tend to have a very high percentage of their US-born born in-state; they have low domestic in-migration, and immigrants have more children than average (who are frequently US-born).

This is not to deny, though, that there may be some error in the ACS estimates.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 05:35:16 PM »

What are the extremes (as in the districts with the highest and lowest percentages)?
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 06:04:26 PM »

Oooooo.

Any chance we could see an NYC zoom?
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 08:11:43 PM »

The highest nationwide is MI-4, 85.9%. The lowest is NV-3, 21.0%.

It would be handy if the Atlas's outline map had an inset of NYC, but as far as I know, we don't have this. (I mean, I guess one could take a screenshot of some media results page; not sure about the copyright status of that sort of thing). But anyway, here's the full list of values for the state. As you can see comparing things to the extremes above in this post, Long Island and upstate are quite high by national standards, while the city is mostly pretty low, though not extremely so.

NY-1 79.5%
NY-2 75.8%
NY-3 70.8%
NY-4 70.6%
NY-5 49.4%
NY-6 42.5%
NY-7 45.6%
NY-8 53.6%
NY-9 46.0%
NY-10 45.7%
NY-11 64.3%
NY-12 41.2%
NY-13 46.8%
NY-14 44.5%
NY-15 50.1%
NY-16 56.8%
NY-17 61.7%
NY-18 70.3%
NY-19 76.2%
NY-20 77.3%
NY-21 77.4%
NY-22 80.0%
NY-23 73.7%
NY-24 80.0%
NY-25 74.3%
NY-26 80.1%
NY-27 85.1% (second-highest nationwide)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 08:49:07 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2013, 10:02:31 PM by Smid »

It is as a percentage of all residents, so it includes immigrants. Part of the issue is that in NYC, the districts are basically too small to see.

I stole Fuzzy's map and enlarged it slightly (and touched-up the boundaries slightly for clarity after resizing), to help a little with that, although still no inset. My marginally bigger copy is in the blank maps gallery (districts shaded for easy identification, using the DRA colour scheme as a key), if you want to borrow it, so long as you credit Fuzzy/Miles.

Edit: I should also so great work on this, it's fantastic!

Edit 2: Started work on a NYC inset.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 09:09:17 PM »

It is as a percentage of all residents, so it includes immigrants. Part of the issue is that in NYC, the districts are basically too small to see.

I stole Fuzzy's map and enlarged it slightly (and touched-up the boundaries slightly for clarity after resizing), to help a little with that, although still no inset. My marginally bigger copy is in the blank maps gallery (districts shaded for easy identification, using the DRA colour scheme as a key), if you want to borrow it, so long as you credit Fuzzy/Miles.

Edit: I should also so great work on this, it's fantastic!

Oh, thanks. I'm thinking of making maps for the other categories (foreign-born & born in another US state), so I can use that.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 09:15:01 PM »

The highest nationwide is MI-4, 85.9%. The lowest is NV-3, 21.0%.

It would be handy if the Atlas's outline map had an inset of NYC, but as far as I know, we don't have this. (I mean, I guess one could take a screenshot of some media results page; not sure about the copyright status of that sort of thing). But anyway, here's the full list of values for the state. As you can see comparing things to the extremes above in this post, Long Island and upstate are quite high by national standards, while the city is mostly pretty low, though not extremely so.

NY-1 79.5%
NY-2 75.8%
NY-3 70.8%
NY-4 70.6%
NY-5 49.4%
NY-6 42.5%
NY-7 45.6%
NY-8 53.6%
NY-9 46.0%
NY-10 45.7%
NY-11 64.3%
NY-12 41.2%
NY-13 46.8%
NY-14 44.5%
NY-15 50.1%
NY-16 56.8%
NY-17 61.7%
NY-18 70.3%
NY-19 76.2%
NY-20 77.3%
NY-21 77.4%
NY-22 80.0%
NY-23 73.7%
NY-24 80.0%
NY-25 74.3%
NY-26 80.1%
NY-27 85.1% (second-highest nationwide)

Thanks!  Those numbers make sense.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 12:32:05 AM »
« Edited: November 13, 2013, 12:40:51 AM by Smid »

Completed NYC Inset:

LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 12:39:47 AM »

This is a good map of working class areas.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 11:43:15 AM »

NOVA sticks out like a sore thumb
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 07:50:23 PM »

Thanks! Looks good.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 08:09:23 PM »

Thank Fuzzy/Miles - they did the great volume of work, I only did a few minor aesthetic changes.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 11:57:34 AM »

Eh, not really, there's somewhat of a correlation but quite a few exceptions stick out.  The Main Line and Nevada, for instance.  And, not that you can see it, but my own congressional district doesn't fit the pattern at all, either.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 12:28:09 PM »

PA-7 totally looks like Bullwinkle!

Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 09:32:27 PM »

I have edited the original post to use this new map. In addition to the New York inset, the whole image is larger in the full right-click/gallery etc. version than the previous one, so the other metropolitan districts are a little clearer as well.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2013, 10:25:13 PM »

This matches population growth and migration within the U.S. especially in most of FL, AZ, and NV. I thought southern CA and NYC would be lighter.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2013, 12:48:51 AM »

Thank Fuzzy/Miles - they did the great volume of work, I only did a few minor aesthetic changes.

You made our map bigger, which was really helpful!
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 12:41:33 AM »

One more slight edit to include NJ District boundaries on the NYC Inset map.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2013, 07:18:33 PM »

Next: percent born in the USA, but outside state of residence. So, interstate domestic migrants only, excluding both the foreign-born and those born in state.

Highest nationwide is AZ-4 with 62.5%. Lowest is NY-6 with 3.6%.

Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2013, 08:01:23 PM »

Some of this is surprising, some less so... I assume New Hampshire is people who have moved up from Boston and commute? Florida and Arizona are retirees? Las Vegas probably attract people from far afield, too, I would assume, and probably the mountains around Colorado. Florida's first district is probably the military base, I guess, but I'm surprised San Diago isn't higher, and Hawaii. Alaska, I assume, is people moving up to work in oil and gas?

I'm surprised, though, about Wyoming, Vermont, Idaho's first, being so high. I'm also surprised at how low some of the big cities are... I thought there'd be more people moving to LA, San Fran, Chicago and NYC, but it seems Americans are as more likely to move to Arkansas and Oklahoma?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2013, 12:47:14 PM »

Some of this is surprising, some less so... I assume New Hampshire is people who have moved up from Boston and commute? Florida and Arizona are retirees? Las Vegas probably attract people from far afield, too, I would assume, and probably the mountains around Colorado. Florida's first district is probably the military base, I guess, but I'm surprised San Diago isn't higher, and Hawaii. Alaska, I assume, is people moving up to work in oil and gas?

I'm surprised, though, about Wyoming, Vermont, Idaho's first, being so high. I'm also surprised at how low some of the big cities are... I thought there'd be more people moving to LA, San Fran, Chicago and NYC, but it seems Americans are as more likely to move to Arkansas and Oklahoma?
Small population states always have high percentages in this statistic.

Let's assume that there are equal numbers of persons moving from NH to MA and MA to NH.  Those moving to MA will be dispersed among 9 districts, while those moving from MA to NH will be concentrated in two districts.  There is pretty strong two-way migration between states.  Retirees move to Florida or Arizona, but then some move back to live with relatives in their 80s.  A wife who moved New Hampshire after her marriage returns to Massachusetts with her NH-born children after her divorce, etc.

Remember that this includes current residents who were born in another state.  California will have some 85 YO who moved from Oklahoma during the Depression.  Alaska had very few people at the time of statehood.  The current blue for Alaska is likely much paler than previous decades.  The same is true to some extent for Wyoming.  You're not seeing migration over the past decade (though there is census data on more recent residence).

You can also see the effect of cross-border moves, in places like Kansas City, Kansas; Indiana suburbs of Louisville and Chicago, Kentucky suburbs of Cincinnati, Wisconsin suburbs of the Twin Cities, Washington suburbs of Portland. West Virginia exurbs of Washington.  It even shows up in places like the southern tier of New York.

The panhandle of Florida is likely retirees moving down from Alabama and elsewhere in the south.  Retirees from the north are more likely to move to the peninsula.  People from Miami or Tampa, probably think that Destin is too cold and that the people have an accent and use "y'all" instead of "youz guyz".

Since this is percentage of current residents, the number in New York and California particularly are diluted by foreign immigrants.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2013, 01:02:41 PM »

You can also see the effect of cross-border moves, in places like Kansas City, Kansas; Indiana suburbs of Louisville and Chicago, Kentucky suburbs of Cincinnati, Wisconsin suburbs of the Twin Cities, Washington suburbs of Portland. West Virginia exurbs of Washington.  It even shows up in places like the southern tier of New York.
The Great Exodus still shows up very much in tables of state of birth by state of residence. Lots of Deep Southern natives in all the northern inner cities still, and IIRC Mississippi still was in 1990 the no.2 state of birth of Illinois residents overall. Similarly lots of Georgia and Carolinas natives in NYC.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies