The Next President of the United States
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 07:57:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The Next President of the United States
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Next President of the United States  (Read 1989 times)
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2013, 03:05:08 PM »

Christie won't make it through the primary.

Pretty much, he has a lot of baggage.

Hilary Clinton will President in January 2017.
A little too hasty. Wasn't Hillary Clinton supposed to be president in January 2009?

Yeah, but she went up against a guy with the best organization in Presidential election history.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2013, 07:02:43 AM »

"The worker" is about as meaningless a phrase as "the people".

Something tells me you have never experienced the humiliation of paid employment, friend.  'Worker' means your face is shoved in the sh**t every day all day long.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2013, 10:44:05 PM »

Yeah, this has a lot of shades of Giuliani '08. Not that I expect Christie to fail as badly as Giuliani did, but there are parallels.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2013, 08:07:29 PM »

To win the Presidency in 2016, Christie is my party's best and only hope!

I certainly think so.  Christie's not a RINO; he's a guy who, in most years, would have been the kind of candidate that would be perfectly acceptable to most of the GOP, based on his overall issue positions.  In addition, he offers a real chance to expand the map for the GOP.

There are guys that the GOP could nominate that people would like and would be OK Presidents that are too unfamiliar with the general public (Mitch Daniels, maybe John Thune), or guys with special baggage (Jeb Bush and the Bush name/dynasty issue).  There are guys that people would like that would be strong candidates that have a key re-election fight ahead of them where anything could happen (Scott Walker, John Kasich, Susana Martinez).  There are guys who are rock stars who are too closely associated with the party's wingnuts (Marco Rubio, Rand Paul).  There are guys who might be OK Presidents that have flopped badly when offered greater exposure (Bobby Jindal).  There are guys who have embarrassed themselved in the past whom people wonder just why they are even trying to run in 2016 (Rick Santorum, Rick Perry).  And there is Ted Cruz, who is the biggest embarrassment the GOP has to deal with within its ranks.

After being whipped by Obama twice, the GOP (I would hope) is developing a practical streak.  New Jersey was hit by a major storm at an incredibly inconvenient time (politically speaking) and needed the help of the Federal Government right then.  What would a reasonable person expect their Governor to do at such a time if it was their state and their community hard hit?  Openly criticize the President who came to help?  Impugn the motives of the visiting President?  Criticize the efforts of FEMA early and often?  Leave the matter of governing to his surrogates and go out and campaign for the President's opponent?  What Christie did at that time was what REASONABLE people would expect THEIR Governor to do under the circumstances he was faced with.  If the rest of the GOP can't see this, then they are, collectively, too immature to be trusted with the reins of City Hall, let alone the White House and Congress.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2013, 08:17:10 PM »

After being whipped by Obama twice, the GOP (I would hope) is developing a practical streak.

The problem is that 2008 can be blamed on the Financial Crisis and 2012 can be blamed on the messenger.  Romney ran a campaign that was poor in everything except money.  Don't get me wrong. It's possible the GOP will pick Christie or some other sane Republican, but I see no particular reason why they inevitably will because the GOP has learned its lesson.  If the GOP could learn lessons, they never would have forced the shutdown.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies